Haiti in dire need of soap to help combat cholera epidemic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Haiti in dire need of soap to help combat cholera epidemic[/h1]Article here
After reading this you will then think, well we have leftover soap and maybe we can help... here is the next link to Clean the World - and then the B&B participants section. Now, having looked at this in the past I will highlight the requirements to participate, which as a smaller inn will probably put some of you off this idea.
highlights:
This program allows Clean the World to fully process all the amenities you donate and make them ready for distribution. As a B&B Recycling Partner Clean the World will provide:
  • Partner Certificate. Tell the world you are working with Clean the World to help save lives while recycling needless waste by displaying your Partner Certificate.
  • Your B&B’s will be listed on the Clean the World web site
  • Access to our online training materials
  • Mention in monthly newsletter as a new participating B&B
  • Quarterly statements detailing the amount of soap and shampoo donated during that period.
  • The B&B agrees to provide Clean the World with:
  • $50 annual donation ($4.17 per month)
  • Shipping cost of amenities to Clean the World’s recycling plant.We recommend using the Flat Rate Boxes from the US Postal Service. These boxes ship anywhere in the country for a low flat rate (even lower when you ship online).
  • Small: 5 3/8 x 8 5/8 x 1 5/8 – Rate: $4.95
  • Medium: 2 sizes: 11 7/8 x 3 3/8 x 13 5/8
  • OR 11 x 8.5 x 5.5 – Rate: $10.70
  • Large: 12 x 12 x 5.5 – Rate: $14.50
[/list]Click here for more info on becoming a Recycling Partner[/h3]

So my overall thought is, $50 annual donation plus shipping $ of the soap, I could buy at wholesale cost SOAP for that amount.
I am not recommending this program, just presenting it to you. There are tons of valuable programs out there, I personally need to evaluate the org who is doing this prior to donating. Donating is a private matter for each of us, to do what we feel is right in our heart, so here it is, wish there was a way for all of US HERE to donate the soaps and know that the org or person bringing the soap to Haiti or whichever country we send it to. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to pop them onto this thread.

Here is another program that helps domestic abuse victims
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/shelter/default.asp
IF you felt you wanted to melt down the leftover soaps and make handcrafted soaps. I mean if anyone HERE is interested in doing this and wanted a once a year mailer filled with my soaps? Or for any other cause. Please feel free to share.

I have donated leftover "mis-matched" inn amenities to a battered women's shelter here. They came and picked everything up as they can't reveal the location of the shelter. That worked for me. :) They also have drives here for toiletries for the homeless shelters.

So my overall thought is, $50 annual donation plus shipping $ of the soap, I could buy at wholesale cost SOAP for that amount.
I am not recommending this program, just presenting it to you. There are tons of valuable programs out there, I personally need to evaluate the org who is doing this prior to donating. Donating is a private matter for each of us, to do what we feel is right in our heart, so here it is, wish there was a way for all of US HERE to donate the soaps and know that the org or person bringing the soap to Haiti or whichever country we send it to. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to pop them onto this thread..
Appreciate you sharing. But you know...after looking at the news last night and all the mess going on in Haiti...I doubt if those who need the soap would even get it! Did you see all the supplies and medicines just sitting there in stockpile....not getting to the people who need it. SOmeone needs to go in and throw out that government and get something done for these people. The whole capital city just looks like it needs to be bulldozed into the ocean and start from scratch. It would be better than what I see going on there now. THis situation is awful!

I am not recommending this program, just presenting it to you. There are tons of valuable programs out there, I personally need to evaluate the org who is doing this prior to donating. Donating is a private matter for each of us, to do what we feel is right in our heart, so here it is, wish there was a way for all of US HERE to donate the soaps and know that the org or person bringing the soap to Haiti or whichever country we send it to. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to pop them onto this thread..
Appreciate you sharing. But you know...after looking at the news last night and all the mess going on in Haiti...I doubt if those who need the soap would even get it! Did you see all the supplies and medicines just sitting there in stockpile....not getting to the people who need it. SOmeone needs to go in and throw out that government and get something done for these people. The whole capital city just looks like it needs to be bulldozed into the ocean and start from scratch. It would be better than what I see going on there now. THis situation is awful!
catlady said:
Yes, that is why this is for innformation only, I wanted to broach the subject of USED GUEST SOAP for those who may use individual wrapped soap.
That is what I am doing by bringing this up. It wasn't really about one particular country, and yes having a big heart and giving to everyone with their hand out is not wise, we can make informed decisions on where and who we donate anything to.

I am currently collecting and co-ordnating milk bottle top collection for cancer in my whole area which is fine. Would be happy to send soap if I actually thought it would make it there but I doubt it. Last year it was milk bottle tops for wheelchairs and we got so many it took 2 people carriers to take them away and we got 2 chairs so hoping for a similar reponse. We use liquid soap so not much use to us.

would love to do this, even if it does not go to Hatii, it can go elsewhere where soap is needed. I hate throwing the soap away and end up putting it in one big box-don't know what I would do with it, but I just can't seem to throw it in trash.

Back