Hairy subject

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I do wear an embroidered (denim) apron. Makes me look like a country style french maid. If I wore a scarf .. well, now I am stereotyping.

I wear a buff which is like a tube of material and they come in a wide variety of colours. I have quite long hair so it keeps it out of everything as well as keeping it clean.

No. I am not a chef and I am not a commercial kitchen. Health dept. doesn't require it. I use enough hairspray to keep mine in place.

Nope it is not required. But I often have my hair tied back to keep it out of my face and out of the food.
RIki

I have a clip in my hair right now.
2011 was a year of shedding bad for me, I am always freaky about this.
You mention cafeteria lady net or scarf or cap, IF I were in public view cooking (open kitchen) then I would be sure to have my head covered with something if my hair were medium to long.

Ball cap is the minimum requirement for the cook. Servers are supposed to have their long hair pulled back and no nail polish can be worn by anyone cooking or serving.
Do we do this? Well, we both have very short hair and neither of us wear nail polish.

No cap or net here. I have very long hair and I twist it all up, pile it on top of my head with a big barrette to keep it in place. Nothing gets loose from that. I do wear food service gloves when handling any food that is not being cooked. I just don't think people want to see other people handling their food with bare hands, even though I'm a fanatic about hand washing - it's an image thing.

No hair net, no nail polish, no barrette and no ball cap.
devil_smile.gif
Short haired man might have something to do with it.
devil_smile.gif

I wore a 'snood' ... and a baseball cap ... to contain lots of thick hair. It's very distressing to have someone pull one of my hairs out of their food! gross ... even piled up on my head like pebbles flinstone, hair can fall out.
I just took a food safety course and they were ramming home the hairnet, 'beardnet' issue. I won't go into it, but hair carries lots of bacteria, you'd be surprised. Before taking the course, I was just thinking of the ick factor.

BTW, sure I don't want to be picking hair out of my food anywhere, but it looks so 'lunch lady-ish' to have a hairnet on in the B&B kitchen. And in the restaurants around here where you can see into the kitchen, I haven't noticed any hairnets or anything other than a cook's toque. (The small, round bill-less caps.)

And don't forget - no pony tails when using yard machines (pile the hair on top of your head and clip it so nothing is dangling) - I was blowing the leaves out of the pontoon boat one day while getting it ready for Spring launching when my pony tail got sucked up into the blower's motor - stalled the motor and melted my hair. I had to have a friend come over and cut the blower off my head. That will never happen to me again.
Perhaps that's why I wear my hair piled up on top of my head all the time now. Occasionally, when I let it down, my friends are surprised at how long it it. The worst thing that happens now is that I occasionally get varnish in my hair bangs - that's a sticky mess.

Back