Handling the antsy guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'm sure we all have our 'set' speech we give when guests arrive...It includes things like where to find us if they need us, where things are if they need them, where not to go in the inn (new one for us, but necessary), info about dining, etc. You know what the list is. Now I know ginocat says she'll catch up with guests after they've had a chance to relax. But, it's 7:30 and I'm tired. I'd like to have a glass of wine and watch some TV. I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs waiting for a guest to decide they can deal with me now.
So, if a guest cuts you short when you are explaining things, do you:
  1. Say, 'I'll just take a minute more of your time with this important info';
  2. Stop the 'tour' immediately and drop them at their door;
  3. Continue along as if they didn't interrupt;
  4. Say, 'Please ring the bell when you have a minute so I can give you this information';
  5. Other...
And, yes, I do realize that some guests don't plan. They got in the car 5 hours ago, didn't stop, drank coffee all the way and now, by golly, they have to pee. I'm happy to show just one of them the layout while the other runs to pee. But what happens then is the person I show everything to never bothers to show the other person who then ends up ringing the bell to get in at 10PM because no one told them how to open the door.

Continue along but cut out the small talk - that's what I do. The entire time knowing they do not hear a word I am saying.
wink_smile.gif

When they get into the room they can read the check in sheet on the bed with much of the same reviewed for this exact reason, and late/self checkins.

We have chatty guests here tonight. I was ready to call it quits after hitting the highlights, but they wanted a tour of all the rooms and are very nice. We were also halfway through our dinner. That's when microwave ovens are handy. haha!
How do you phrase the "where not to go in the inn"? There are a couple in this group that seem curious and I'm not sure the "Private" signs will deter them. That would have been a good part of this tour :)

We have chatty guests here tonight. I was ready to call it quits after hitting the highlights, but they wanted a tour of all the rooms and are very nice. We were also halfway through our dinner. That's when microwave ovens are handy. haha!
How do you phrase the "where not to go in the inn"? There are a couple in this group that seem curious and I'm not sure the "Private" signs will deter them. That would have been a good part of this tour :).
Samster said:
How do you phrase the "where not to go in the inn"? There are a couple in this group that seem curious and I'm not sure the "Private" signs will deter them. That would have been a good part of this tour :)
Actually, for this one it was easy...it was a child. He wanted to go everywhere so I very pointedly told him he could go where the doors were open but not into my kitchen. 'No one is allowed in my kitchen.' Others I have just said, 'The kitchen is off limits to guests, everything you need should be right here,' and I point to the beverage service area. (Which I then show them if they can wait that long.)

Continue along but cut out the small talk - that's what I do. The entire time knowing they do not hear a word I am saying.
wink_smile.gif

When they get into the room they can read the check in sheet on the bed with much of the same reviewed for this exact reason, and late/self checkins..
Good. I have the room book so I can do that, too. 'Everything you need to know is in this book, see you in the morning!'

i say
'it seems you are anxious to get settled.'
'everything i could think of is written in this blue book' - i take it from the desk in their room and hand it to them, with their keys. ( everything i could think of tell guests really is written in that book. )
'i am headed off to bed now, i was up early. see you in the morning.'
and i smile and i leave.
most of the time, guests don't then come looking for me if i tell them i am going to bed. yes, it might be before 8. but if i got up at 5, i want to head to bed.

We usually have "Welcome Aboard Rum Punch" when guests arrive. I do my speech BEFORE serving the rum punch. That seems to keep everyone "with" me...'cuz they want to be there when I'm done. :)
I, too, have a "Welcome Aboard" book in each stateroom. I also email this in a pdf to the guests prior to their arrival hoping they read it first. I do give a tour on the way to showing guests to their stateroom, explaining safety items such as where fire extinguishers are, where life vests are (not that we need them for dockside B&B, but if the boat were to catch fire, I'd want folks to know where they were in case they are exiting overboard), where fire exits are, where their room and bathroom are NOT, what an EPIRB is and how not to touch it ($10,000 fine by the Coast Guard), where the Halon lever is and how not to touch it unless the boat's engine rooms are on fire, how to operate the AC in their rooms, where beverages and goodies are, etc.
The one speech I make darn sure I give BEFORE anyone gets too comfortable in their room is what you can and CANNOT flush down the toilet, making eye contact with the ladies, in particular. I make it very clear that if they flush a forbidden object, they WILL be going after it. I supply the tools, rubber gloves, shop vac, and a "how-to" instruction booklet with color photographs, and I will offer to stand over their shoulder and give personal instruction. Guess how I made the booklet...yep..someone flushed something she shouldn't, and I had to break apart the pump and dig it out. That was the last time I did that. And if they don't want to dig it out, a new toilet pump is $900. I'll be happy to let them buy me a new one. :D So far, my scare tactic has been effective, and it's relayed with a smile, of course, but we are quite serious about that one.

We usually have "Welcome Aboard Rum Punch" when guests arrive. I do my speech BEFORE serving the rum punch. That seems to keep everyone "with" me...'cuz they want to be there when I'm done. :)
I, too, have a "Welcome Aboard" book in each stateroom. I also email this in a pdf to the guests prior to their arrival hoping they read it first. I do give a tour on the way to showing guests to their stateroom, explaining safety items such as where fire extinguishers are, where life vests are (not that we need them for dockside B&B, but if the boat were to catch fire, I'd want folks to know where they were in case they are exiting overboard), where fire exits are, where their room and bathroom are NOT, what an EPIRB is and how not to touch it ($10,000 fine by the Coast Guard), where the Halon lever is and how not to touch it unless the boat's engine rooms are on fire, how to operate the AC in their rooms, where beverages and goodies are, etc.
The one speech I make darn sure I give BEFORE anyone gets too comfortable in their room is what you can and CANNOT flush down the toilet, making eye contact with the ladies, in particular. I make it very clear that if they flush a forbidden object, they WILL be going after it. I supply the tools, rubber gloves, shop vac, and a "how-to" instruction booklet with color photographs, and I will offer to stand over their shoulder and give personal instruction. Guess how I made the booklet...yep..someone flushed something she shouldn't, and I had to break apart the pump and dig it out. That was the last time I did that. And if they don't want to dig it out, a new toilet pump is $900. I'll be happy to let them buy me a new one. :D So far, my scare tactic has been effective, and it's relayed with a smile, of course, but we are quite serious about that one..
Dang! "Welcome Aboard Rum Punch" too! I'm definitely going to have to set up a savings fund for a trip your way.
teeth_smile.gif

i say
'everything i could think of is written in this blue book' - i take it from the desk in their room and hand it to them, with their keys. ( everything i could think of tell guests really is written in that book. )
and i smile and i leave.
most of the time, guests don't then come looking for me if i tell them i am going to bed. yes, it might be before 8. but if i got up at 5, i want to head to bed..
seashanty said:
Physically handing them the book seems to be a good idea. Maybe I'll take it out of the room after each guest and glance throught it, making sure all the pages are still there and in good condition. Then hand it to the next guest as they check in, and are shown their room.

The one speech I make darn sure I give BEFORE anyone gets too comfortable in their room is what you can and CANNOT flush down the toilet, making eye contact with the ladies, in particular. I make it very clear that if they flush a forbidden object, they WILL be going after it. I supply the tools, rubber gloves, shop vac, and a "how-to" instruction booklet with color photographs, and I will offer to stand over their shoulder and give personal instruction. Guess how I made the booklet...yep..someone flushed something she shouldn't, and I had to break apart the pump and dig it out. That was the last time I did that. And if they don't want to dig it out, a new toilet pump is $900. I'll be happy to let them buy me a new one. :D So far, my scare tactic has been effective, and it's relayed with a smile, of course, but we are quite serious about that one..
Dang! "Welcome Aboard Rum Punch" too! I'm definitely going to have to set up a savings fund for a trip your way.
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rum Punch with fresh blueberries...YUM!!
Did I mention mimosas and Bloody Mary's at breakfast? Hey, folks are on vacation when they're here! So, sometimes they do enjoy an open bar at breakfast. The morning bar is more popular during a charter than at B&B since everywhere they are going on a charter...someone else is driving. :)

i say
and i smile and i leave.
most of the time, guests don't then come looking for me if i tell them i am going to bed. yes, it might be before 8. but if i got up at 5, i want to head to bed..
seashanty said:
Physically handing them the book seems to be a good idea. Maybe I'll take it out of the room after each guest and glance throught it, making sure all the pages are still there and in good condition. Then hand it to the next guest as they check in, and are shown their room.
We had the basic INFORMATION /RULES on one sheet of paper...back & front. Laminated and placed prominently on the bed in every room We also had a complete notebook in each room with menus, things to do, brochures etc etc.
That way I could just show them the paper, say "please go over all of this important information" The notebook also has lots of helpful stuff. If you have any questions, please just ask us.

Noooo....not when they've had time to relax. I show them to their room, tell them to bring their luggage in (give them time to use the bathroom) and then come directly to the guest lounge so I can get them registered. Then I say "I'll see you there in a few minutes." If they don't come up quickly I will, after 15 minutes, go and get them.
Now if someone arrives late then I will hand them a map with circled restaurants and tell them I'll talk with them and give them any info they want in the morning. If they are really late they will have a note on the door. I need my rest and my own time.
I think the key is having lots of info in each room. I have info about us, the bb, restaurants, available tours, favorite trails, etc. I tell them that the info is in their room. It is the very odd time that I have someone looking for me to ask a question.
R

Noooo....not when they've had time to relax. I show them to their room, tell them to bring their luggage in (give them time to use the bathroom) and then come directly to the guest lounge so I can get them registered. Then I say "I'll see you there in a few minutes." If they don't come up quickly I will, after 15 minutes, go and get them.
Now if someone arrives late then I will hand them a map with circled restaurants and tell them I'll talk with them and give them any info they want in the morning. If they are really late they will have a note on the door. I need my rest and my own time.
I think the key is having lots of info in each room. I have info about us, the bb, restaurants, available tours, favorite trails, etc. I tell them that the info is in their room. It is the very odd time that I have someone looking for me to ask a question.
R.
ginocat said:
I knew you did something like that. I've had guests 'disappear' who I am waiting for in the check-in area. They go out the front door and go shopping or to dinner. It's why I like it all done within 5 minutes of them walking thru the door. Otherwise, they are gone. This same couple are the ones who took the whole newspaper away this morning and had the other guests following the paper to get the sections they wanted. Very much on their own schedule.
confused_smile.gif
One nighters, on their way to their 'real' vacation.

R.
ginocat said:
I knew you did something like that. I've had guests 'disappear' who I am waiting for in the check-in area. They go out the front door and go shopping or to dinner. It's why I like it all done within 5 minutes of them walking thru the door. Otherwise, they are gone. This same couple are the ones who took the whole newspaper away this morning and had the other guests following the paper to get the sections they wanted. Very much on their own schedule.
confused_smile.gif
One nighters, on their way to their 'real' vacation.
I don't know why you have that problem? I've never had anyone disappear after I told them to put suitcases in the room and then come to the lounge and get registered. The worst that has happened is that someone decided to have a shower first. Even my American and Canadian guests behave when it comes to that.

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rum Punch with fresh blueberries...YUM!!
Did I mention mimosas and Bloody Mary's at breakfast? Hey, folks are on vacation when they're here! So, sometimes they do enjoy an open bar at breakfast. The morning bar is more popular during a charter than at B&B since everywhere they are going on a charter...someone else is driving. :)
Absolutely! Plus you're in Miami...Mimosas...yummy.

Back