Had to happen sooner or later

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
You know that sinking feeling when you check your email and realize someone you thought you'd ditched long ago has now found you on FB and wants to be friends. The person who only wants to tell the same story over and over again about some really stupid thing you did in high school.

Ye Gads. I did so many crazy things I'm ripe for something like that....
Riki

Can you accept them as a friend and then "hide" them?? Or if you really don't care to talk to or be friends with just ignore their request and maybe they will get the hint!

I just ignore requests of people I'd rather not be reaquainted with. So far it has worked. This FB thing can be very fun but does have the potential to bring out some of those old skeletons we wish would never be remembered. So far, so good for me. Guess we all have silently made an oath to keep the past the past.

Morticia, for future reference, there is a place in settings where you can type in people you never want to find you - as in, they seach for Morticia Addams, and they will only find the Morticia Addamses who are not you.
Ask me how I know
sad_smile.gif
Anyway, it saves you the grief of repeatedly ignoring that stalker person who thinks the two of you were so much better friends than you actually were.
FWIW, I also have friends who are hidden - but remember, when you hide someone, they are only hidden in your news/live feed. They can still see everything you do/say (per your settings) unless they hide you. And they can write on your wall. I find myself hiding friends who don't realize (or whose friends don't realize) I can't have certain vocabulary show up on my screen when I don't expect it...

If you are worried about hurting feelings, you can also accept them as a friend and then a few days later just go into your settings and click "Break Connection"...they don't get a notice that you did this, they just won't see your posts.
My FB page is strictly for my family. I have had guests find the Inn's page and see me listed as a friend so they try to friend me and those I just ignore.

Morticia, for future reference, there is a place in settings where you can type in people you never want to find you - as in, they seach for Morticia Addams, and they will only find the Morticia Addamses who are not you.
Ask me how I know
sad_smile.gif
Anyway, it saves you the grief of repeatedly ignoring that stalker person who thinks the two of you were so much better friends than you actually were.
FWIW, I also have friends who are hidden - but remember, when you hide someone, they are only hidden in your news/live feed. They can still see everything you do/say (per your settings) unless they hide you. And they can write on your wall. I find myself hiding friends who don't realize (or whose friends don't realize) I can't have certain vocabulary show up on my screen when I don't expect it....
I did this strictly to have a fan page for the inn. Then 'real' friends and family found me and friended me. I still don't spend much time keeping up and barely respond to anything not biz-related.
Ha, ha, I have a cousin I have hidden. I know what you mean about unexpected language. And unwanted opinions.
I hadn't given any thought to anyone looking for me. I was on Classmates for a long time and no one ever emailed, so I figured, good, it's all in the past except for those few people I keep up with. I wasn't clique-y in school, so no 'posse' that might wonder what happened to me. I lived so far out in the woods during school, the only kids who knew where I lived were the ones who saw me get off the bus and wander off down the unpaved road!

If you are worried about hurting feelings, you can also accept them as a friend and then a few days later just go into your settings and click "Break Connection"...they don't get a notice that you did this, they just won't see your posts.
My FB page is strictly for my family. I have had guests find the Inn's page and see me listed as a friend so they try to friend me and those I just ignore..
I've been getting quite a few friend requests from other innkeepers. Those are usually ok.

Back