Guests who won't eat alone

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
Here we sit, well into the breakfast hour and one guest is sitting in the common room waiting for other guests to wake up. We've offered him breakfast but he doesn't want to eat alone. That means all the rooms will show up at once and it'll be a scramble to get them all fed.

MooseTrax said:
That means all the rooms will show up at once and it'll be a scramble to get them all fed.
And that's different from most mornings how?
wink_smile.gif

So?
Not to sound mean, but why can't a guest wait? He can't have coffee for a while and relax?

Maybe too, despite your offering breakfast, he thinks he is doing you a favor so that you don't have to make/serve breakfast for just one person. Some people take awhile to get going in the morning, too. And, there are a lot of folks that actually dread eating by themselves. I would take it as a compliment that he is comfortable with his coffee :)

So?
Not to sound mean, but why can't a guest wait? He can't have coffee for a while and relax?.
Joe Bloggs said:
So?
Not to sound mean, but why can't a guest wait? He can't have coffee for a while and relax?
He keeps asking 'where is everyone?' He's been asking since 7:30! First he wanted to know if he had missed everyone. Then he paced around asking why was everyone sleeping so late. I think he's hungry! He's really nice and he made friends with everyone last night, as we found out when everyone else got up. We didn't know that at the time. Had he just said, 'I want to wait for Bob and the others,' we would have just gone back to reading the paper. It was the pacing and 'where is everyone?' that made us think he was hungry and ready to eat.

Doesn't he know b&b physics? The minute he sits down and you go to prep for one the rest of the herd will come stampeding down!

Doesn't he know b&b physics? The minute he sits down and you go to prep for one the rest of the herd will come stampeding down!.
Kailin said:
Doesn't he know b&b physics? The minute he sits down and you go to prep for one the rest of the herd will come stampeding down!
Usually the way B&B physics works is the person who comes first for breakfast but does not sit down at that time ends up having to wait for a seat! Luckily this guy wasn't shy and he just pulled up a chair with some other guests at their table. (in spite of wandering around waiting for everyone else when everyone else came he went to answer a phone call!)

So?
Not to sound mean, but why can't a guest wait? He can't have coffee for a while and relax?.
Joe Bloggs said:
So?
He keeps asking 'where is everyone?' He's been asking since 7:30! First he wanted to know if he had missed everyone. Then he paced around asking why was everyone sleeping so late. I think he's hungry! He's really nice and he made friends with everyone last night, as we found out when everyone else got up. We didn't know that at the time. Had he just said, 'I want to wait for Bob and the others,' we would have just gone back to reading the paper. It was the pacing and 'where is everyone?' that made us think he was hungry and ready to eat.
MooseTrax said:
Joe Bloggs said:
So?
refill his cup with decaff.
cheers.gif

I can completely understand the frustration of having even MORE "on" time heaped upon us with an obviously lonely hearts club guest like that.
As if we all don't have enough to do to prep for breakfast, to add in a lost puppy following us around from the second they leave their room until the last minute of the day when they've finally sucked our last breath of energy from us, is ridiculous.
IF this guest could have just been slightly less needy, grabbed a cup of coffee and the paper and amused himself for even part of the time, we'd not be discussing this at all.

I am so the opposite of much that is spoken of on this forum - I love the guests in the morning. It is the check-in time dragons I don't love. The next day I hardly recognize most of them!
I love that they enjoy coffee, I love seeing their eyes light up talking about their adventures and lives. I love breakfast. It is not a burden, it is the best part of the double B experience. I love having them enjoy their meal, enjoy conversation, enjoy the new day ahead.
I hate cleaning rooms, I hate doing laundry 24/7, I hate telemarketers who will never leave me alone day in and day out, night and day...really it is not the guests who bug me in this business. Sure some of them can be boring, some ask the same questions each and every time, I feel like I have told the same stories (well I have), some make silly mistakes, some can't find their way out of a paper sack...I think they are never here long enough to really annoy me.
wink_smile.gif

Don't even say it...I didn't curse myself...right? I will keep you informed if I did!! ha

So?
Joe Bloggs said:
So?
MooseTrax said:
Joe Bloggs said:
So?
refill his cup with decaff.
cheers.gif

Good one.
thumbs_up.gif

I can completely understand the frustration of having even MORE "on" time heaped upon us with an obviously lonely hearts club guest like that.
As if we all don't have enough to do to prep for breakfast, to add in a lost puppy following us around from the second they leave their room until the last minute of the day when they've finally sucked our last breath of energy from us, is ridiculous.
IF this guest could have just been slightly less needy, grabbed a cup of coffee and the paper and amused himself for even part of the time, we'd not be discussing this at all..
That wasn't the problem. The better half loves the morning time with the guests and talking to everyone even if they are right in the kitchen, as long as they are not in the way. My worry is what happens as I explained in the physics comment. This guest will find himself without a place to sit when everyone does show up. But, he was comfortable just pulling up a chair at a table with other guests so it all worked out in the end.
The morning kaffe klatsch can be the best time of all. A lot of connections are made at that time which is great because it is the time right before the guests leave so they go away feeling like they had a really good time.
And the evening social hour is another good time for guests and us to connect. The way we look at it is that we don't have a life in season. If we can steal an hour here and there, good for us and good for the guests. But if we can't we realize there is a long off season ahead. At this point in time more of the in season is behind us than ahead of us so more free time is looming.

I am so the opposite of much that is spoken of on this forum - I love the guests in the morning. It is the check-in time dragons I don't love. The next day I hardly recognize most of them!
I love that they enjoy coffee, I love seeing their eyes light up talking about their adventures and lives. I love breakfast. It is not a burden, it is the best part of the double B experience. I love having them enjoy their meal, enjoy conversation, enjoy the new day ahead.
I hate cleaning rooms, I hate doing laundry 24/7, I hate telemarketers who will never leave me alone day in and day out, night and day...really it is not the guests who bug me in this business. Sure some of them can be boring, some ask the same questions each and every time, I feel like I have told the same stories (well I have), some make silly mistakes, some can't find their way out of a paper sack...I think they are never here long enough to really annoy me.
wink_smile.gif

Don't even say it...I didn't curse myself...right? I will keep you informed if I did!! ha.
Ditto Joe! Although, I don't get check-in dragons either. The only two things I hate about this business are not getting to spend enough time with my family during high season (although I squeezed more of that in this summer then ever before) and all the freakin' GROCERY SHOPPING. I would rather clean 12 toilets than go grocery shopping.

wink_smile.gif

Don't even say it...I didn't curse myself...right? I will keep you informed if I did!! ha.
You and I are two peas in a pod ;-) I LOVE breakfast and getting to know the guests in their "relaxed" state & listening to them laugh at the table with the other guests. :)
I am kind of enjoying the quiet around here though now too.........

wink_smile.gif

You and I are two peas in a pod ;-) I LOVE breakfast and getting to know the guests in their "relaxed" state & listening to them laugh at the table with the other guests. :)
I am kind of enjoying the quiet around here though now too.........
I love the guests, too. I am beginning to despise the cleaning part of it. I would rather go grocery shopping 12 times than turn a room, lol!
C

I really enjoy the guest connect at breakfast. Since we are so small, we do have the time to chat. I do not like to eat alone. Conversation makes for a much more satisfying meal.
Years ago, I took my R & R as a motorcycle trip back to WV and spent one night in Charleston. Because of the rain I had traveled in, I had cleaned up and did not feel like getting back into motorcycle gear for dinner - so I went to the restaurant at the HI (employee discounts for rooms helped a lot). While waiting for my food, I finished the paperback I had with me and had worked the crossword puzzle. At the next table was a gentleman also alone. I asked him if he enjoyed eating alone and he responded sometimes but not usually. So I invited him to join me which he did. Lovely conversation. He was local and had come to go to the comedy club. He invited me to be his guest at the comedy club. It was a nice evening and a pleasant thanks for a lovely evening in the lobby and goodnight made it perfect. (Nothing more was implied or expected which is why it was a nice evening.)
One of the most commented things in the books in our rooms is the good conversations.

Back