Hacked

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBBoB

Reaction score
I discovered that our site was hacked this morning. I have a google alert set up for any articles that have our name in it. We had about 20 alerts on it for all sorts of stuff that I new was not on our site. I called our hosting provider. The found that it had been accessed through the FTP port using our password! Our password has #'s, caps, letters and symbols in it. If it wasn't for the alerts and monitoring the Statcounter stats, I may not have known about the hack till the next time I updated the site.
Just an FYI
BBBBob

Thanks for letting us know Bob, sorry for your troubles, another bump in the road of innkeeping.

Had that happen too. Your host can block all ip's but yours on the FTP login. It does mean you can't update when on vacation or something but it makes it very secure.

I don't know why a hacker would bother spending the time to hack a small company's site. I guess they have some automated system that does it for them, so no effort spent doing it.
I wonder if the Internet would have been better if Apple had designed it.

I don't know why a hacker would bother spending the time to hack a small company's site. I guess they have some automated system that does it for them, so no effort spent doing it.
I wonder if the Internet would have been better if Apple had designed it..
Probably better but it would cost more and we couldn't use flash. ;)

If your password was complicated, like you describe BBBBob, My first concern is that one of your computers has a keylogger running on it.
whattha.gif

If your password was complicated, like you describe BBBBob, My first concern is that one of your computers has a keylogger running on it.
whattha.gif
Did not think of that .
BBBBob

Back