Handling guests who don't cooperate

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
As you know, we have the keypad entry here. How would YOU handle guests who repeatedly go out and come back and ring the bell to get in, saying 'I forgot the code'? We GIVE them the code on a key ring so it's not like they can even get back into their room without it.
I'm getting cranky in my old age. I don't want to go back to keys and finding the front door unlocked all the time. But I'm really getting annoyed at the doorbell ringing at 7 AM and waking other guests up.

Man, I don't know how to deal with that. That is sheer laziness. Even my older guests have no problems with the code. We give them a business card and write it on the back. Not the most secure thing to do, but it works...
RIki

FOR THAT ONE GUEST UNLOCK THE DOOR so it is unlocked when he/she is coming and going. Then say aloud with me "They stay, they pay they go away" and sigh...then move on to the nice smart likable guests.

I would make them wait ages so they give up and use the code. First time 5 mins second time 10 mins if they query your time say well I was dealing with something and I knew all the guests have the code so I asumed it was a double glazing salesman so didn't rush. I am sure this works especially well if it is raining I find that focuses people's mind very rapidly! (I am in a bit of a grumpy mood today by the way as one group of guests two room came early to check in said they would be back at 6pm but could they leave the car (fine) didn't come back till 11.30pm drunk and insisting they had booked a double and a twin when they had booked 2 doubles. Was exhaused as had had a mad day (DH went to bed at 8pm) Plus they had hacked me off as they had booked two rooms for 3 nights to get round my minimum stay over this conference then cancelled it down to 1 night right in the middle blocking everything, I am sure he did it on purpose. So I am really not a happy camper he is not comming back.

Ringing our bell at 7am would wake the whole house just once, if someone rang it repeatedly I tell ya what, we would have very unhappy guests here. Groups, they go in and out in and out and refuse to close the door or use the keypad...we unlock it for their stay (except when we are not here) it just solves that issue. No reason to get overly aggravated, just do WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. Then be glad when they fork over the dinero and move on...

HOW RUDE!!!!
If they did it more than once I would say something like , "Are you having a problem with the code II gave you to use? Ringing the doorbell is disturbing all of the other guests in the house." Or just leave the door unlocked
pita.gif

I would make them wait ages so they give up and use the code. First time 5 mins second time 10 mins if they query your time say well I was dealing with something and I knew all the guests have the code so I asumed it was a double glazing salesman so didn't rush. I am sure this works especially well if it is raining I find that focuses people's mind very rapidly! (I am in a bit of a grumpy mood today by the way as one group of guests two room came early to check in said they would be back at 6pm but could they leave the car (fine) didn't come back till 11.30pm drunk and insisting they had booked a double and a twin when they had booked 2 doubles. Was exhaused as had had a mad day (DH went to bed at 8pm) Plus they had hacked me off as they had booked two rooms for 3 nights to get round my minimum stay over this conference then cancelled it down to 1 night right in the middle blocking everything, I am sure he did it on purpose. So I am really not a happy camper he is not comming back..
'Double glazing salesman' yup, I have to use that one, too!
I had someone try to cancel down to one room on a 2-night min, luckily, I had a waiting list and had his room filled before he got off the phone. But, otherwise, no way. You book, it's yours. You want to cancel 2 nights, then no rooms at all.

Ringing our bell at 7am would wake the whole house just once, if someone rang it repeatedly I tell ya what, we would have very unhappy guests here. Groups, they go in and out in and out and refuse to close the door or use the keypad...we unlock it for their stay (except when we are not here) it just solves that issue. No reason to get overly aggravated, just do WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. Then be glad when they fork over the dinero and move on....
This will sound stupid, but it's too much trouble to unlock the door for one idiot. It throws off all the other guests who very nicely have been entering the code for 2 days and will continue to do so today as well.
I never know who it is going to be, either. Sometimes we go weeks without a clown and then we get 3-4 of them in a row.
We forget to relock the door if we set it to 'open' not that it is a big deal unless we're out. We've thought about having it open until 9 PM but, again, too much work. Maybe it's the kind of lock we have but it has to be taken apart to set the locked/unlocked feature. If it was easier, the code would be set individually for each guest.

Morticia said:
I don't want to go back to keys and finding the front door unlocked all the time. But I'm really getting annoyed...
Don't go back. If you do, then it will just be "we left the key in our room" or worse, "we lost the key".
Camb is the genius. Make 'em wait longer and longer before you let 'em in.

hmmm....not sure about how to handle this one. Can you set your lock with multiple codes? Then you could have some kind of idjit code set up that is beyond easy to remember.
wink_smile.gif

I have a feeling that it's not that they forgot the code but they forgot how to operate the lock and how to open the door. Example, you enter the code. Nothing happens. BECAUSE you have to turn something or press a handle down and then push the door open! We had this happen just a few times. Folks, it's not a magic door! haha.
smileystooges.gif

They stay, they pay, they go away and then come people who are not keypad lock challenged. :)

hmmm....not sure about how to handle this one. Can you set your lock with multiple codes? Then you could have some kind of idjit code set up that is beyond easy to remember.
wink_smile.gif

I have a feeling that it's not that they forgot the code but they forgot how to operate the lock and how to open the door. Example, you enter the code. Nothing happens. BECAUSE you have to turn something or press a handle down and then push the door open! We had this happen just a few times. Folks, it's not a magic door! haha.
smileystooges.gif

They stay, they pay, they go away and then come people who are not keypad lock challenged. :).
I can hear the dang thing beeping as they hit the buttons, so this guy never hit a single button other than the doorbell.
Anyhoo...we are going to the idjit code system.

Back