HALP! Oily stains on sheets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
I know I've been gone awhile, but yes, I'm still alive. We have been very busy. We will be two years old in August and we seem to be more popular than ever.
regular_smile.gif

I'm sure this has been covered, but my search on the forum didn't find any specific answers. What do you use to remove unidentified oily stains from sheets? We're pretty sure that it has to be something like a lotion from someone's nightly beauty regime because most bodily fluids (yuk!) do tend to come out in a regular wash.
We have had marginal success with OxyClean Gel Stick, but here lately there seems to be a rash of greaseballs frequenting our rooms and that doesn't work.
Someone suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid with a bit of ammonia added to the wash. Any other suggestions. And yes, we have thought about using print sheets, just can't seem to find any in HTC Egyptian Cotton (that a B&B owner can afford).
PT

Greased Lightning seems to work pretty well here, even after something has been washed & dried.

I have some luck with Carbona #5, mostly on my own clothes with oil or butter splatters. I lost a full set of sheets early on to a guy with some disgusting product in his hair. If the sheets are a cotton/poly blend, the stains are near impossible to get out.

I am a broken record - Murphy's Oil Soap. Wet area, pour on, rub in, and wash with usual detergent as regular wash.

I am a broken record - Murphy's Oil Soap. Wet area, pour on, rub in, and wash with usual detergent as regular wash..
You guys are great! Thanks!
It's so weird that we have not had this problem for a year and half since we opened, but here lately we have this problem once a week.
Could it be that the sheets have just lost their umph? I know clothes lose sizing and such, but I never considered that there may be something on sheets that is lost after multiple washings.

I am a broken record - Murphy's Oil Soap. Wet area, pour on, rub in, and wash with usual detergent as regular wash..
You guys are great! Thanks!
It's so weird that we have not had this problem for a year and half since we opened, but here lately we have this problem once a week.
Could it be that the sheets have just lost their umph? I know clothes lose sizing and such, but I never considered that there may be something on sheets that is lost after multiple washings.
Sometimes you just get a rash of people using a new product. I'm dreading this new 'self-tanner' that washes off. No one will shower before going to bed...

Any ONE of these should work (don't go mixing)
Fells Naptha soap (rub it on) then wash as normal
Ammonia is a great degreaser, (stinks a bit, but works great if it is grease)
WD-40 ..... followed by a wash with dish detergent
(that is probably the order I would try them in too.)
Welcome back PT.

Proud Texan said:
I know I've been gone awhile, but yes, I'm still alive. We have been very busy. We will be two years old in August and we seem to be more popular than ever.
regular_smile.gif
Welcome back
shades_smile.gif

we have a bridal fair twice a year here and some of the models are regulars they are lovely but I dread them comming cos it is makup and fake tan over everythings and cotton buds and tissues and the mess!

We had to retire the sheets in question. They are mostly clean, but not enough that I want to put them back on the beds. We'll keep them in reserve in case we get a guest with an overactive bladder.
barf.gif
We got a pretty long run out of them, so it could be worse.

Back