Guests who leave their door open

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I have no idea why it bothers me, it is like a dresser drawer sticking partially open or a kitchen cupboard, CLOSE IT. I find it so odd when there are other guests here too that guests would do this?
I freshened their room yesterday and closed the door. Maybe this is their "come on in and freshen the room" invite? But they do have it open when they are in there coming and going as well. Strange. I have only had this really when there are a couple of rooms here together.
We have a new room checking in later, they will walk up the stairs and see this room door open. I don't like it. It's like a pciture hanging scewiff on the wall! ha ha
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I would think it means they are totally comfortable being there
regular_smile.gif
, take it as a compliment! Although I understand you not wanting new guests to see the door open if the room is messy.

regular_smile.gif
, take it as a compliment! Although I understand you not wanting new guests to see the door open if the room is messy..
They also create a liability issue for us if anything should turn up "missing" from their room. The MAIN reason they should be keeping the door closed.

I freshened their room and shut the door. I won't lock it, maybe they don't even have their key with them. First door you see at check in, mind you the bed is made and all that, it is just not the best impression.

I've had guests go to bed and leave the door to their room open! I was walking thru the house one night, turning off lights and noticed the door was open and the guest was in bed. She sat up and said, 'Who are YOU???' I told her I was the innkeeper and asked if she wanted me to close the door for her? No, she liked to sleep with the door open. I explained there were other guests who would be walking by her door at night and that I thought it might be better if no one wandered into her room while she was sleeping.
She was pretty upset that I wanted the door closed!
Other open door guests have been teens with their parents. All of their electronic gear on the beds, off they go.

I always lock the door after I freshen a room. Liability!! I have closed doors when guests have been in their rooms when I'm showing new guests in. I just tell them that I am closing their door because I'm showing guests around and then just close it.

We have guests that leave their door open all the time too, even at night! It is always so shocking to me, especially in the morning when I get up and walk into the hallway to hear them snoring away with their door wide open. They must feel very "at home" here which is nice. Many times I will close the door after guests leave for the day, especially if we have other guests checking in. One time we did have a guest accidentally open our bedroom door. She looked as surprised as we did
wow.gif
! Luckily I was just folding laundry!

We have guests prop their doors open when they have 2 rooms so they can run to and fro but never leave them open when they have left or at night
omg_smile.gif
- I would be shocked for sure at night. You are right, they most likely do feel very at ease and should feel it is a complement. I do have those that leave the door unlocked all day. I do lock it - even if I know they do not have a key. Then I watch for their arrival and hand them the key. I have regulars (2-3 times a year) that do this each and every time, you would think it would sink in, it hasn't.

regular_smile.gif
, take it as a compliment! Although I understand you not wanting new guests to see the door open if the room is messy..
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
, take it as a compliment! Although I understand you not wanting new guests to see the door open if the room is messy.
I had a few guest like that too....A Mooseberry Inn B&B, where we make our home your home....that's just what they did....

We have guests that leave their door open all the time too, even at night! It is always so shocking to me, especially in the morning when I get up and walk into the hallway to hear them snoring away with their door wide open. They must feel very "at home" here which is nice. Many times I will close the door after guests leave for the day, especially if we have other guests checking in. One time we did have a guest accidentally open our bedroom door. She looked as surprised as we did
wow.gif
! Luckily I was just folding laundry!.
OMG ! Mine at least close the doors at night...haha

We have guests prop their doors open when they have 2 rooms so they can run to and fro but never leave them open when they have left or at night
omg_smile.gif
- I would be shocked for sure at night. You are right, they most likely do feel very at ease and should feel it is a complement. I do have those that leave the door unlocked all day. I do lock it - even if I know they do not have a key. Then I watch for their arrival and hand them the key. I have regulars (2-3 times a year) that do this each and every time, you would think it would sink in, it hasn't..
We had one guest who never took his key. I have no idea how he was getting back into the house. He loved it when we went to keypads for entry. But he always left his room door unlocked.

i had guests last year who went to bed and left their door open. i went up, noticed the door open, lights out and them in bed. i closed their door.
went up to the next floor and did some things, came down a while later and their door was open again. i closed it again.
and i wrote a little note that due to fire regulations the occupied guest rooms must have doors closed at night and taped it to their door. new addition in guest info book. in the morning i explained about why i closed the door and i believe that is better for safety's sake (not just fire safety). in any case, i really wanted that door closed.
i found that behavior very odd. to go to sleep in a b&b, leaving your door open, with other guests roaming around the place.

i had guests last year who went to bed and left their door open. i went up, noticed the door open, lights out and them in bed. i closed their door.
went up to the next floor and did some things, came down a while later and their door was open again. i closed it again.
and i wrote a little note that due to fire regulations the occupied guest rooms must have doors closed at night and taped it to their door. new addition in guest info book. in the morning i explained about why i closed the door and i believe that is better for safety's sake (not just fire safety). in any case, i really wanted that door closed.
i found that behavior very odd. to go to sleep in a b&b, leaving your door open, with other guests roaming around the place..
That was a good idea.
I don't see why anyone would leave their door open... very strange! I know I wouldn't want anyone to even look at me while sleeping in bed, no matter being able to waltz right in to my room!

i found that behavior very odd. to go to sleep in a b&b, leaving your door open, with other guests roaming around the place..
That was a good idea.
I don't see why anyone would leave their door open... very strange! I know I wouldn't want anyone to even look at me while sleeping in bed, no matter being able to waltz right in to my room!
yes. well. i wondered if their room was too warm or something. so i asked them in the morning. they said they were just used to sleeping with the door open. we meet all kinds of folks.

That was a good idea.
Mr.Design said:
That was a good idea.
Hear hear!
Yonks ago I was working in San Diego on a fishing charter. We left at midnight so everyone went to sleep except a couple people (Capt).
I was awakened in my bunk by a deck hand shaking my shoulder at 3am "We're here! Wake up" I will never forget opening my eyes and realizing my mouth was ajar with a slight drool coming out. I never thought I drooled? Not me? I was so embarrassed.
Nope, nobody needs to see me sleeping!! <<insert drooling smiley here
tounge_smile.gif
>>

That was a good idea.
Mr.Design said:
That was a good idea.
Hear hear!
Yonks ago I was working in San Diego on a fishing charter. We left at midnight so everyone went to sleep except a couple people (Capt).
I was awakened in my bunk by a deck hand shaking my shoulder at 3am "We're here! Wake up" I will never forget opening my eyes and realizing my mouth was ajar with a slight drool coming out. I never thought I drooled? Not me? I was so embarrassed.
Nope, nobody needs to see me sleeping!! <<insert drooling smiley here
tounge_smile.gif
>>
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I never thought I drooled? Not me? I was so embarrassed.
EVERYbody drools. No exceptions.

I found this thread pretty interesting. I wonder if the people who do this are people who cannot stay in a hotel because there's no way they could sleep with the door open, so they're almost travel restricted. The B&B option allows them to be in a situation where it may not be customary, but they are in a home environment where they just might be able to get by overnight with the door open.

The only folks here that leave their doors open or unlocked are when they have the whole upstairs of the Main House. I tell them to be sure to lock their doors when they leave because both houses have the same code to enter and other guests from next door could walk right into their rooms. Most of the time, they heed my advice. When they don't, I lock their door when I freshen the room. Then, I guess they have to find me if they don't have their room key with them.
I do think it's odd that people would sleep with their doors open at a B&B and after answering some of the questions about sexual harassment and other stuff for new B&B insurance, I'm even more surprised.

The only folks here that leave their doors open or unlocked are when they have the whole upstairs of the Main House. I tell them to be sure to lock their doors when they leave because both houses have the same code to enter and other guests from next door could walk right into their rooms. Most of the time, they heed my advice. When they don't, I lock their door when I freshen the room. Then, I guess they have to find me if they don't have their room key with them.
I do think it's odd that people would sleep with their doors open at a B&B and after answering some of the questions about sexual harassment and other stuff for new B&B insurance, I'm even more surprised..
Samster said:
I do think it's odd that people would sleep with their doors open at a B&B and after answering some of the questions about sexual harassment and other stuff for new B&B insurance, I'm even more surprised.
After the sleep walker/eater roaming around here I would lock my doors no matter where I WAS!!!

Back