Guests who leave their door open

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only folks here that leave their doors open or unlocked are when they have the whole upstairs of the Main House. I tell them to be sure to lock their doors when they leave because both houses have the same code to enter and other guests from next door could walk right into their rooms. Most of the time, they heed my advice. When they don't, I lock their door when I freshen the room. Then, I guess they have to find me if they don't have their room key with them.
I do think it's odd that people would sleep with their doors open at a B&B and after answering some of the questions about sexual harassment and other stuff for new B&B insurance, I'm even more surprised..
What kind of questions did you get for your insurance?

i had guests last year who went to bed and left their door open. i went up, noticed the door open, lights out and them in bed. i closed their door.
went up to the next floor and did some things, came down a while later and their door was open again. i closed it again.
and i wrote a little note that due to fire regulations the occupied guest rooms must have doors closed at night and taped it to their door. new addition in guest info book. in the morning i explained about why i closed the door and i believe that is better for safety's sake (not just fire safety). in any case, i really wanted that door closed.
i found that behavior very odd. to go to sleep in a b&b, leaving your door open, with other guests roaming around the place..
That was a good idea.
I don't see why anyone would leave their door open... very strange! I know I wouldn't want anyone to even look at me while sleeping in bed, no matter being able to waltz right in to my room!
Mr.Design said:
That was a good idea.
I don't see why anyone would leave their door open... very strange! I know I wouldn't want anyone to even look at me while sleeping in bed, no matter being able to waltz right in to my room!
Hear hear!
Yonks ago I was working in San Diego on a fishing charter. We left at midnight so everyone went to sleep except a couple people (Capt).
I was awakened in my bunk by a deck hand shaking my shoulder at 3am "We're here! Wake up" I will never forget opening my eyes and realizing my mouth was ajar with a slight drool coming out. I never thought I drooled? Not me? I was so embarrassed.
Nope, nobody needs to see me sleeping!! <<insert drooling smiley here
tounge_smile.gif
>>
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I never thought I drooled? Not me? I was so embarrassed.
EVERYbody drools. No exceptions.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I don't drool... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! LOL!
wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

i had guests last year who went to bed and left their door open. i went up, noticed the door open, lights out and them in bed. i closed their door.
went up to the next floor and did some things, came down a while later and their door was open again. i closed it again.
and i wrote a little note that due to fire regulations the occupied guest rooms must have doors closed at night and taped it to their door. new addition in guest info book. in the morning i explained about why i closed the door and i believe that is better for safety's sake (not just fire safety). in any case, i really wanted that door closed.
i found that behavior very odd. to go to sleep in a b&b, leaving your door open, with other guests roaming around the place..
That was a good idea.
Mr.Design said:
That was a good idea.
Hear hear!
Yonks ago I was working in San Diego on a fishing charter. We left at midnight so everyone went to sleep except a couple people (Capt).
I was awakened in my bunk by a deck hand shaking my shoulder at 3am "We're here! Wake up" I will never forget opening my eyes and realizing my mouth was ajar with a slight drool coming out. I never thought I drooled? Not me? I was so embarrassed.
tounge_smile.gif
>>
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I drooled Friday night! LOL I woke up, realized I drooled and thought about here! LOL I do have a cold LOL

That was a good idea.
Mr.Design said:
That was a good idea.
Hear hear!
tounge_smile.gif
>>
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I drooled Friday night! LOL I woke up, realized I drooled and thought about here! LOL I do have a cold LOL
MTLLodge said:
It is like walking out of a restroom with tissue stuck to the bottom of your shoe! Unnerving.

That was a good idea.
Mr.Design said:
That was a good idea.
Hear hear!
tounge_smile.gif
>>
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

MTLLodge said:
It is like walking out of a restroom with tissue stuck to the bottom of your shoe! Unnerving.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
MTLLodge said:
How about having the paper getting stuck, god knows how, under the back of your coat and you trail half a roll in the restaurant???
embaressed_smile.gif

20 years ago......

I had my first "open door guest" last night....I would have never known it if I wouldn't had a last minute reservation and had to go double check their room.....She was a very nice lady and had no problem me shutting her door since others are coming :)

I've had guests go to bed and leave the door to their room open! I was walking thru the house one night, turning off lights and noticed the door was open and the guest was in bed. She sat up and said, 'Who are YOU???' I told her I was the innkeeper and asked if she wanted me to close the door for her? No, she liked to sleep with the door open. I explained there were other guests who would be walking by her door at night and that I thought it might be better if no one wandered into her room while she was sleeping.
She was pretty upset that I wanted the door closed!
Other open door guests have been teens with their parents. All of their electronic gear on the beds, off they go..
We had one guest in the other bnb who left their bedroom door open. There were either 1 or 2 rooms at the time. If we did have 2 rooms, they were the only guests. We were wondering WHY they left their room open?

We have guests that leave their door open all the time too, even at night! It is always so shocking to me, especially in the morning when I get up and walk into the hallway to hear them snoring away with their door wide open. They must feel very "at home" here which is nice. Many times I will close the door after guests leave for the day, especially if we have other guests checking in. One time we did have a guest accidentally open our bedroom door. She looked as surprised as we did
wow.gif
! Luckily I was just folding laundry!.
So did WE! We go to bed early and gave arriving guests the combination to the front door. They accidentally came into OUR room! Our dachshunds gave us plenty of warning as they turned the doorknob. At that point I got up and gave them a tour. Might as well! I was awake THEN!

The only folks here that leave their doors open or unlocked are when they have the whole upstairs of the Main House. I tell them to be sure to lock their doors when they leave because both houses have the same code to enter and other guests from next door could walk right into their rooms. Most of the time, they heed my advice. When they don't, I lock their door when I freshen the room. Then, I guess they have to find me if they don't have their room key with them.
I do think it's odd that people would sleep with their doors open at a B&B and after answering some of the questions about sexual harassment and other stuff for new B&B insurance, I'm even more surprised..
What kind of questions did you get for your insurance?
They were not on the written property questionnaire, but some additional questions on the phone interview. Not exact, but something like: Have you or your spouse ever been convicted of a sexual offense? Are you or your spouse registered sex offenders? Also, of course have you ever been convicted of a crime? I was shocked when he asked the sex offense/offender question but then it did make sense to me when I thought about itwith everything that is happening nowadays . He did not ask me about employees because I had already said that we don't have any.

Back