guests that request NO service???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcharm

Reaction score
Guests asked... or told me... that they don't need service, that 'no one' (aka me) needs to go in their room. They said they've made their bed and don't need fresh towels. Do I go into their room and freshen up anyway? They are great people and I don't think they are 'hiding' anything. I don't want to go against thier wishes, but I feel like I'm not giving 'proper' service. Suggestions?

Let it go today... if they're staying a few more days tell them it's city/county law that you have to go in and check the smoke detectors, pipes, or whatever every other day.

If you're comfortable with their demeanor and aren't perceiving anything nefarious about their wishes, then I would respect their privacy and let it go.
Many folks and especially really "green" "tree hugger" (total compliment intended) are very light impact and are trying to save you some wasted effort.
That being siad though, if they are there for a few nights at least, I'd just kindly tell them after a night or two, that as part of your normal routine, you'd like to get in and at least empty their trash, recycle any bottles, cans, paper, etc... replace anything in need of replacing.
If you walk in and the sheets are trashed, melted candle wax is everywhere, evidence of smoking, excessive cologne use, or there are huge stains on anything, then their motives are pretty evident and you can deal with that as you normally would.

but I feel like I'm not giving 'proper' service. Suggestions?
To my mind, proper service is to follow their wishes as long as you don't feel you are putting your stuff at risk.
We have "no need to clean" door knob hangers and can even be seen to do a little jig if we score a trifecta of 3 "no need to cleans" in one day.
shades_smile.gif

I'm on the fence about this personally and have had problems in the past by not going into someone's room. We are a Victorian Inn and all our furnishings are good antiques. I have had ignorant people throw soaking wet towels on valuable pieces, I have had an overflowing toilet that no one bothered to mention because they thought they would get 'in trouble'. I had someone smuggle in a full size, live Christmas tree one year and put it up in their room complete with decorations and leave in front a burning fireplace.
So to answer your question, yes... I will check on a room. I have found this to be in the best interest for all involved.

I'm on the fence about this personally and have had problems in the past by not going into someone's room. We are a Victorian Inn and all our furnishings are good antiques. I have had ignorant people throw soaking wet towels on valuable pieces, I have had an overflowing toilet that no one bothered to mention because they thought they would get 'in trouble'. I had someone smuggle in a full size, live Christmas tree one year and put it up in their room complete with decorations and leave in front a burning fireplace.
So to answer your question, yes... I will check on a room. I have found this to be in the best interest for all involved..
Thanks everyone!!
More then helpful!
I've decided to peak in the room to make sure everything is 'okay.' But I won't bother anything in their space. Thanks!

'no one needs to go into (their) room' means they don't want you to bother making their bed or changing their towels. i would peek in just to make sure all is well and, even if untidy, i would not touch a thing.

I use to think 'good one less thing to do' when we had this told to us...Too many times there was a reason why - once a broken shelf, several times stains that needed to be addressed, towels or paper cups left on the furniture, etc..
So now, I do peek in the room to make sure all is well...then out I go. And then I have peace of mind.

I use to think 'good one less thing to do' when we had this told to us...Too many times there was a reason why - once a broken shelf, several times stains that needed to be addressed, towels or paper cups left on the furniture, etc..
So now, I do peek in the room to make sure all is well...then out I go. And then I have peace of mind..
Copperhead said:
So now, I do peek in the room to make sure all is well...then out I go. And then I have peace of mind.
I think you should do a full cavity search. They're probably hiding drugs!
smileystooges.gif

So now, I do peek in the room to make sure all is well...then out I go. And then I have peace of mind..
Copperhead said:
In our experience with broken stuff, the guest who doesn't want us to know about it, will usually not leave the room for what seems like an extreme length of time like they are waiting for us to leave the premises or something.
Its so rare that we just try our best not to think the worst of people until they give us cause to think the worst of them.
That brings up a question and phenonemon that occurs pretty regualrly with guests we have any issues with in general. When I walk into a room for the first fluff and see wet glasses, water bottles, open wine bottles, etc... right next to BUT not on any of the half dozen coasters provided, I just know that this guest thinks nothing of us or our place.
It just seems so wierd that somebody would actually make the effort to move a coaster out of the way to put a wet glass or such on a nice wood nightstand, etc.
In about 90% of the cases we end up with some other "consideration" issue with that type of person.
What about others? Do the "coaster ignorers" give you any other grief?

So to answer your question, yes... I will check on a room. I have found this to be in the best interest for all involved..
Thanks everyone!!
More then helpful!
I've decided to peak in the room to make sure everything is 'okay.' But I won't bother anything in their space. Thanks!
oldcharm said:
Thanks everyone!!
More then helpful!
Now, just for fun, let's assume you see something in the room that makes you gasp or blush or in some way makes you feel completely differently about these guests who asked you to not invade their space. How do you react to them next time you see them? This from the innkeeper who last summer was told in no uncertain terms and who was reminded with a huge note on the bed to 'not touch our bed!' It was ok to clean the room but do not touch the bed at all. (Totally wacko guests who wiped down every surface with wet tissues. Yup, wet tissues stuck to every hard surface in the bedroom and bathroom. Tissues laid out on every hard surface. What a disaster trying to clean up after them when they left.)

Copperhead said:
In our experience with broken stuff, the guest who doesn't want us to know about it, will usually not leave the room for what seems like an extreme length of time like they are waiting for us to leave the premises or something.
Its so rare that we just try our best not to think the worst of people until they give us cause to think the worst of them.
That brings up a question and phenonemon that occurs pretty regualrly with guests we have any issues with in general. When I walk into a room for the first fluff and see wet glasses, water bottles, open wine bottles, etc... right next to BUT not on any of the half dozen coasters provided, I just know that this guest thinks nothing of us or our place.
It just seems so wierd that somebody would actually make the effort to move a coaster out of the way to put a wet glass or such on a nice wood nightstand, etc.
In about 90% of the cases we end up with some other "consideration" issue with that type of person.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I have not noticed the coaster ignorers cause more grief than anyone else, but it still boggles the mind. Some guests go out of their way to not use the coasters prominently placed on the wood dressers and nightstands. They will take the notepads out of the desk drawer and put their soaking wet whatever on that effectively rendering that notepad useless in a guest room, oh goody, more for me. We had someone melt the cover on the guest room book with, I'm assuming a laptop left on over night under the bed covers. And the guest books where a guest can leave a comment are often used for coasters. Tissues are another one. Just what I want to clean off my nice antique dresser...little bits of tissue.
But, those are all instances of something thinking they are doing the right thing. Don't get me started on the ones who don't care in the least about the nice furnishings.
If I find a sweating bottle or glass that is in use, I will very carefully place it right on the coaster, where, of course, the guest thinks they left it all along. What I would like to do is put it on the cover of that lovely book they just bought. Or toss the soaking wet towels into their suitcases.
Soaking wet towels on the carpet or in the bed? Yup, I just BET that's where you put your towels at home. And that article encouraged Americans to pick up after themselves when overseas. Heck, tell the rest of the world to do the same!
Ah, but not this year. The stress level is lower. The desire to strangle people is missing. The urge to whack someone upside the head has diminished. This year I have a housekeeper. She takes care of all of that so I can enjoy the guests and not have my hair standing on end when I know what they're doing. So much easier. And she's naive. So she takes it all in stride. It's a job, it's not a personal affront to her. She likes working here. She gets all the leftover snacks and sometimes quiche or pancakes in the morning. I'll miss her when she goes back to school.

I have one couple who are regulars. They never want "service" and ask me for a sponge and a spray bottle of cleaner. That makes her happy. When they want a change in towels/sheets, they just ask me and they do the sheet change. I honor their wishes and it's never been been a problem - it's just the way they are. They leave the place clean as can be.
I had to go in their room one time to swap out a toilet hose on a pump while they were out. Their bed was made, everything neat and tidy, and clean. If only all of our guests could be like that! They are wonderful guests and I enjoy it when they come here.
And for breakfast...they just want cereal - that's their own choice. When others are here and I make a hot breakfast, they eat their cereal and fruit.

Thanks everyone!!
More then helpful!
oldcharm said:
Thanks everyone!!
More then helpful!
Now, just for fun, let's assume you see something in the room that makes you gasp or blush or in some way makes you feel completely differently about these guests who asked you to not invade their space. How do you react to them next time you see them? This from the innkeeper who last summer was told in no uncertain terms and who was reminded with a huge note on the bed to 'not touch our bed!' It was ok to clean the room but do not touch the bed at all. (Totally wacko guests who wiped down every surface with wet tissues. Yup, wet tissues stuck to every hard surface in the bedroom and bathroom. Tissues laid out on every hard surface. What a disaster trying to clean up after them when they left.)
[/quote]
Now, just for fun, let's assume you see something in the room that makes you gasp or blush or in some way makes you feel completely differently about these guests who asked you to not invade their space. How do you react to them next time you see them?
[/quote]
Doesn't bother me in the least. Wouldn't be the first time I've found a set of fuzzy handcuffs, riding crop or battery powered device. It just comes with the territory and is to be expected ( or at least accepted).

If you're comfortable with their demeanor and aren't perceiving anything nefarious about their wishes, then I would respect their privacy and let it go.
Many folks and especially really "green" "tree hugger" (total compliment intended) are very light impact and are trying to save you some wasted effort.
That being siad though, if they are there for a few nights at least, I'd just kindly tell them after a night or two, that as part of your normal routine, you'd like to get in and at least empty their trash, recycle any bottles, cans, paper, etc... replace anything in need of replacing.
If you walk in and the sheets are trashed, melted candle wax is everywhere, evidence of smoking, excessive cologne use, or there are huge stains on anything, then their motives are pretty evident and you can deal with that as you normally would..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
If you walk in and the sheets are trashed, melted candle wax is everywhere, evidence of smoking, excessive cologne use, or there are huge stains on anything, then their motives are pretty evident and you can deal with that as you normally would.
You get extra credit for using 'nefarious' in a sentance!
thumbs_up.gif

Absolutely Not! If they specifically asked you not to go in..then you MUST listen. They are paying guests. If they don't care to have fresh towels and whatever, then don't. If there is a problem with a pig stye when they leave..then you should bill for damages..but that doesn't sound like the case. They want to be left alone, so leave them alone.

Thanks everyone!!
More then helpful!
WRONG! so what if everything isn't ok????? WHAT WILL YOU DO??? THEN, they will know you were in their room. Sorry, I think you need to respect their wishes and deal with it!

Just had a lady & business associate leave yesterday after a 3 night stay - 2 rooms. Lady said no need to bother their rooms all was fine...I said OK if you're sure? Then she said will if you want but it is up to you.
So I went in to her room - bed linens had stains all over so stripped bed. The bath towels were in the sink along with the soaking wet wash clothes. So what was in her plans - ask me for fresh towels etc when she came back after a hard day? Oh and her Bus. Assoc. slept on top of the made bed under the quilt each night...DH said I should have provided a turndown for him as he obiously had never seen the real makings of a made bed before! (Well at least he felt the blanket and quilt were clean....a feeling never to be felt at a hotel!)

Back