Guests using multiple bathrooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are all humorous answers I have to say. We have DARK WALNUT CEILINGS upstairs!
I have finally convinced DH about keeping areas lit so noone breaks their neck. Some guests do turn off ALL the lights, and even double lock the front door. On ocassion I have confronted them as they LOCK out other guests and leave them in the dark. One thing about old houses - the light switches are NEVER where you think they should be.
The other guest room doors remain closed and locked. You do NOT KNOW what guests do in the other guest rooms or bathrooms. Well sometimes you do, we are aces at putting 2 and 2 together. I agree Bree, noone has to wait at home, so why wait in a lodging facility. I am the same, going somewhere with family in tow - I about go insane to use the bathroom when I need to..
The light switch in my hall is a double (top of staircase and at bottom) AND they are lighted switches. I still keep the lights on. I hate having all that mercury that is supposed to be so dangerous in my house but soon I will not even be able to BUY the incandescent light bulbs that have worked so well and so safely for all these years so I guess mercury reigns.

OH OH OH!
i forgot to tell all of you something that happened last october!!!
i had a half-body guy -- driving buddy thing -- it's a head, arms and upper torso mannequin .... you put it in the seat beside you wearing sunglasses and a hat and it looks like a person instead of you alone in the car. well, i wanted to loan it to a friend and he was looking dirty, so i put his sweatshirt in the wash and took my grubby looking driving buddy and set him on the toilet seat in an unoccupied bathroom to wash his face ... got interrupted and forgot about him. only three of eight rooms were occupied and that one needed shower repair. so it was okay to leave him there.
late afternoon, getting dark, i hear a SCREECH! and rush up stairs to meet a guest in the hallway ... asked what was wrong (i was thinking MOUSE) but no, she just ''startled herself, that's all,'' she said and scuttled into her own room and shut the door. i stood in the hall for a little while, relieved it wasn't a mouse problem and wondering how she 'startled herself' so bad she would scream ... and was just about to go back down the stairs when the lightbulb went off in my head ..... BUDDY! so i went down the hall to the unoccupied guest room ... door was wide open but i'm pretty sure i closed it ... and sure enough, there was Buddy sitting on the toilet and bathroom light was on. that guest must have gone into that bathroom, flipped on the light and SEEN A MAN sitting on the toilet!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif

OH OH OH!
i had a half-body guy -- driving buddy thing -- it's a head, arms and upper torso mannequin .... you put it in the seat beside you wearing sunglasses and a hat and it looks like a person instead of you alone in the car. well, i wanted to loan it to a friend and he was looking dirty, so i put his sweatshirt in the wash and took my grubby looking driving buddy and set him on the toilet seat in an unoccupied bathroom to wash his face ... got interrupted and forgot about him. only three of eight rooms were occupied and that one needed shower repair. so it was okay to leave him there.
late afternoon, getting dark, i hear a SCREECH! and rush up stairs to meet a guest in the hallway ... asked what was wrong (i was thinking MOUSE) but no, she just ''startled herself, that's all,'' she said and scuttled into her own room and shut the door. i stood in the hall for a little while, relieved it wasn't a mouse problem and wondering how she 'startled herself' so bad she would scream ... and was just about to go back down the stairs when the lightbulb went off in my head ..... BUDDY! so i went down the hall to the unoccupied guest room ... door was wide open but i'm pretty sure i closed it ... and sure enough, there was Buddy sitting on the toilet and bathroom light was on. that guest must have gone into that bathroom, flipped on the light and SEEN A MAN sitting on the toilet!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
THAT is beyoooooooootiful!!!!! Love it!!

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
SS, I LOVE YOU! What a great idea! I think I'm going to go buy one of those to have on hand for our plague hall bath!
Country Girl, we had this too. We too lock all the doors to rooms and hall baths when they are unoccupied. It was really bad last year so we decided to tell guests, yes we do, at check in, to please not "bathroom jump". Unbelieveable that you even have to tell people this.
Right now it is the paint the barn make-up removal all over my towels that is driving me nuts...HELLO, washcloths and make up remover wipes right there in front of your barn and yet you choose to do the refinishing all over the brand new white towels.
angry_smile.gif

Ahh, summer is just around the corner and with it will come the self tanners... I'm twitching already.

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
SS, I LOVE YOU! What a great idea! I think I'm going to go buy one of those to have on hand for our plague hall bath!
Country Girl, we had this too. We too lock all the doors to rooms and hall baths when they are unoccupied. It was really bad last year so we decided to tell guests, yes we do, at check in, to please not "bathroom jump". Unbelieveable that you even have to tell people this.
Right now it is the paint the barn make-up removal all over my towels that is driving me nuts...HELLO, washcloths and make up remover wipes right there in front of your barn and yet you choose to do the refinishing all over the brand new white towels.
angry_smile.gif

Ahh, summer is just around the corner and with it will come the self tanners... I'm twitching already.
Willowpondgj said:
angry_smile.gif

Summer? Spring weddings!!!

SS in Seattle if you are caught with one of those Buddies you will get a fine. People used them for the carpool lane all the time. Ahhhh traffic how I do not miss thee!!

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
Perfect! Completely hysterical story.

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif

I realize this won't help the ones who rub their faces in the towels, but we've gone to $.50 face cloths. No more white face cloths at $3/pop. These are all really pretty pastels that complement the bathroom colors. I'm waiting to see what happens.
I already know that the ProActiv stuff ruins these, but they're $.50 so I care less. I use them for cleaning the tables after breakfast.

I would close and lock the doors. Maybe make the bathroom and guest room doorknobs keyed the same if they aren't. I haven't had the problem happen often but I did have people going through the linen closet and supply cabinet in the hallway upstairs where I keep the soaps and shampoos. That bugged me so they all have locking doorknobs now.

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif

I realize this won't help the ones who rub their faces in the towels, but we've gone to $.50 face cloths. No more white face cloths at $3/pop. These are all really pretty pastels that complement the bathroom colors. I'm waiting to see what happens.
I already know that the ProActiv stuff ruins these, but they're $.50 so I care less. I use them for cleaning the tables after breakfast.
I'm not talking about the washcloths, those are colored, nice plush ones,.. I'm talking wiping the makeup ALL OVER the white hand towels and often all over the bath towels, mascara, foundation lipstick and all, and the washcloths go untouched--dry!

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
OH THAT IS WONDERFUL!!!! Another great story for an innkeeper book:)

welcome.gif
We have one detached but private hall bath in our main house. I lock the doors to the guest rooms and that bath. The guests in our 2 room suite that use that detached bath get another key for the bathroom that they can leave on the mantle or wherever (keyed the same as their room). I tell them to lock the door to prevent someone else from perhaps using it. Other guests haven't used their bath yet.
Yep...locks, then lights, and maybe a nice large mirror in your hallway to help with some light reflection. All that is a lot easier than cleaning all your bathrooms!

Rather than leaving hallway lights on all the time, why not have a motion detector light? It saves a lot on electricity.

Rather than leaving hallway lights on all the time, why not have a motion detector light? It saves a lot on electricity..
Markie said:
Rather than leaving hallway lights on all the time, why not have a motion detector light? It saves a lot on electricity.
Don't you think that is worst than having the lights on (for the other guests)? Lights going on and off all the time? Besides the enviro-lights can just flash on and off they have to warm up and warm down.

Keeping the light on in the hallway constantly seems like less work for you than cleaning all the bathrooms! You could use Flourescent bulbs to keep energy use down.
What part of the country are you in if you don't mind me asking??.
Hi Georgia Girl,
I am from the Northeast. BTW, I love your quote.

OH OH OH!
revenge was mine.
devil_smile.gif
Could have used Buddy last night. One couple traipsing around the house. They are repeats and were not a problem before so I didn't lock the doors. Used 2 bathrooms, at least, and wandered around in the other guest rooms, hopefully just looking, but I'll have to check that once they're gone. Doors locked now, but the other bathrooms have already had to be cleaned.

Back