Happy Monday Innmates!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
And we're off at a run...another week - 910am and my guests are not down for breakfast yet...
Why do innkeepers look tired and worn out? Because we are!
See this is what people don't get, if there is one once in a while, it doesn't drain us, but to have this day in and day out really makes us weary.
I had two rooms not call not, nor give us a check in time that arrived at 1130PM on friday. SELF CHECK INS? YOUBETCHYABELLYBUTTONSWEDO! Why we wait and wait is ludicrous. Right now I am beginning to feel the morning edge arrive in my nerves...Up early to MAKE YOUR BREAKFAST, WHERE ARE YOU?

9:30 AM brekkie didn't show. Still no signs of life. Smokers and we haven't seen them leave the building since 7 PM yesterday. Don't get me started!
We are going ahead with our reno work. We can't sit here waiting for them to get up and leave. Power up the table saw!

This is the answer at the end of the day for all these waiting issues...we cannot control what they are going to do, we can only control ourselves and try to make the best use of the time. If that means starting another project and then they have to wait for you so be it. We gotta take care of ourselves first.

This is the answer at the end of the day for all these waiting issues...we cannot control what they are going to do, we can only control ourselves and try to make the best use of the time. If that means starting another project and then they have to wait for you so be it. We gotta take care of ourselves first..
Table saw is powered up. I'm working on the blog & website. STILL no signs of life.

9:30 AM brekkie didn't show. Still no signs of life. Smokers and we haven't seen them leave the building since 7 PM yesterday. Don't get me started!
We are going ahead with our reno work. We can't sit here waiting for them to get up and leave. Power up the table saw!.
This is something that we are concerned about. DH needs to start on the bathroom walls and the siding for the new wing. It's on the other side of the common area, and on the other side of the common area is the current rented wing of two rooms.
We have guests coming full throughout the month. But I am afriad to have anyone working on the far side of the building in case they want to hang out and enjoy our peace and quiet. But DH can't wait to see if they are going to leave the inn to go do things to arrange for his helper.
So I guess we are left doing just what we can do on our own and I'll have to block off time for when we need the help to come side.
RIki

Oh yeah y'all wonder how I find time to blog - I find time as I AM ALWAYS WAITING! They just left, 1120AM. Check out is 11am, they loved their stay. HOOOO-RAHHHH I have a whole days worth of work and I am too pooped to do anything now, but I have to, adios. PS Check out innteractive....

We are going ahead with our reno work. We can't sit here waiting for them to get up and leave. Power up the table saw!.
This is something that we are concerned about. DH needs to start on the bathroom walls and the siding for the new wing. It's on the other side of the common area, and on the other side of the common area is the current rented wing of two rooms.
We have guests coming full throughout the month. But I am afriad to have anyone working on the far side of the building in case they want to hang out and enjoy our peace and quiet. But DH can't wait to see if they are going to leave the inn to go do things to arrange for his helper.
So I guess we are left doing just what we can do on our own and I'll have to block off time for when we need the help to come side.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
I feel for you! Even vacuuming or mowing the lawns when guests want to "CHILL OUT" is intrusive. Inside it is better sound proofing though, so hopefully it will all work out. I have little kids in warm weather down the street screaming up and down...things we always worry about. No, your DH needs to get to work, maybe that will be incentive for them to get out and about! WE CAN HOPE!

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Life and work must continue.... Since this is major construction on your property and close to the guest areas you may consider a disclaimer in your confirmations letting guests know that during "8 to 5" they may hear sounds of construction as Riki's place is getting bigger and better - they can see progress in the making! This provides them the knowledge prior to arrival, yet does not discourage them from booking if placed directly on your site. Yes you could loose a few bookings but better that then disgruntled guests that expected peace and quiet. Also remember peace and quiet is relative... our place is peaceful and quiet in my way of thinking, but I did have a complaint that the frogs & crickets were so loud they could not think! Sometimes you can't win!!!

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Life and work must continue.... Since this is major construction on your property and close to the guest areas you may consider a disclaimer in your confirmations letting guests know that during "8 to 5" they may hear sounds of construction as Riki's place is getting bigger and better - they can see progress in the making! This provides them the knowledge prior to arrival, yet does not discourage them from booking if placed directly on your site. Yes you could loose a few bookings but better that then disgruntled guests that expected peace and quiet. Also remember peace and quiet is relative... our place is peaceful and quiet in my way of thinking, but I did have a complaint that the frogs & crickets were so loud they could not think! Sometimes you can't win!!!
copperhead said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Well right now it's not major. The building is up. The siding I consider major. But building the inside bathroom walls I don't consider major. Putting in the new well and septic will be major and I'll either block it off or offer a discount. We have up on our facebook pictures of it so guests are not concerned or they simply ask if any work will be going on when they plan to come. RIght now our problem is we're so booked we can't do the work. No time.
But we also note on our website we are the only B&B in Charlottesville with a working vineyard so they should not be suprised if they hear the tractor now and then.
RIki

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
When I schedule labor, I make it 10 to 6. That's a good 8 hr workday with daylight saving, I don't worry about waking anyone, and it let's me finish breakfast for the 9:00 plus folk. Labor doesn't mind as they get more time ... to sleep it off or visit their PO or fulfill other obligations before they come to work.
Any guest planning to hang around during the day, I ask if they want to help .. dig, mow, cut and split, chop/whack weeds, etc. .. for an extra $50 as a "country living experience". They laugh and decline, but don't complain about the noise, as they are loafing while others work. I hope they feel a little guilty, living a pampered life.

My sister and her friends arrived - from Scott City, MO. We had a lovely evening. Wouldn't you know I had a call for 2 rooms for 3 nights starting tomorrow! I gave them the numbers of 2 other B & Bs in the area. My sister & her friends said they all could have been in one room - I told them no way. I was not about to have to make breakfasts before we could go anywhere nor were they going to be cramped (if I get a booking for one room, my sister will bunk-up with one of the others though). This her first time to visit me and one lady has stayed at many B & Bs but this is a first for the other one (and for my sister),

My sister and her friends arrived - from Scott City, MO. We had a lovely evening. Wouldn't you know I had a call for 2 rooms for 3 nights starting tomorrow! I gave them the numbers of 2 other B & Bs in the area. My sister & her friends said they all could have been in one room - I told them no way. I was not about to have to make breakfasts before we could go anywhere nor were they going to be cramped (if I get a booking for one room, my sister will bunk-up with one of the others though). This her first time to visit me and one lady has stayed at many B & Bs but this is a first for the other one (and for my sister),.
Good for YOU! Sometimes I think these situations come up just so we can reaffirm and make the right decision and put OURSELVES first! Hope you have a wonderful visit.

Back