Guests Who Can't or Won't Read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
TWICE today I've had cancellations from folks who can't or won't read. One lady thought she booked a place only 100 miles away instead of 125 miles away. A city with a similar name.
A litle bit ago, had an older gal ask about the antique shops around here. She's from a similarly sized metro area and doesn't like traffic. She asked about an opera house. I was puzzled and gave a couple of suggestions. When her daughter looked for a bnb, she looked for a certain city, 50 miles away, and our bnb popped up. We have in the subline what city we're in and how close we are to the local metro area. I even sent her a letter with map and directions a week ago. Today, realizing she booked the wrong location, she calls.
Both of these bookings were at least 5 days in advance and one gal cancelled within 10 minutes of my email response.
GRRR! Thanks for letting me vent!

There have been a couple times I have been thankful I "chatted" a bit withthe guest after taking the rez. One asked how far we were from the airport and I asked which one as PITT is 2 hours and the puddle-jumper is 11 miles. She was looking for the airport in our Capitol so I gave her the name of the B & B in that city. In Dec after booking a 3-night I was asked about the hospital - again which one? Turns out she picked up on me from the blog about the Veterans where I named the B & B in the city she wanted, but she glommed in on me. She was only about an hour too far north. I gave her the phone number of where she needed. That happens fairly often but at least I am keeping them in B & Bs.

Sorry innmate. There is an inn 2000 miles from here with the same name and I have had a couple calls for it, I have our state on the first line and top bottom and in between every place else. You're right, they don't read, and won't.
One time a guest went to a DIFF state same city name as ours and called at 9pm trying to find us. What did I do? Sent him a GC saying "Smithville TX is better than Smithville NV" in lieu of his cancellation, I knew he would never use it! (I hope his wife in the car all the way home was punishment enough!)

Sorry innmate. There is an inn 2000 miles from here with the same name and I have had a couple calls for it, I have our state on the first line and top bottom and in between every place else. You're right, they don't read, and won't.
One time a guest went to a DIFF state same city name as ours and called at 9pm trying to find us. What did I do? Sent him a GC saying "Smithville TX is better than Smithville NV" in lieu of his cancellation, I knew he would never use it! (I hope his wife in the car all the way home was punishment enough!).
Oh MAN!
Am considering a $25 nonrefundable cancelllation fee.
We had one rez, last minute, literally. Lived 20 minutes away. I told them I'd email the map and directions. They asked how far I was from a certain local landmark. I told him one mile. Over an hour later they called and asked where I was. (They overshot our town by TWENTY MILES!) They were expecting me to be along the highway and I'm not. They didn't even open their email that I'd sent them. GRR

ohmyohmy
there is a place that is the xyz inn and cottages. (same as my name but without the cottages) it looks like a RESORT! and just to complicate things, there is a little hotel across from my old place and a similar named place about 20 minutes from the xyz inn and cottages!
i had a few people book with me thinking they were going there ... and one secretary who made the reservations for his employer and wife ... they were stunned when they got to me. even more so when they discovered the only ferry they could take was with other people ( horrors!
omg_smile.gif
) and not a private yacht charter. amazingly they stayed the night. 'slumming it' with me.
regular_smile.gif

There is a lot of name confusion out there. I get calls for this posh place about 45 minutes away because our names are similar. Friends had guests call for directions, like Joey's, from another state because they never checked the state they booked in.
We had a similar situation last year. A guest called and booked 2 rooms and asked how close were we to where she had to go. It's about 45 minutes and that, to her, was a lifetime away. She wanted to cancel. I told her it was fine with me, but that she really should see if there was anything available where she wanted to be. We ended up being the closest place and she griped about that the whole weekend because she kept getting lost.
I had a guest tell me she was using her GPS to get here. I gave her directions. She said the GPS told her to go the same way I did, which was a relief to me. That doesn't always happen and that's a major source of grief for me...guests who just plug in the address and assume the GPS is correct.

One time a guest went to a DIFF state same city name as ours and called at 9pm trying to find us. What did I do? Sent him a GC saying "Smithville TX is better than Smithville NV" in lieu of his cancellation, I knew he would never use it! (I hope his wife in the car all the way home was punishment enough!).
Joey Bloggs said:
One time a guest went to a DIFF state same city name as ours and called at 9pm trying to find us. What did I do? Sent him a GC saying "Smithville TX is better than Smithville NV" in lieu of his cancellation, I knew he would never use it! (I hope his wife in the car all the way home was punishment enough!)
These are all great but JB - this is the best. That must have been a hell of a long drive!

We have written directions on our website on how to get from certain cities to our place. In our confirmation email I say :
" DIRECTIONS : BEWARE OF MAPQUEST, OTHER SIMILAR SERVICES & NAVIGATION SYSTEMS. THESE HAVE CAUSED SOME GUESTS TO GET TOTALLY LOST & FRUSTRATED ...trust our directions instead of others :).Tom-Toms seem to the worst of the bunch. Also, N36 13.722, W 081 47.921 may be helpful.
There are specific directions to the inn on our website.If you are coming from an area not addressed here then please advise us today so we can send specific directions to you. "
This has been a big help getting people to our place & preventing problems. Of course there are some men that rely on their GPS instead of my directions who call saying I'm not where his GPS says I should be so that's when I rub it in about not following my directions.

We have written directions on our website on how to get from certain cities to our place. In our confirmation email I say :
" DIRECTIONS : BEWARE OF MAPQUEST, OTHER SIMILAR SERVICES & NAVIGATION SYSTEMS. THESE HAVE CAUSED SOME GUESTS TO GET TOTALLY LOST & FRUSTRATED ...trust our directions instead of others :).Tom-Toms seem to the worst of the bunch. Also, N36 13.722, W 081 47.921 may be helpful.
There are specific directions to the inn on our website.If you are coming from an area not addressed here then please advise us today so we can send specific directions to you. "
This has been a big help getting people to our place & preventing problems. Of course there are some men that rely on their GPS instead of my directions who call saying I'm not where his GPS says I should be so that's when I rub it in about not following my directions..
Tomtrex said:
" DIRECTIONS : BEWARE OF MAPQUEST, OTHER SIMILAR SERVICES & NAVIGATION SYSTEMS. THESE HAVE CAUSED SOME GUESTS TO GET TOTALLY LOST & FRUSTRATED ...trust our directions instead of others
I tell people, "We know where we are, so please follow our directions. Google and their ilk haven't been around as long as we have.". It gets a laugh and my point across all at the same time.

This has been a big help getting people to our place & preventing problems. Of course there are some men that rely on their GPS instead of my directions who call saying I'm not where his GPS says I should be so that's when I rub it in about not following my directions..
Tomtrex said:
" DIRECTIONS : BEWARE OF MAPQUEST, OTHER SIMILAR SERVICES & NAVIGATION SYSTEMS. THESE HAVE CAUSED SOME GUESTS TO GET TOTALLY LOST & FRUSTRATED ...trust our directions instead of others
I tell people, "We know where we are, so please follow our directions. Google and their ilk haven't been around as long as we have.". It gets a laugh and my point across all at the same time.
That IS good, Penelope.

I have turn-by-turn routings for day trips to covered bridges, craft shops, and a winery before bringing them back to the B & B. I have had a couple of guests actually tell me, "we weren't sure this could possibly be the right directions to the winery but decided to go along with it." My actual response was, "Well I am glad you did." as I was mentally saying - "Right, dumbass, I am going to give you incorrect directions to something I have told you about! THAT will really get me points as an innkeeper."

I have turn-by-turn routings for day trips to covered bridges, craft shops, and a winery before bringing them back to the B & B. I have had a couple of guests actually tell me, "we weren't sure this could possibly be the right directions to the winery but decided to go along with it." My actual response was, "Well I am glad you did." as I was mentally saying - "Right, dumbass, I am going to give you incorrect directions to something I have told you about! THAT will really get me points as an innkeeper."
Over and over again I have heard the exact same thing from arriving guests...like I am going to provide WRONG directions to people who have/are going to pay me a lot of money? They must think I am crazier than they are :)

gillumhouse said:
My actual response was, "Well I am glad you did." as I was mentally saying - "Right, dumbass, I am going to give you incorrect directions to something I have told you about! THAT will really get me points as an innkeeper."
The number of times I've had guests ask "Are you sure?" or say things like "That just can't be right" is just mindboggling. Like they really think we don't know where we are or how to get there. Amazes me every time.

gillumhouse said:
My actual response was, "Well I am glad you did." as I was mentally saying - "Right, dumbass, I am going to give you incorrect directions to something I have told you about! THAT will really get me points as an innkeeper."
The number of times I've had guests ask "Are you sure?" or say things like "That just can't be right" is just mindboggling. Like they really think we don't know where we are or how to get there. Amazes me every time.
This is kind of funny for me as we don't have this ONE issue as we pick up & drop off all of our guests arriving to/from our island.

gillumhouse said:
This is kind of funny for me as we don't have this ONE issue as we pick up & drop off all of our guests arriving to/from our island.
Go ahead, rub it in.......
cheers.gif

Back