Guests who require "noise" to sleep

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Harpie

Reaction score
Last week we had a young couple stay with us for 2 nights. We have a beautiful ceiling fan in each room, however, she asked for a table model, as she needed the sound of the whirring fan to help her sleep. We thought, hmmm that's a first. Lo and behold another couple asked for the same thing this week. Anyone else had this request?
Cheers Harry

yes, i also bring one along with me for 'white noise' just in case where i'm staying doesn't have a fan ... and sometimes, it makes the room cold even if not blowing on me so i wonder about getting myself a white noise machine. just the loud whoooshing sound, not water falling or effects like that or i lie awake listening ... recently, i forgot my fan when travelling but had my laptop and there is a website where you can login and have white noise play ...
i thought i was odd growing up, but have encountered lots of people like myself. none of my brothers or sisters are this way.

I myself need a fan to sleep, so i totally understand that request. We keep 3 small box fans in the "amenity nook" for just such occasions.

Our clock radios have four different types of white noise available on them, including wind, which is like a fan. I prefer sleeping with a fan myself and have my own white noise machine if I need it in addition for sleeping.

I have had some guests leave the bathroom fans on because the sounds helps them sleep but sometimes they don't understand that this can bother other people in the house. This actually caused a problem with another room who's bed was above that bathroom fan. They left their fan on all night light and it vibrated the other guest rooms bed all night long. This happened twice with separate guests in each room so I finally just opened up the fan and disconnected it no it no longer works so that problem was solved.

i am a fan sleeper as well. if io stay somewhere and don't have my "noise" it takes me forever to doze off.

Yep. Have a table fan the closet in every room. They get used!

ABSOLUTELY! We have fans in every guest room. "Sleep Noise" or as one woman told me..."to drown out her husband's snoring!"

Some bring their own, could be night sweats or could be white noise. We work so hard to make it quiet and relaxing and some people can't handle it! ha ha
I slept with DH snoring in my direction all night long, I am a wreck today...I can see the point of having it!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!

Some bring their own, could be night sweats or could be white noise. We work so hard to make it quiet and relaxing and some people can't handle it! ha ha
I slept with DH snoring in my direction all night long, I am a wreck today...I can see the point of having it!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!.
Guests tell me all the time "it's so quiet here". I personally use mine to drown out any other sounds, since we sleep amidst guest rooms. I don't want to here anything...

I travel with my own small fan for noise and also for some air circulation depending on where I'm at. We always have a fan running in our bedroom at home for white noise. I like to feel the air circulating. In the winter when it's cold I turn the fan away from the bed and towards the wall.

I only developed this habit in the past couple of years, but now I need to have a fan on, for the noise and also to move the air. DH can't understand why the ceiling fan doesn't serve the purpose. Well, for air movement it does, but the noise factor is missing.

I was just at Lowe's and thought of this thread when I saw this GIGANTIC INDUSTRIAL sized fan on clearance for only $200. I would laugh if someone said "Do you have a box fan to move the air or for white noise" and you pulled that thing out of the closet!

I only developed this habit in the past couple of years, but now I need to have a fan on, for the noise and also to move the air. DH can't understand why the ceiling fan doesn't serve the purpose. Well, for air movement it does, but the noise factor is missing..
SecondAct said:
I only developed this habit in the past couple of years, but now I need to have a fan on, for the noise and also to move the air. DH can't understand why the ceiling fan doesn't serve the purpose. Well, for air movement it does, but the noise factor is missing.
Interesting that DH was on this thing last weekend when he went into a guest room and the normally quiet ceiling fan now makes noise and he was ready to take it down right then and there and replace it. He would never believe this thread. He, the chainsawing logs while he sleeps and nothing wakes him or keeps him awake...UGH

My husband's family are all like this. I've learned to deal with it! His sister travels with a fan.
RIki

We have a small table fan in each room and they get used frequently. White noise, plus just "fresh" air because it's circulating. Also, it's an old house and some of the rooms are close together so it drowns out other people's noises. That was the first change we made when we took ownership, found all 10 fans on Amazon for $10 each 3 years ago and they are still going strong.

Back