Guests Smoke Weed In Room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Vermont about to legalize, we're debating what to do about guests who want to light up on property. We ban smoking in all businesses and have designated outdoor smoking areas, but are not sure if we're going to start policing WHAT they're smoking.
One plus to legalization: We shouldn't have any guests hiding their habit in their rooms and bathrooms.
One negative: Mrs. Swann and I are going to have to agree on whether we're going to allow it all on premises. Stay tuned.

With Vermont about to legalize, we're debating what to do about guests who want to light up on property. We ban smoking in all businesses and have designated outdoor smoking areas, but are not sure if we're going to start policing WHAT they're smoking.
One plus to legalization: We shouldn't have any guests hiding their habit in their rooms and bathrooms.
One negative: Mrs. Swann and I are going to have to agree on whether we're going to allow it all on premises. Stay tuned..
PhineasSwann said:
One negative: Mrs. Swann and I are going to have to agree on whether we're going to allow it all on premises. Stay tuned.
just because it is becomes legal doesn't mean it should be done in public. I can think of a few other things that this can also apply to.

One negative: Mrs. Swann and I are going to have to agree on whether we're going to allow it all on premises. Stay tuned..
PhineasSwann said:
just because it is becomes legal doesn't mean it should be done in public. I can think of a few other things that this can also apply to.
I would rather it be done in public in our smoking areas, than hidden away in our rooms and bathrooms, where we don't allow it and its a PITA to remove the smell.

PhineasSwann said:
I would rather it be done in public in our smoking areas, than hidden away in our rooms and bathrooms, where we don't allow it and its a PITA to remove the smell.
I think if it were legal, I'd consider it the same as cigarette smoking. We say we don't permit it on our property, but we have a smoking area set up in the driveway.
Why should pot be any different as long as it is legal?

And how would you stop the edibles?

Vermont actually is not planning to legalize edibles. They waiting and learned from Colorado, which found regulating them is a major difficulty.
The Vermont bill (which passed the senate and now is in the house - the governor has said he will sign if the house OK's it) also does not allow for individuals to grow their own. It will also tax at about a 25% rate, which they found was high enough to bring in revenue, but low enough that it doesn't encourage the black market growers to stick around.

PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
It is legal in my state and I haven't changed a thing. No smoking indoors and each of their private decks are equipped with an ashtray. We haven't had any problems. If it becomes legal in your state, I would suggest just to continue business as usual.

PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
It is legal in my state and I haven't changed a thing. No smoking indoors and each of their private decks are equipped with an ashtray. We haven't had any problems. If it becomes legal in your state, I would suggest just to continue business as usual.
That would be my choice, but I fear I'm going to be outvoted one-to-one.

PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
If there is a tie, then the decision goes in the favor of the guest's comfort. At least it's worth a shot!

PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
I'm with you two. No smoking in house period. There's a sign that note the fact inside the front door. Can't miss it. Another one in the upstair's hall.

PhineasSwann said:
I would definitely consider what your other non-pot using guests would think? I'd be upset if a guest was smoking pot on the property and not return to such an establishment again. Many people don't feel it should be legalized (obviously me) so I'd take their feelings into consideration as well.
I'm right now about to edit our website to be COMPLETELY NON SMOKING PROPERTY - that includes EVERYWHERE on my 26 acre property. Guests go out and smoke then come back in and hang their winter jacket in the room which stinks and make my rooms spell like someone has been smoking in it. Also, I've had more chain smokers going out in the middle of the night and slamming doors waking up other guests. This week for example different guests went out at: 12:45am; 1:30am and 2:14am. Each time, banging doors. I know this because my special doorbell records their comings and goings and I can recall the history for up to a month. I've had it with smokers at all.

PhineasSwann said:
I would definitely consider what your other non-pot using guests would think? I'd be upset if a guest was smoking pot on the property and not return to such an establishment again. Many people don't feel it should be legalized (obviously me) so I'd take their feelings into consideration as well.
I'm right now about to edit our website to be COMPLETELY NON SMOKING PROPERTY - that includes EVERYWHERE on my 26 acre property. Guests go out and smoke then come back in and hang their winter jacket in the room which stinks and make my rooms spell like someone has been smoking in it. Also, I've had more chain smokers going out in the middle of the night and slamming doors waking up other guests. This week for example different guests went out at: 12:45am; 1:30am and 2:14am. Each time, banging doors. I know this because my special doorbell records their comings and goings and I can recall the history for up to a month. I've had it with smokers at all.
Wow. Either I don't hear them anymore or the smokers we've had recently didn't go out at night.
That would drive me nuts.
You bring up a good point about guest perceptions of pot smoking. I hadn't even considered that. Just figured we'd treat it like regular smoking and other intoxicants.
Food for thought.

PhineasSwann said:
Wow. Either I don't hear them anymore or the smokers we've had recently didn't go out at night.
You bring up a good point about guest perceptions of pot smoking. I hadn't even considered that. Just figured we'd treat it like regular smoking and other intoxicants.
Food for thought.
my neighbour had this with a guest who wanted to use is morrocan water tobacco pipe (forget their name) said he could do it in the garden - she was like "yes but as someone walking past what would they think you were doing?" I wouldn't have allowed it but there was a property on hotel inspector and they have a shed in the garden for it (moroccan water pipes) as a selling feature - don't think there was much uptake mind

PhineasSwann said:
Food for thought.
my neighbour had this with a guest who wanted to use is morrocan water tobacco pipe (forget their name) said he could do it in the garden - she was like "yes but as someone walking past what would they think you were doing?" I wouldn't have allowed it but there was a property on hotel inspector and they have a shed in the garden for it (moroccan water pipes) as a selling feature - don't think there was much uptake mind
A hookah?

PhineasSwann said:
Food for thought.
Morticia said:
Food for thought.
I think I mentioned this carefully, or maybe not so carefully. Because it is legal doesn't make it moral. More food for thought. As an innkeeper we really have to work out who our guests are, we simply can't be all things to all people, it never works.

Someone brought a hookah to the inn? Probably not the first time!
devil_smile.gif

Oh, you mean the pipe thingee.
Never mind.

Weed, tobacco, whatever. Just smoke outside where I indicate. Covered from rain, nice bench to sit on, private, 100 yards off the county road. Before, I would only mention smoking if I smelled tobacco on check-in. Since the state legalized, I now will mention the smoking spot if I sense a possible interest, just to put people at ease and to make sure they don't hide in the room smoking!
DW is not thrilled with the trend, but I see it as another niche guest amenity. Like a Tesla charger or a dog friendly room or a GF waffle. Make 'em happy.
But to answer your question. I doubt your toking guests will be responsive to a contact about charges. They probably won't want to admit it, especially if it is not legal in your state. In general, if there is a problem, act on it asap. Every day that goes by is another day away from the guest taking responsibility.

Well, continuing my hobby this week of bringing old threads back to life, I thought I'd post an update now that Vermont has not only legalized possession of the Johnny Redeye but has begun licensing dispensaries, including one just 200 yards down the road from us.

Nothing. No problems with guests smoking it in the smoking areas in front of kids. No people are smoking indoors. Not sure my clientele is the same clientele as our local weed superette.

I went inside when it first opened (for research purposes, of course). They check your ID as soon as you walk in to ensure you're of age, and then it looks just like a regular little retail shop. Just the stuff behind the glass isn't jewelry, but jars of buds, edibles like gummy bears, and pipes and accessories. No big deal.

Times change.

No smoking in the building is still no smoking in the building, also no candles. It’s a fire hazard.

No vaping either. It leaves an odor, no matter to me what some say.

Use the smoking area outside. Please, please dispose of those butts in the appropriate containers. I hate seeing them on the ground and in the flower beds. With the cost of cigarettes, I’m surprised new people start.

CBD is amazingly helpful to me for pain management and, no, I’m not high or stoned. But I take the edibles. I don’t want to inhale smoke of any kind.

Well, continuing my hobby this week of bringing old threads back to life...
Thoroughly enjoyed seeing this thread and so many old friends again! Several have been gone for years, but I still remember them well, and miss them.

Back