Happy Gal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
Got an email. Scientists going to do a study in the area want two rooms in the motel for three weeks--can we do a special rate of $5.00 off per day of our full rate? That is less than our online discounted rate. Yep we can do that! Shoulder season booking too. We have worked with these folks years back and they always stayed here. They are good people too!

But if you were me, you'd be sitting around every day waiting for the phone call with their cancellation! It just seems like every time a really good deal comes along, it falls through.
So, glad you're not me! Enjoy their visit. Enjoy their payment!

Up front deposit for sure! At least a week's worth. That seems fair to you and them.

thumbs_up.gif

But if you were me, you'd be sitting around every day waiting for the phone call with their cancellation! It just seems like every time a really good deal comes along, it falls through.
So, glad you're not me! Enjoy their visit. Enjoy their payment!.
Actually, I've been accused of being a pessimist. I believe if anyting can go wrong it will--just life experience. I think I'm a realist--I just prepare as best I can for what I feel will go wrong.
That's what makes me so happy here. Project manager got his start as a student working on a project for my husband. He vacationed with us last year and never asked for a discount. This year we are now really close to his project area.
Various scientists doing work in the nearby forests have always been a big part of the motel business here. I am hoping we can rebuild that.

That's great, as a side note, working for a gov't organization, when on travel I don't really care and our internal travel folks don't care, how much a hotel night costs as long as it falls under the perdiem rate. http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120 And I know many would prefer to stay at a smaller place, but no one has time to call around to find out if say a B&B in the area would meet perdiem, or if they could pull out the charge for the night and breakfast seperately in the receipt so that it would meet perdiem
I've always wondered why smaller hotels don't advertise that they can meet perdiem. I mean, if you were on travel for your work, wouldn't you rather stay at a B&B?

That's great, as a side note, working for a gov't organization, when on travel I don't really care and our internal travel folks don't care, how much a hotel night costs as long as it falls under the perdiem rate. http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120 And I know many would prefer to stay at a smaller place, but no one has time to call around to find out if say a B&B in the area would meet perdiem, or if they could pull out the charge for the night and breakfast seperately in the receipt so that it would meet perdiem
I've always wondered why smaller hotels don't advertise that they can meet perdiem. I mean, if you were on travel for your work, wouldn't you rather stay at a B&B?.
CafeMae said:
I've always wondered why smaller hotels don't advertise that they can meet perdiem. I mean, if you were on travel for your work, wouldn't you rather stay at a B&B?
Smaller places can't afford per diem. Per diem here is half my rack rate. Large hotels can afford having 2-3 rooms taken by guests paying 1/2 the going rate. They have the other 500 rooms making up the difference.

I've always wondered why smaller hotels don't advertise that they can meet perdiem. I mean, if you were on travel for your work, wouldn't you rather stay at a B&B?.
CafeMae said:
We do per diem rates (1/2 of our normal rate) but only during our slow season. We have two hotels in town that have contracts to provide rooms, and one training facility with 200 rooms owned by the government. We offer the rates to folks who would prefer to stay at our place over those places, not because it actually helps our business much.
That doesn't stop government employees from trying to bring their spouses/mothers to our nice B&B on the government's dime and getting pissed off when I say per diem is limited to one person per room. Or, as happened recently, writing a TA report about how breakfast is extra at our B&B. Also, when they cancel at the last minute for all sorts of different reasons and refuse to pay the cancellation charge.
We put all the information on our website about when we will do per diem, but it certainly would help if government agencies who are sending people out on travel would educate them a little on B&Bs so that they make the choice to stay at one wisely.

CafeMae said:
Smaller places can't afford per diem. Per diem here is half my rack rate. Large hotels can afford having 2-3 rooms taken by guests paying 1/2 the going rate. They have the other 500 rooms making up the difference.
Madeleine said:
CafeMae said:
That makes sense. What brought this to my mind was a recent meeting. In my job (and you may recall that my inn I'm building is not where I live now), I had a meeting a couple weeks ago with four colleagues coming in from out of town,staying 3 nights each for the meeting mid week. There are 4 B&Bs in our town, two of which whose rack rate for breakfast and lodging is within $35 of our city's per diem rate. I would have loved to provide some alternatives to the hotels here when they asked about lodging and support small businesses.

CafeMae said:
Madeleine said:
CafeMae said:
That makes sense. What brought this to my mind was a recent meeting. In my job (and you may recall that my inn I'm building is not where I live now), I had a meeting a couple weeks ago with four colleagues coming in from out of town,staying 3 nights each for the meeting mid week. There are 4 B&Bs in our town, two of which whose rack rate for breakfast and lodging is within $35 of our city's per diem rate. I would have loved to provide some alternatives to the hotels here when they asked about lodging and support small businesses.
CafeMae said:
Madeleine said:
CafeMae said:
Just to help clarify, to an inn a gvmt per diem is close to a loss on the room rate, it is not actually supporting small businesses. $70 a night here (pretty sure that was the last time I checked). I would love if they decided like you say, to support us and allow us to give a substantial discount. Consider the inns who hire - it costs money to have guests in a room, this is something people tend to overlook. Esp in the off season, when they just assume the rooms are vacant so they need the money. It costs $ to have a guest in a room.
Its pretty much a joke in our state, as you know we have the biggest gvmt contractors anywhere here outside of DC, and all the businesses try to scrape off the small mom and pop business meanwhile they are NASDAQ companies.

CafeMae said:
Madeleine said:
CafeMae said:
I once had a guest from OKLA who usually stayed at the B & B north of me but they had a conflict so she stayed here. As she left, she told me she did not realize all B & Bs were so nice (our grandsons were here and we invited her to have dinner with us since she had come back early one afternoon). She traveled in her job as a lawyer for the State of Okla and from then on, if there was a B & B available she was staying at a B & B even if she had to make up the diference herself. We kept in touch for years after that as she had us on her Christmas card list - until she retired.

I hope that this works out for you and they are great guests. You've worked so hard on your property!!

thumbs_up.gif

Back