Had me at hello...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
DD16.75 has a young man whom we think is "Mighty fine". He has approached the entire situation with confidence, honor and respect. We have met his parents.
This young man "properly" shook our hand to meet us day one and walks said DD16.75 home from school when possible and spends time with us. I usually put their idle hands to work making dinner AND washing up. Which he thinks is quite culinary-arts-like, for the daughter of B&B owners. He has fun and DD16.75 has fun. "She" doesn't understand why Mom does this...but Mom understands why Mom does this.
Last night, the other shoe dropped...
We were having dinner, which he, of course helped prepare. Finding spices such as coriander used on grilled pork chops were a delight and new experience, as he has never had that at home.
I asked him what his favorite restaurant was, to eat out. His reply, and now this is the part that warms my heart... "IHOP"
Really? I say. What is at IHOP that you like so much?
His reply "Breakfast"
"My son you have come to the right place!" I smile.
He will be here on Sunday before church when I am cookin' for guests and the family, so he can try pecan pancakes for the first time. I tell you, I like this kid!

Yes, it's rare to find a teenager like that one these days! Congrats! Is this the one with the Andy Griffith accent?

Yes, it's rare to find a teenager like that one these days! Congrats! Is this the one with the Andy Griffith accent?.
Virginian accent. We shall see perhaps a bit thicker than Andy's. Since he is NC. We are only an hour 30 from Mayberry, though.
thumbs_up.gif

I keep tellin' ya, ya gotta watch the polite ones like hawks. The one and only Southern boy I ever brought home was all yes ma'am, no sir, shake your hand polite IN the house but hell on wheels once we took off. And he hasn't changed a bit in 40 years!

I keep tellin' ya, ya gotta watch the polite ones like hawks. The one and only Southern boy I ever brought home was all yes ma'am, no sir, shake your hand polite IN the house but hell on wheels once we took off. And he hasn't changed a bit in 40 years!.
Madeleine said:
I keep tellin' ya, ya gotta watch the polite ones like hawks. The one and only Southern boy I ever brought home was all yes ma'am, no sir, shake your hand polite IN the house but hell on wheels once we took off. And he hasn't changed a bit in 40 years!
Yeah well not this one.
There are plenty of dirt-bag southern boys, trust me, I have two daughters. Where did I put that loaded shotgun?...
shades_smile.gif

They all say yes ma'am around here.

That's so great! I hope your DD doesn't get bored with a good guy.
Ya know, there still are many Norman Rockwell moments out there. You don't really experience them if you're living in a city any more.
I was driving down a rural road a couple days ago and I was behind a big yellow school bus. The bus pulls over, put on it's flashers and there's a house across the street where there's a little dog that ran to the end of it's driveway. It was so excited and happy because it knew the child would be getting off the bus (no adults around). It was wagging it's tail and it put a big smile on my face. So, the little boy, probably around 10 years old gets off the bus with a saxophone case in his hand, crosses the street in front of the bus and the little dog is so happy.....but then a big golden retreaver comes barreling down the driveway to greet the little boy and runs around him so happy as he greets both dogs.
I couldn't believe how lucky I was to see this. It was so sweet and innocent and could have been right out the 1950s. I almost burst out in tears. I know it sounds sappy, but sometimes we forget that there's life out there that's not all the crappy stuff you see on the news and tv shows.
I'm still grinning from that scene.

Ya know, there still are many Norman Rockwell moments out there. You don't really experience them if you're living in a city any more.
I was driving down a rural road a couple days ago and I was behind a big yellow school bus. The bus pulls over, put on it's flashers and there's a house across the street where there's a little dog that ran to the end of it's driveway. It was so excited and happy because it knew the child would be getting off the bus (no adults around). It was wagging it's tail and it put a big smile on my face. So, the little boy, probably around 10 years old gets off the bus with a saxophone case in his hand, crosses the street in front of the bus and the little dog is so happy.....but then a big golden retreaver comes barreling down the driveway to greet the little boy and runs around him so happy as he greets both dogs.
I couldn't believe how lucky I was to see this. It was so sweet and innocent and could have been right out the 1950s. I almost burst out in tears. I know it sounds sappy, but sometimes we forget that there's life out there that's not all the crappy stuff you see on the news and tv shows.
I'm still grinning from that scene..
I was driving down a rural road a couple days ago and I was behind a big yellow school bus. The bus pulls over, put on it's flashers and there's a house across the street where there's a little dog that ran to the end of it's driveway. It was so excited and happy because it knew the child would be getting off the bus (no adults around). It was wagging it's tail and it put a big smile on my face. So, the little boy, probably around 10 years old gets off the bus with a saxophone case in his hand, crosses the street in front of the bus and the little dog is so happy.....but then a big golden retriever comes barreling down the driveway to greet the little boy and runs around him so happy as he greets both dogs.
That is the exact same reason I gave for getting our dog. You nailed it BD!
Someone whose whole body shakes they are so happy to see you, even if you just went to work or school. Unconditional love. Aren't pets grand?!
To add to your Rockwell moment, when the girls were little and caught the bus, the same "body wagging dawg" actually did what that dog did, but boarded the bus. Could not wait on the curb any longer...she had the whole bus-full of kids roaring in laughter. The doors opened, she went up the steps and found her family walking down the aisle toward her...she ran to them.
and, it was so great the next time she sneaked out of the house to board the bus in the morning to go with them!
heart.gif

I was driving down a rural road a couple days ago and I was behind a big yellow school bus. The bus pulls over, put on it's flashers and there's a house across the street where there's a little dog that ran to the end of it's driveway. It was so excited and happy because it knew the child would be getting off the bus (no adults around). It was wagging it's tail and it put a big smile on my face. So, the little boy, probably around 10 years old gets off the bus with a saxophone case in his hand, crosses the street in front of the bus and the little dog is so happy.....but then a big golden retriever comes barreling down the driveway to greet the little boy and runs around him so happy as he greets both dogs.
Someone whose whole body shakes they are so happy to see you, even if you just went to work or school. Unconditional love. Aren't pets grand?!
To add to your Rockwell moment, when the girls were little and caught the bus, the same "body wagging dawg" actually did what that dog did, but boarded the bus. Could not wait on the curb any longer...she had the whole bus-full of kids roaring in laughter. The doors opened, she went up the steps and found her family walking down the aisle toward her...she ran to them.
and, it was so great the next time she sneaked out of the house to board the bus in the morning to go with them!
heart.gif

My dog got on the school bus with me one morning. Luckily, I was a newly transplanted city kid so when the country kids started laughing at me trying to get the dog off the bus I was able to just glare at them and shut them up. ;-)
That dog was a stray that adopted us. It waited for us every Friday night when we drive up to our country house from the city. We finally took it home to the city and then brought it back when we moved into the summer house permanently.
Those vignettes happen in the city, too. I have a friend who posts pix of his dog interacting with homeless people on the street and they get a little cheer in their day from this little mop of a dog.
Dogs are the best.

heart.gif

My dog got on the school bus with me one morning. Luckily, I was a newly transplanted city kid so when the country kids started laughing at me trying to get the dog off the bus I was able to just glare at them and shut them up. ;-)
That dog was a stray that adopted us. It waited for us every Friday night when we drive up to our country house from the city. We finally took it home to the city and then brought it back when we moved into the summer house permanently.
Those vignettes happen in the city, too. I have a friend who posts pix of his dog interacting with homeless people on the street and they get a little cheer in their day from this little mop of a dog.
Dogs are the best.
Madeleine said:
Dogs are the best.
...and to be fair, I have been told "My country cat could eat your city dog!" haha (Pssst don't tell her tho)

Breakfast Diva said:
I'm still grinning from that scene.
Just reading this, let alone seeing it, made me tear up. Thanks for sharing!

heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
heart.gif
When our neighbor's son was in 1st grade, his pet sheep got on the bus with him in the morning.

heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
heart.gif
When our neighbor's son was in 1st grade, his pet sheep got on the bus with him in the morning.
Penelope said:
Mary had a little lamb Re-mix

heart.gif

Jo That is the exact same reason I gave for [B said:
getting our dog.[/B] You nailed it BD!
heart.gif
I knew she was a special dog!

Joey, my DH and I fell in love in high school and he was (and still is) that same man who was kind, fun, and respectful to me and my parents. Sometimes what you see is what you get. He sounds like a good one. Along those same lines, I had heard the expression "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" so that's why I started cooking when I was so young! I knew this one was a keeper and I just kept on feeding him until he couldn't live without me!
regular_smile.gif

This is so timely. This blog entry is written by a special lady who grew up next door (to me as a kid and to the B&B). I met the family about the time the photo was taken and used to babysit for them.

This is so timely. This blog entry is written by a special lady who grew up next door (to me as a kid and to the B&B). I met the family about the time the photo was taken and used to babysit for them..
Innkeep said:
This is so timely. This blog entry is written by a special lady who grew up next door (to me as a kid and to the B&B). I met the family about the time the photo was taken and used to babysit for them.
Awesome!

Back