Handicapped Room bed height

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbid

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a set bed height for a handicapped room? I just had a guest stay and say it needed to be 20” and she had a very hard time transferring from her wheelchair into our 24” high bed. It is our lowest bed and in the 11 years we have been open, we have only had 4 guests use the room that are in wheelchairs. Many more request it just for the grab bars etc. but not many wheelchairs. Thanks

ADA compliancy is 20"
If you haven't, you should visit the ADA website to get all the specifications for a handicapped accessible room.

ADA compliancy is 20"
If you haven't, you should visit the ADA website to get all the specifications for a handicapped accessible room..
I might be overlooking it but I cannot find anything about 20” height in the 34 page ada compliancy book. After scanning the document, I did a search for 20”, height, bed, mattress, and none of those had it.

How many rooms do you have. If 5 or under you do not have to do the ADA rules. If you have more, then you do. If not, I wouldn't bother changing things just because one person complained in all that time

here is a link to a checklist for everything. these are guidelines. scroll down to bedrooms.
i would hope that someone who is planning to stay with you in a room would share their needs with you and you could tell them the heights and dimensions so they can decide if it will work for them.
a friend who often uses a wheelchair had his entire place renovated to his own specifications ... he uses grab bars and a side guard ... but this is his own bed. his preference is a bed of 20 inches from floor to mattress top. and yes, 2 inches can make a huge difference depending on mobility. he can struggle with 22 inches, but 24 is just too high. the problem is transferring from chair to mattress, from mattress to chair, from chair to toilet and so on, alone. he is paralyzed completely on one side so his mobility is vastly different from someone who can use both arms and can grasp and swing themselves over. he can get into bed unassisted, but he often cannot get out of bed alone.
i applaud you for trying ... and it is not easy.
by the way, he is a veteran and i told him about the free night stay at b&b's for vets, but so far he has not found a place that can accommodate his needs. he is NOT a fussy man by any means and forces himself to walk and climb stairs ... he cannot always do it. it is a little scary to me to watch the stair climbing and descent. but if he does not force himself to remain active his muscles atrophy.

ADA compliancy is 20"
If you haven't, you should visit the ADA website to get all the specifications for a handicapped accessible room..
I might be overlooking it but I cannot find anything about 20” height in the 34 page ada compliancy book. After scanning the document, I did a search for 20”, height, bed, mattress, and none of those had it.
I do not know about bed height "rules" but our daughter jsut treated us to a new mattress & box spring. We left the plastiv on so we could "test" the bed because we had ordered as low-profile box spring butthey delivered a regular one. DH found it too high for getting his leg wrapped and in the brace in the morning and even worse for taking it off at night. They finally did bring the low-profile and it is great.
The low profile box spring is about half the thickness of a regular box spring. I have no idea how much it costs - it was a gift and we do not ask how much....

Back