Guests' Table Ettiquette

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
First, I grimaced as I observed a guest take the sugar bowl spoon and stir his coffee. I became mortified when he cleaned the coffee off of the spoon by placing it in his mouth. He then set it on his placemat next to HIS COFFEE SPOON. (Yes we provide a complete place setting) I very quietly removed it and placed a new spoon on the sugar bowl platter.
The answer is Yes, some people were raised in a barn. I don't think he ever used his actual coffee spoon.
edited to add: They were nice folks though.

I'm surprised he didn't go to your refrigerator, take a big swig of milk from the carton, and put the carton back in the ice box.
I've had several fights with my brother over the years because when he gets seconds at the dinner table, he taps the serving spoon in his dirty plate a few times before returning it to the bowl.

I'm surprised he didn't go to your refrigerator, take a big swig of milk from the carton, and put the carton back in the ice box.
I've had several fights with my brother over the years because when he gets seconds at the dinner table, he taps the serving spoon in his dirty plate a few times before returning it to the bowl..
i dated a man (briefly) who licked his spoons and forks 'clean' and then put them back in his silverware drawer. blech. i was surprised he thought nothing of it.
maybe he was your guest!

its why we have cubes people kept using the spoon to stir their coffee (tea spoon on the saucer right there) and then put it back in the sugar ewwww.

I grimace a lot over guests' faux pas. The hands in the ice bucket. The spoon in mouth and then set on the counter where, if I don't take it away, another guest will use it for their coffee. The absolute worst? The guest who blows his nose in the cloth napkin. We have tissues in the dining room. In plain sight.

I had a man today who wore his baseball cap during breakfast.
I remove all the cutlery, even if it looks clean, from the table.... some people lick them clean.

I've had several fights with my brother over the years because when he gets seconds at the dinner table, he taps the serving spoon in his dirty plate a few times before returning it to the bowl..
i dated a man (briefly) who licked his spoons and forks 'clean' and then put them back in his silverware drawer. blech. i was surprised he thought nothing of it.
maybe he was your guest!
seashanty said:
We have dogs for that.
wink_smile.gif

maybe he was your guest!
I'm not sure why anything surprises me any more, but I continue to be disgusted by some of the nutty things folks do-example here!
I think I mentioned this one before but my husband was tidying the kitchen & a woman chewed up a carrot & proceed to SPIT it onto bread she had laid out to make a "sandwich"-while speaking with him! Disgusting!

maybe he was your guest!
seashanty said:
We have dogs for that.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
seashanty said:
We have dogs for that.
wink_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
Now thats funny!

Ah, we all need to remember that not everyone was brought up the same way we were, and / or had the same opportunities we had. Yes it's horrid and some are just boors who should know better, but many have never been taught, told or corrected
Maybe we should all adda "basic table etiquette guide" to our guest books, or posted in our dining areas.

maybe he was your guest!
I'm not sure why anything surprises me any more, but I continue to be disgusted by some of the nutty things folks do-example here!
I think I mentioned this one before but my husband was tidying the kitchen & a woman chewed up a carrot & proceed to SPIT it onto bread she had laid out to make a "sandwich"-while speaking with him! Disgusting!
Paradise said:
? why?

I remove all the cutlery, even if it looks clean, from the table.... some people lick them clean..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I remove all the cutlery, even if it looks clean, from the table.... some people lick them clean.
i remove all cutlery ... and all napkins ... have seen folks blow noses into napkins then refold them
but i don't care if a man wears his baseball cap during breakfast.

I remove all the cutlery, even if it looks clean, from the table.... some people lick them clean..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
i remove all cutlery ... and all napkins ... have seen folks blow noses into napkins then refold them
seashanty said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Anything that was on the table is treated as dirty. Period.

Back