guests that request NO service???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is kind of off subject, but somewhat funny. While my husband and I were planning our honeymoon, we visited a prospective B&B, just to get a feel of the place to make sure it would be private. The inkeeper was showing us the rooms with her toy poodle following us all along. She then proceeded to enter into a guests suite, all the while saying, "These people are on their honeymoon too. They really didn't want anybody coming in here, but I'm sure it will be okay". My husband and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows. We felt extremely uncomfortable going in their room, because who knows what could be laying around. I almost objected, but after a quick peek, we left. About five minutes later, the innkeeper asked, "where's __ ?"(insert the poodle's name). She had locked him in the guest's suite! I almost wished she had left him in there so the guests would have found out. My husband and I immediately checked that one off the list. Any B&B that would let strangers into my room is not a place I would feel comfortable staying at!.
brighteyes_22 said:
This is kind of off subject, but somewhat funny. While my husband and I were planning our honeymoon, we visited a prospective B&B, just to get a feel of the place to make sure it would be private. The inkeeper was showing us the rooms with her toy poodle following us all along. She then proceeded to enter into a guests suite, all the while saying, "These people are on their honeymoon too. They really didn't want anybody coming in here, but I'm sure it will be okay". My husband and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows. We felt extremely uncomfortable going in their room, because who knows what could be laying around. I almost objected, but after a quick peek, we left. About five minutes later, the innkeeper asked, "where's __ ?"(insert the poodle's name). She had locked him in the guest's suite! I almost wished she had left him in there so the guests would have found out. My husband and I immediately checked that one off the list. Any B&B that would let strangers into my room is not a place I would feel comfortable staying at!
UGH!
One time and one time only I let guests peek into an occupied room, they begged me to do it, for a whole house booking. They HAD to see all the rooms. So I allowed it, I opened the door and they marched right into it, then stood inside it talking about who would go in this room, and I was outside the door - get the hint people! I said, I need to lock this room now, and they stood there and continued to talk. I was ticked off!
Oh and for the rest of the story - the booking was booked, got smaller and smaller and smaller until it was one room the graduate and her mother on the weekend. This was this year, you may have heard me moan and groan about it and how I will not allow it ever again.

We have a unique place, we have two homes on three acres. We rent 5 rooms in the Guest House and one room in the Main House. We also rent the whole Guest House as well. We have Info Sheets in nice 8x10 frames of what the guests should be informed of. We do not offer daily maid service unless they ask for it. We always ask at breakfast if they slept well so that will be the "in" of having the beds made and fluffed or the room cleaned.
We have not had one single guest request that we make their beds or clean their rooms, and we have not done so. Now if there would be a rental of a room longer than a 3 day stay we will change the sheets. We've not had a bad experience with a guest other than last year when a young couple threw the comforter and blanket and towels on the floor. Maybe we are just fairly new and have not had the "upper crust" guests? Don't know, but even when we let all guests use the kitechen in the guest house as an amenity, no one has ever left the kitchen a mess. Most of our guests have been wonderful and most even make the bed before they leave.
I would most certaintly NOT GO INTO A ROOM if the guest speifically said not to go into them.

Back