Guests that make you cry .....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
One night only - gentleman arrived with shopping bag of clean clothes and a lap top. Here to help his in-laws get ready for the holidays. GREAT guy and only guest for the night.
Turns out his wife was The Maine Lover and died falling off her favorite rocky peninsula just north of here two years ago ... so of course we get into the deep and meaningful questions of love, life & marriage.
? Does your husband tell you he loves you?
Me - "Yes - probably at least 5 times a day".
Him - "I loved my wife more than anything else in my entire life and I realized once she had gone that I hardly ever told her so ..... "
Not meant to be a "downer" but a reminder of how sometimes life (especially as an innkeeper) can get so overwhelming that we forget what is right in front of our noses.
..... to put things in perspective he started the conversation by telling me how badly the outside of my place needs painting. He was right - it does.
..... and then I got 24 roses and a beautiful Xmas center-piece from an elderly friend of a guest that stayed here two nights ago .... just to say thank you for making her friend comfortable. So far it's been a wet-eyed day
OH - and we just got a piano for our living room. I'm going to have to figure out how to post a picture of the piano next to the Xmas tree. It looks so good.

Aw. It's good when guests make you cry for sad rather than mad reasons.

I am just glad your answer was "Yes at least 5 times a day" or you would really be crying and feeling like poop.
Thanks for sharing, some guests can really tug at our heartstrings.
heart.gif

It may have been "wet-eyed" but what a wonderful day. Some guests come to us for a reason (other than trying to drive us nuts) and this guest is one of those. Someone who came to remind you of what you have and the love around you.
Do not make light of nor forget that because you are so uplifting and bring so much joy into all the lives that touch yours, you are wrapped in that love.

It may have been "wet-eyed" but what a wonderful day. Some guests come to us for a reason (other than trying to drive us nuts) and this guest is one of those. Someone who came to remind you of what you have and the love around you.
Do not make light of nor forget that because you are so uplifting and bring so much joy into all the lives that touch yours, you are wrapped in that love..
gillumhouse said:
Do not make light of nor forget that because you are so uplifting and bring so much joy into all the lives that touch yours, you are wrapped in that love.
That's really sweet, Gillum. And I think VERY true for many on this forum. Thanks for putting it in words.

Your post hits hard right now. We have guests who turned into friends (very rarely does this happen). We became wonderful friends and even traveled to Germany together a few years ago. Less than 2 weeks ago we got a call that the wife "J" had died in her sleep overnight. She was only 42. We've all been devastated, especially her husband "R". One thing that is giving him great comfort right now is that he knew that she truly loved him and they said "I love you" to each other at least twice a day.
We closed down a few days last week to be able to be with "R" and it's really hit my husband and I and try to be even more kind and loving to each other. It also gave us the kick in the butt we needed to get our wills finished and notarized. You just never know what will happen, so hold your loved ones close and let them know you love them.

Back