Guests taking towels to the beach

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adabweeks

Reaction score
I would like to know what you do if people take your bathroom towels to the beach and they come back stained?
Thanks,
adabweeks

i have random towels that have been stained by i don't know what. those are our BEACH TOWELS.
it's very rude of guests to take your nice towels to the beach. yet another RULE in your rule book for guests.
i tried to get damages for stained towels (7 brand new bath sheets!) and was denied. for 'one or more of the following reasons' 1. because i had no policy in place, 2. because i did not provide an item that was reasonably expected to be provided (huh?) and 3. because i had no written policy in place advising guests of the fee for damaged items.

It is part of doing business with the public. you have to expect things like this. Keep the old ones and put them out in a basket or prominent place with a good sign saying "Please use these as your beach towels."

If you don't have old or beach towels available they WILL take them. Like a couple here for a triathalon. Surely this dude would have his own towel! NOT.
Make other available with a note so they know to use THOSE for outside.

we've have had the same problem with towels used by soldiers to clean their shoes... we have a basket of old towels in the hallway with a sign just for this. I need to remember to remind the guests, too.

i have random towels that have been stained by i don't know what. those are our BEACH TOWELS.
it's very rude of guests to take your nice towels to the beach. yet another RULE in your rule book for guests.
i tried to get damages for stained towels (7 brand new bath sheets!) and was denied. for 'one or more of the following reasons' 1. because i had no policy in place, 2. because i did not provide an item that was reasonably expected to be provided (huh?) and 3. because i had no written policy in place advising guests of the fee for damaged items..
seashanty said:
i tried to get damages for stained towels (7 brand new bath sheets!) and was denied. for 'one or more of the following reasons' 1. because i had no policy in place, 2. because i did not provide an item that was reasonably expected to be provided (huh?) and 3. because i had no written policy in place advising guests of the fee for damaged items.
Who gave you grief over that? The guest or the cc company?

I put brightly-striped beach towels in a basket in the guest's bathroom and point them out when I do "The Tour". I also have a wicker basket in the entrance hall full of old fashioned "picnic blankets" that I encourage people to toss in the car and take with them. SO FAR no problems.

It is part of doing business with the public. you have to expect things like this. Keep the old ones and put them out in a basket or prominent place with a good sign saying "Please use these as your beach towels.".
First time this weekend that I've had problems with that self tanning junk on a couple of towels & also a fitted sheet.
angry_smile.gif
Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Despite using Oxyclean in the wash & letting them soak, they had to go through twice. It's out on the second go around. I don't like using bleach as it seems to give a yellow hue to these really fluffy spa towels that I have. Stuff happens & you realize it's part of the biz, but it still ticks you off when it's a really good high quality towel.
sad_smile.gif

we've have had the same problem with towels used by soldiers to clean their shoes... we have a basket of old towels in the hallway with a sign just for this. I need to remember to remind the guests, too..
I have disposable shoe shine wipes (Big Lots or the dollar store) in the rooms & we get a fair number of military folks. Seems to be working well now. I just got some amenity samples & one includes the shoe shine sponges. I think they're too dinky.

I put brightly-striped beach towels in a basket in the guest's bathroom and point them out when I do "The Tour". I also have a wicker basket in the entrance hall full of old fashioned "picnic blankets" that I encourage people to toss in the car and take with them. SO FAR no problems..
I would do that or have them in a central location if that was an activity near here. I would also put that info in the room books...just in case there is the occasional person who actually reads the books. haha!
teeth_smile.gif

It is part of doing business with the public. you have to expect things like this. Keep the old ones and put them out in a basket or prominent place with a good sign saying "Please use these as your beach towels.".
Thank you all for the good ideas, as always!!
adabweeks

I keep two beach towels in each stateroom, plus a basket full on the aft deck where guests would need one coming in from swimming behind the yacht when we’re at anchor. For dockside B&B, they typically use the beach towels from their rooms, but are welcome to grab them from the basket out back as they leave. I even have some beach bags for carrying all the goodies to the beach, and a cooler for their use. The beach is right across the street and they can just walk over there.
I point out the availability of beach towels during the initial Welcome Aboard tour, and I’ve never had anyone even think about taking a bath towel off to the beach or to use for swimming/sunning.

Back