Had to happen...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We have the keypad lock system and I give each guest their own code. Easy for them to remember so no more 'I forgot what the code is' stuff. Well, eventually it had to happen...I entered what they put on their rez but it was a typo. For 3 rooms here together. Luckily, one of the rooms they had has an exterior entry door to which they had the key. All the guests entered thru that room when they returned late at night.
Verify, verify, verify.
I told them the code, showed it to them written down, explained what it was (lightbulbs went on) and they all agreed the code was correct.
Now I have to ask them to tell me their zip code rather than the other way around. Then I can verify it's what they told me when they booked and it's what I entered.

Ike - maybe we don't have the same type of system, but mine is so simple to reprogram, I would (now) just fix it. Not that fast, since I'd have to reprogram guest room doors as well as the front door, but that's what I'd shoot for.
THAT said, when this actually happened to me, I didn't think to tell the guests, "Oh, have an iced tea while I fix this." But, at the time, I was keeping a "spare" code in the front door for deliveries being made when I couldn't be here. I just gave the guests the code and they had no problem remembering it (lucky me).

Ike - maybe we don't have the same type of system, but mine is so simple to reprogram, I would (now) just fix it. Not that fast, since I'd have to reprogram guest room doors as well as the front door, but that's what I'd shoot for.
THAT said, when this actually happened to me, I didn't think to tell the guests, "Oh, have an iced tea while I fix this." But, at the time, I was keeping a "spare" code in the front door for deliveries being made when I couldn't be here. I just gave the guests the code and they had no problem remembering it (lucky me)..
Not a problem to reprogram, but I didn't know until they were leaving and they told me they couldn't get in the previous night. I got their sheet, showed them the number that they'd all agreed was correct and they all chimed, 'That's not right!' Oy.

We make them enter the code and try it, once, just to make sure "we" programmed it correctly. Catches all the mistakes and ensures that they can get back in.

We make them enter the code and try it, once, just to make sure "we" programmed it correctly. Catches all the mistakes and ensures that they can get back in..
That might work. I say 'might' because we used to do that with the other lock and we used to get the eye-rolling crowd who thought we were a bit 'over protective'. Can't win for losing.

We make them enter the code and try it, once, just to make sure "we" programmed it correctly. Catches all the mistakes and ensures that they can get back in..
That might work. I say 'might' because we used to do that with the other lock and we used to get the eye-rolling crowd who thought we were a bit 'over protective'. Can't win for losing.
Alibi Ike said:
I would be put out if you tried to have me enter the code in your presence. But then many of your guests are "blind in one eye and can't see out the other!" Oddly enough, when I have the "grey tops" show up, they open the door and try it in MY presence and I am standing there like come on let's get this rodeo on the road, the bus is pulling in behind you!
I won't eye roll but I would not be perturbed. Please we have to stop baby sitting these guests! I IMPLORE YOU, ALL OF YOU! UNTIE THOSE BLASTES APRON STRINGS AW-READY!
wink_smile.gif

We put the blame on ourselves. "Just to make sure that we have programmed it correctly."

Back