Had to share this..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok, talk about one laid back cat...I just had to share this. Here is Fluffy our 16 year old..who actually...still hunts like a young'en. But this squirrel must be his "buddy" because he just stares and stares at it. Maybe he realizes it is too big to fight with :)
The reason I was taking the pic...this squirrel is on the front porch every day...licking the mortar joints!!! It is too funny!!! I read that they do it to lick out the salts. I can't believe there is any left in it after 45 years!!!
laidbackcat.jpg

That looks just like the one that lives underneath my gazebo. When it is sunny he will come up on the deck and sun himself.

I love it! This is like our dog with the chipmunks...let a squirrel get within 20 yards of her and she's off, but those chippies can run right in front of her face and she lets them be...we're convinced they have some sort of secret deal worked out!

That's a great photo! Too bad you weren't still open as a B&B you could use it on your site and put in some sappy slogan about how your porch brings everyone together and everyone feels welcome
tounge_smile.gif

Hey how'd Paul Anka get all the way to your house, I just saw him on top of the hayloft!
Edited to say our squirrel's name is Paul Anka.

I think these squirrels are cloning themselves. As for names, I guess ours is just That Squirrel. As in "There's That
potty-mouth.gif
Squirrel again!"

My previous neighbors had 3 indoor/outdoor cats and had a cat door for them to use. One night while they were watching tv they heard a really loud crunching sound and turned around to see the cats sitting around their food bowl while a possum was eating their food!
Love the picture of Fluffy!!

That is a calendar shot right there! Amazing! And for it to turn its back on Fluffy is even more amazing.

My previous neighbors had 3 indoor/outdoor cats and had a cat door for them to use. One night while they were watching tv they heard a really loud crunching sound and turned around to see the cats sitting around their food bowl while a possum was eating their food!
Love the picture of Fluffy!!.
Oh yeah..if I forget and leave some of his food on the porch...the possum will for sure be there eating it and Fluffy will be standing there staring at him!

Our cat brought two different dead chipmunks to the door today. Each time I threatened to trade her for Fluffy who would just admire the wildlife and not kill it...and not bring it to the doorstep ;) I don't think she listened.
Catlady, if a box shows up in a few days with a small black cat in it, please keep her (she answers to kitty-kitty-bad-kitty) and send Fluffy to us. ;)

Today, a very persistent squirrel was sitting at our back door waiting for an invitation to come into the kitchen. Needless to say we shooed him off, but it reminds me of a story which happened last year.
DH was sitting at the computer in our little office area of the kitchen, when he heard a noise. He looked up and to his surprise there was a squirrel poking his head up and over from the inside edge of one of our food buckets! He was inside the bucket of about 10 pounds of chocolate chips! I think DH was just as startled as the little squirrel. DH said "What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be in here....get outta here!" Well, he listened to DH and the little guy jumped out of the bucket and ran out the back door where the screen was a little loose! We couldn't believe it....he had actually eaten his way through the thick top lid of the bucket (one of those large Ice Cream buckets you get at the cheese factory) and was trying to eat all the chocolate chips stored inside. Now, I've heard of chocolate cravings, but this guy was hooked!
The story doesn't end here. The next day I was sitting at the same computer when I heard an unusual sound. I got up and looked at the back door and guess who was trying to get back in for another chocolate chip party! Yup, the same squirrel, but this time all he found was a tight screen that was fixed. He was scratching, trying to get in. I shooed him away and I thought it was all over. No such chance...this little guy needs a 12 step program for his chocolate addiction. About an hour later, you guessed it, I was sitting at that same computer and this time I heard a very strange noise coming from the main entry room of the inn. I got up to check, and this addicted squirrel was on his hind legs scratching at the glass on the front door!!! He wanted his chocolate and somehow figured out both doors. Well, I really chased him away and threatened him with letting our dog catch him and we didn't see him again after that.
So...what do you think the chances are that the squirrel that appeared at our back door today was the same one from a year ago? I know it's a long shot, but sure makes for some good speculation. Personally, I'm going to name him "Chippy"!!!!!!

Our cat brought two different dead chipmunks to the door today. Each time I threatened to trade her for Fluffy who would just admire the wildlife and not kill it...and not bring it to the doorstep ;) I don't think she listened.
Catlady, if a box shows up in a few days with a small black cat in it, please keep her (she answers to kitty-kitty-bad-kitty) and send Fluffy to us. ;).
You should feel honored that the dead treasures where brought to your doorstep. I have heard that is a sign that they are bringing that to the head cat of the pride (you) - so go ahead and fix yourself a tasty chipmunk sandwich... ketsup or beer might help it go down the gullet

Squirrels are nothing if not persisent and given they have a life span of about 6 years, it very well could have been the same one.

Squirrels are nothing if not persisent and given they have a life span of about 6 years, it very well could have been the same one..
SweetiePie said:
Squirrels are nothing if not persisent and given they have a life span of about 6 years, it very well could have been the same one.
The squirrels that get on my bird feeders have a very short life span. I think of it as a service. I'm sending them to a better place.
devil_smile.gif

I watched a chipmunk today. It ran under my car, stood up on it's hind legs and sniffed the underside of the car. Apparently that was the wrong car because it then ran under hubs's car and did the same thing. However, under his car, it jumped up and into the underside of the car. Popped back out, did the sniff test again, and then jumped back up in another spot.

I watched a chipmunk today. It ran under my car, stood up on it's hind legs and sniffed the underside of the car. Apparently that was the wrong car because it then ran under hubs's car and did the same thing. However, under his car, it jumped up and into the underside of the car. Popped back out, did the sniff test again, and then jumped back up in another spot..
Check you air filter holder for nuts. They load up our cars all the time like that.

I watched a chipmunk today. It ran under my car, stood up on it's hind legs and sniffed the underside of the car. Apparently that was the wrong car because it then ran under hubs's car and did the same thing. However, under his car, it jumped up and into the underside of the car. Popped back out, did the sniff test again, and then jumped back up in another spot..
Check you air filter holder for nuts. They load up our cars all the time like that.
swirt said:
I don't think he was storing, I think he was shopping! Hubs thinks he's eating the brake lines (which had to be replaced). I had that once...totally loaded up vent line to the A/C duct. Turned the A/C on and filled the car with chippie nest.

Squirrels are nothing if not persisent and given they have a life span of about 6 years, it very well could have been the same one..
SweetiePie said:
The squirrels that get on my bird feeders have a very short life span. I think of it as a service. I'm sending them to a better place.
devil_smile.gif

Stew for dinner?
We were at a muzzle-loader shoot. One of the guys had brought a pot of stew. Sheryl was perhaps a freshman in high school at the time and she was on her third bowl of it when she heard one of the guys ask, "What kind of stew is that?" Response: squirrel. Sheryl's response? Urp!

SweetiePie said:
devil_smile.gif

Stew for dinner?
We were at a muzzle-loader shoot. One of the guys had brought a pot of stew. Sheryl was perhaps a freshman in high school at the time and she was on her third bowl of it when she heard one of the guys ask, "What kind of stew is that?" Response: squirrel. Sheryl's response? Urp!
gillumhouse said:
Stew for dinner?
YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barf.gif

SweetiePie said:
devil_smile.gif

Stew for dinner?
gillumhouse said:
Stew for dinner?
YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barf.gif

It was so funny at the time. We used to have to settle for squirrel or rabbit for Thanksgiving - Daddy could shoot them, you had to BUY turkey.

Back