Guests who smoke

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Well just as I suspected, one guest was a smoker, I just found a pile of cig butts out in the garden near the pond. He was only here briefly and went up and down the stairs like a water buffalo and out the front door. I was not sure as I never smelled smoke on him and THANKFULLY the room did not reek.
So at least he was here a short time and didn't annoy everyone too much with his running in and out to smoke!
So contrary to my other thread - see someone DID use the gardens this past Saturday night. Many times the guest will go out to their vehicle to smoke and come back in, so I thought perhaps that was what he was doing. We have another guest who does that and rarely even smells of smoke.
I always offer him one of the two rooms that he can step outside and smoke, and he declines to do that, he will just go out there and smoke.
confused_smile.gif

Our wine spillers were smokers. In and out about 10 times in the course of 3 hours. They asked for an ashtray the morning they left. No idea where the butts are from the day before. No smoking in the room, tho, and nothing smelled. Of course I had to wash most of it because of the wine spill.

i don't know what the answer is to guests who are smokers but who honor their agreement and do not smoke in the building or on the porches ... if they smoke in the street, they smell of smoke but i accept that as part of doing business. 'leftover smoke' smell on their person is different from them actually smoking in the rooms.
i have one sister in law who smokes and quits smokes and quits ... she always thinks i don't know when she's started smoking again.

i don't know what the answer is to guests who are smokers but who honor their agreement and do not smoke in the building or on the porches ... if they smoke in the street, they smell of smoke but i accept that as part of doing business. 'leftover smoke' smell on their person is different from them actually smoking in the rooms.
i have one sister in law who smokes and quits smokes and quits ... she always thinks i don't know when she's started smoking again..
Love the picture!!!
I've gotta get onto my other computer and get one on, too.
=) Kk.

i have one sister in law who smokes and quits smokes and quits ... she always thinks i don't know when she's started smoking again..
Last weekend in May, I had a smoker that smoked on the porch. I usually don't want people to smoke on the porch, but they stay in a bnb because there is no place for him to go in a hotel or motel. (She told me this) He was very good to make sure his stubs were out and collected them.
This has had me thinking and last night I got a metal flower pot I had and filled it with sand. I am going to put it in an out of the way place on the porch so it is available in case I have a smoker and they can sit on the porch to smoke.
I don't want cig butts in my flowers as I have to pay the grandkids to pick up and clean and it is so disgusting. Will see if this works.

Last weekend in May, I had a smoker that smoked on the porch. I usually don't want people to smoke on the porch, but they stay in a bnb because there is no place for him to go in a hotel or motel. (She told me this) He was very good to make sure his stubs were out and collected them.
This has had me thinking and last night I got a metal flower pot I had and filled it with sand. I am going to put it in an out of the way place on the porch so it is available in case I have a smoker and they can sit on the porch to smoke.
I don't want cig butts in my flowers as I have to pay the grandkids to pick up and clean and it is so disgusting. Will see if this works.
We have an ashtray (swiped from a hotel in Marrakech, if the logo can be believed). We keep it in the house and hand it to guests who ask. i'd rather keep it outside but if I forget it, yuck, the whole porch will smell when it rains.

My bil (a smoker) insists that if you don't provide an ashtray then smokers will flick. Sometimes they do anyway... sounds like that was a very considerate guest, if he was collecting the butts.
=) Kk.

Yep, they'll flick their butts all over the place unless you provide something. And, even if you say no smoking on the porch, there will be a few who will do it anyway. I was told my the guy that does our pest control that if he is paying to stay someplace, he'd better be able to smoke inside. The establishment had better provide a smoking room. I told him that in this respect a B&B is different and the cost to clean a room of all the smoke smell can be more than what he paid to stay there. Also, that it was too risky in these old houses to allow smoking. He conceded to the last point, but not the part about not allowing smoking because of the cost of cleaning. I guess I needed a board to smack him upside the head....

Yep, they'll flick their butts all over the place unless you provide something. And, even if you say no smoking on the porch, there will be a few who will do it anyway. I was told my the guy that does our pest control that if he is paying to stay someplace, he'd better be able to smoke inside. The establishment had better provide a smoking room. I told him that in this respect a B&B is different and the cost to clean a room of all the smoke smell can be more than what he paid to stay there. Also, that it was too risky in these old houses to allow smoking. He conceded to the last point, but not the part about not allowing smoking because of the cost of cleaning. I guess I needed a board to smack him upside the head....
Just because they pay doesn't mean they get to smoke!!! It is your home and your property and you call the shots! If they don't like it, let them find a room some place else!

He must have stayed in the non-smoking room I had at the hotel last week...
tounge_smile.gif

We built a new house in 1988 and when I went over there before we moved in or had flooring in, some of the tradesmen had been smoking in it and just ground out the cigs on the floor. I was fuming.

Just because they pay doesn't mean they get to smoke!!! It is your home and your property and you call the shots! If they don't like it, let them find a room some place else!
Absolutely! Which is why they didn't stay here. But remember I live where tobacco is still King. It amazes me how many smokers there are here with all the info about how bad it is for you. Non-smokers are probably the minority here. Big change from where our last spot where everyone was very health conscious ;-)

I have a business guest "Goldilocks" (from the other forum) who goes off to the side of the house to smoke. That's fine with me. I guess he's probably stayed about 20 days in total.
Then last week one of my cousins stopped by for a visit and told me that she thought I had a gas leak. She said she had smelled gas on and off for months when she'd come to visit, but had never been sure enough to mention it to me. She coated the pipe that lead from the gas meter to the house with dishwashing liquid, and sure enough, there was a little tiny leak that produced a froth of bubbles. The pipe was original to the house, so the weld was deteriorating slowly, I guess. The gas company came right out and fixed it, but it turns out that the leaky pipe is almost exactly where ole Goldilocks stands to smoke. It's a good thing that our guardian angels were looking out for both of us
angel_smile.gif

I have a business guest "Goldilocks" (from the other forum) who goes off to the side of the house to smoke. That's fine with me. I guess he's probably stayed about 20 days in total.
Then last week one of my cousins stopped by for a visit and told me that she thought I had a gas leak. She said she had smelled gas on and off for months when she'd come to visit, but had never been sure enough to mention it to me. She coated the pipe that lead from the gas meter to the house with dishwashing liquid, and sure enough, there was a little tiny leak that produced a froth of bubbles. The pipe was original to the house, so the weld was deteriorating slowly, I guess. The gas company came right out and fixed it, but it turns out that the leaky pipe is almost exactly where ole Goldilocks stands to smoke. It's a good thing that our guardian angels were looking out for both of us
angel_smile.gif
LOL. That might have cured her of her addiction.
tounge_smile.gif

Back