Guests who steal towels!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morticia ... those mugs! How many times did I go rushing outside with to go cups and take my mugs out of hands or off car hoods and pour the contents into a to go cup saying 'Whoops, these are breakable!' or 'Oops, I'm sure you didn't mean to carry this out with you.' haha. Yes, they did.
devil_smile.gif
But I didn't lose any!
Those coasters of yours were STOLEN. Plain and simple. :(.
My mugs go out in the suitcase.
Morticia said:
My mugs go out in the suitcase.
Hmm. X-ray machine by the door?
wink_smile.gif
I just saw a box in the kitchen from the mug company so I think our SR inn got more mugs.

You bet ya. A review is just that! also management response counts also . Let face it stealing is just that.
STEALING taking some thing that doesnot belong to you.!!! Peroid!
We also had a list of cost of towels bedding blankets and said very close to your wording. We had a few take our sheets and pillow cases towels ,sweater, house coats. Clear the basket out LOL Oh yes a few decorations also.Moved our prices up and that change the type of people a bit too.
But people from every walk of life will steal, if they really think they can get away with it.

I give them mugs.
I have traditional coffee mugs with our logo that I buy at $.65 each. It's my parting gift to each guest (along with their bill, a pen and a little chocolate candy).
The mug goes home with them, stays in their cabinet or on their desk at work, gets drunk from every day, and reminds them they need to schedule a return visit to get away from their oppressive workaday world.
Marketing that costs less than a single Google pay-per-click.

I give them mugs.
I have traditional coffee mugs with our logo that I buy at $.65 each. It's my parting gift to each guest (along with their bill, a pen and a little chocolate candy).
The mug goes home with them, stays in their cabinet or on their desk at work, gets drunk from every day, and reminds them they need to schedule a return visit to get away from their oppressive workaday world.
Marketing that costs less than a single Google pay-per-click..
Who's making your mugs at 65c a piece. That's a steal!

Coffee mugs. That's all anyone takes here. Towels are pretty bulky to fit in an overseas bag with all the new weight limits. You have to wonder what they're thinking..
Morticia said:
Coffee mugs. That's all anyone takes here. You have to wonder what they're thinking.
My guess is, they're convincing themselves that since it has your logo on it, it must be free, like the logo pens and scratch pads. They know better, but that's their story and they're sticking to it!
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Coffee mugs. That's all anyone takes here. You have to wonder what they're thinking.
My guess is, they're convincing themselves that since it has your logo on it, it must be free, like the logo pens and scratch pads. They know better, but that's their story and they're sticking to it!
Yeah. After they ask how much they cost. ;-)
But, I meant the towels. Who tries to stuff a set of puffy, fluffy B&B towels into overseas luggage?
they won't be taking them home - they will take them to the next stop over in case they don't provide them - they will never leave the country
also as a side bar we have lost more hairdryers than ever before - what;s that all about?
Jcam said:
they won't be taking them home - they will take them to the next stop over in case they don't provide them - they will never leave the country
also as a side bar we have lost more hairdryers than ever before - what;s that all about?
Hadn't thought about the next stop. So, someone will get a set of towels they weren't expecting.
We had an entire set of coasters disappear last week.
We had this with a neighbour theving gits - admired her place mats set of 6 wanted to know where from so could purchase a set - carol said sorry they don't make them any more - 4 were missing next day taken out of their breakfast room.

I give them mugs.
DiscountMugs.com

I give them mugs.
DiscountMugs.com
That's where I get mine from also. You must buy a very large quantity for $.65! Like you, I give a lot of them away. Good will and good marketing

I give them mugs.
We give them away, too. But they're more like $3/each with shipping. Thanks for the info on discount mug!

I give them mugs.
DiscountMugs.com
They want like double that just to ship them to me.

I give them mugs.
DiscountMugs.com
Ship them to Phin and pick them up. Or, ship them to me, but that's a bit of a trek.

I give them mugs.
DiscountMugs.com
Ship them to Phin and pick them up. Or, ship them to me, but that's a bit of a trek.
I can't get out of the house until November. I'll think about it :)

My mugs were $8 to $12+ each, pottery, and were not logo mugs or give aways. They were made by a potter in Maine with blueberries on them and it was obvious they were not mass produced. I had bought some much less expensive as part of a dinner set and went in search of similar, fell in love with the hand made version. Expensive to me to keep two dozen on hand ... But I loved them and was happy to have folks use them. I would also give folks directions to the potter to buy them if they wished. I don't think people should just take a mug or any item, branded or not, without being invited to do so

Wendy is a potter so we make our own logo'd mugs "in house" (so to speak), but they cost a lot more than 65 cents! We actually don't put them out in the cottages for fear that they will go missing, or get broken, rather we sell them -- and many returning guests will bring their mugs back with them when they come back to stay!

My mugs were $8 to $12+ each, pottery, and were not logo mugs or give aways. They were made by a potter in Maine with blueberries on them and it was obvious they were not mass produced. I had bought some much less expensive as part of a dinner set and went in search of similar, fell in love with the hand made version. Expensive to me to keep two dozen on hand ... But I loved them and was happy to have folks use them. I would also give folks directions to the potter to buy them if they wished. I don't think people should just take a mug or any item, branded or not, without being invited to do so.
Edgecomb or Georgetown pottery? I don't think the place we got ours is open any longer, they've never returned my calls and their website was hacked.
Our plates are pretty beat up after 13 years!

was on the road on the way to the end of the peninsula. Not the fancy potter who has been featured at the smithsonian and with martha stewart but a local small potter. I would buy 4 at a time. But I don't recall the potter's name ... it was an artist's co-op.
Back to Audrey - I never had people steal, borrow, lose, or accidentally pack! sets of towels. If it's stated in your policy that you are charging if they go missing, are you covered or will this prompt a charge back?

was on the road on the way to the end of the peninsula. Not the fancy potter who has been featured at the smithsonian and with martha stewart but a local small potter. I would buy 4 at a time. But I don't recall the potter's name ... it was an artist's co-op.
Back to Audrey - I never had people steal, borrow, lose, or accidentally pack! sets of towels. If it's stated in your policy that you are charging if they go missing, are you covered or will this prompt a charge back?.
You have to call the client for permission to charge or they can easily charge back. Of course, you can also call the cops instead, which usually means that they prefer the CC charge.
But how expensive do the towels need to be that people would actually steal them? Maybe a better solution is to start to buy the ugliest colour of towels, so they don't want to steal them... like ORANGE.

My mugs were $8 to $12+ each, pottery, and were not logo mugs or give aways. They were made by a potter in Maine with blueberries on them and it was obvious they were not mass produced. I had bought some much less expensive as part of a dinner set and went in search of similar, fell in love with the hand made version. Expensive to me to keep two dozen on hand ... But I loved them and was happy to have folks use them. I would also give folks directions to the potter to buy them if they wished. I don't think people should just take a mug or any item, branded or not, without being invited to do so.
Edgecomb or Georgetown pottery? I don't think the place we got ours is open any longer, they've never returned my calls and their website was hacked.
Georgetown pottery mugs are gorgeous! like paintings or small sculptures. But cost about $25 each. And Edgecomb potters is $39 and up.

Georgetown pottery mugs are gorgeous! like paintings or small sculptures. But cost about $25 each. And Edgecomb potters is $39 and up.
Up to now, my potter has charged me $10 each, but I think it will be $15 with the next order (he has been undercharging me, I know). I sell them for $20. each one is thrown individually.

Kathleen, your mugs are gorgeous! I love mine.
heart.gif
That is an amazing price he is giving you.

We lose a wash cloth now and then but recently some one took a brand new beach umbrella. That is a rare occurrence, fortunately. Had to run out yesterday to by 2 new ones for incoming guests. That makes me sad....keep hoping that they just forgot it was in the trunk of their car. But how do you miss an umbrella?

Back