Guests who do not get it or think we are lax

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Got an email from a guest, since her bf is not coming with her this weekend for a family event, just move her into such n such room (which is $25 cheaper) for the two nights. $50 loss?
Well guess what, that room is booked. Guests think they can just move around and it is ok. It irks me. This happens when we are too nice and accomodating in the first place. I need to be tough on this one. There is something to being a crotchety innkeeper when guests try to take advantage. She checks in tomorrow night. It is a done deal.

We've had that, too...3 women book the largest room and then one cancels and they want the cheapest room. 'Well, it's open, why can't we have it?' They they are snarly and unhappy because they have to pay $100 more than they want to. And now it's split between 2 instead of among 3. It definitely happens more than I am happy about. I suppose I could say they are inside the cancel period and therefore they need to pay for the room they booked as they are cancelling it.

From the beginning, I made my policy to be that the master stateroom ($160) must be booked first in order for the next smaller room to be available ($130), and both of those must be booked in order to make the smallest/cheapest room ($90) available. If someone books the master while really wanting a smaller room, and if I can sell the master for the same dates of their stay, I will do the swap for them, working my way down the line, but there is no way I'm doing B&B for $90/night, total. That room gets booked only for a totally full house!

From the beginning, I made my policy to be that the master stateroom ($160) must be booked first in order for the next smaller room to be available ($130), and both of those must be booked in order to make the smallest/cheapest room ($90) available. If someone books the master while really wanting a smaller room, and if I can sell the master for the same dates of their stay, I will do the swap for them, working my way down the line, but there is no way I'm doing B&B for $90/night, total. That room gets booked only for a totally full house!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
From the beginning, I made my policy to be that the master stateroom ($160) must be booked first in order for the next smaller room to be available ($130), and both of those must be booked in order to make the smallest/cheapest room ($90) available. If someone books the master while really wanting a smaller room, and if I can sell the master for the same dates of their stay, I will do the swap for them, working my way down the line, but there is no way I'm doing B&B for $90/night, total. That room gets booked only for a totally full house!
Very interesting marketing plan! So, essentially, I could pull my cheapest room offline until the other rooms are booked. You just may be a marketing genius!

From the beginning, I made my policy to be that the master stateroom ($160) must be booked first in order for the next smaller room to be available ($130), and both of those must be booked in order to make the smallest/cheapest room ($90) available. If someone books the master while really wanting a smaller room, and if I can sell the master for the same dates of their stay, I will do the swap for them, working my way down the line, but there is no way I'm doing B&B for $90/night, total. That room gets booked only for a totally full house!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
You kinda described my BOGO mentality as well. I did have only the least booked room in the pgrm initially, which happens to be the cheapest. I guess I figured #1) I didn't want to lose two nights in a higher priced rooms for BOGO vs this room.
But then I thought - wait a minute, since I have stipulations such as midweek and not peak season, I am shooting myself in the foot! Example this weekend I have a higher priced room booked for the BOGO so instead of making $110 I am making $130. Not the highest priced room, but $130 beats $110. And if they choose to book three nights, then the loss would be even greater for the least priced room. (Hope that makes sense).
So of course there is an event this weekend after I allowed the BOGO which is only midweek and I could have booked that room anyway! Live and learn. This guest is referred from another who stayed here so I wanted to give her what she wanted and hope word of mouth will continue on...

Totally out of the context of what you mentioned here, but she may just be concerned to be alone in a strange place and that's why she wants to move to a different room she may feel is more 'safe'. Which in some places could be a room without an outside entry, one on the second floor vs first floor, etc. I always ask for second floor rooms when I'm by myself. Unless she lives in town, she doesn't know how safe it is/isn't. I think your (email) suggestion about what she do is the best option for her.

Yes that is it Bree. But she had the pick of all rooms when she booked, but now that BF can't make it she wants to move inside, too late, rooms are all booked.

Back