Has anyone had an intern work at their place?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
Hi ...
We were just asked if we'd like a college intern for the next 5 months.. Love the idea, but unfortunately it's our slow season. Have you ever had an intern and if so what kind of things did you have them do?

There are all kinds of things an intern could do in the off-season.
Help set up and execute postcard mailing campaigns to guests within your state (who may be most likely to visit in the offseason)
Help update and improve guest welcome books for the rooms.
File, file, file all of those piles of paperwork that are just impossible to get to.
Audit your online reputation weekly, spending a couple of hours at a time checking everything online that mentions your inn - and make sure it's all up-to-date and being utilized effectively to market your inn.
Review and revise your emergency planning information. If you're in earthquake country and have earthquake kits set up for each room, they can make sure they're stocked and up-to-date. Or they can create them if you don't already have them.
If it's a culinary intern and there aren't a lot of brekkies to be cooked in the next 5-months, have them develop some menus to use year-round. This can include some new brekkie menus as well as some picnics-to-go like JB recently set up.
If it's a marketing intern, have them fully analyze your stats and figure out how effective what you're doing now is - and develop a report for you on new opportunities you may not have discovered yet.
Have them write up some press releases for you to edit and release. Have them research all the media contacts in your media kit and update it as needed.
And last but not least, if they can answer the phones and check in your guests a few hours each week while at the same time attending to their ongoing list of projects, you can have a break. And that's nice anytime of year.
Of course, cost is a big factor in how much it's worth it. Some interns are free. Some have small stipends. So what the deal actually is, in terms of costs, will make a big difference in whether it's worth it or not.

She's is majoring in hospitality and we're lucky...her internship is free. Good point on the filing.. We do have alot of year end things that will need to be filed and stored. She is willing to work any weekend and Mon, Wed and Fri after classes.

Sounds like you can't go wrong as long as you have some projects for her to do while she's there on slow days. There's really no limit to the kinds of projects an intern can do. If you need to do them or want to do them but just don't have time to get to them, well, you' ve got an intern project!
I'll have to say that I have never turned down an opportunity to have an intern. And I have never been disappointed.
Great that she's a hospitality intern because that means every little thing you do (or would like to do) is relevant.
She'll develop lots of valuable skills and you'll get things done you'd never be able to on your own. She'll probably require periodic reviews so there's always some work on your part. But it's always, in my book, a great trade-off.
If I have a list of projects ready to go, I'm always excited to check on the progress and happy to write up a short review as each stage is completed. What I get in return always makes up for it. And, in the long run, makes everything work much better, much more smoothly, and with better results. Every hand helps.
Just make a list of things. Prioritize them. And let her get to work!

one assignment: give her a supply of your rack cards and a notebook. every place she stops into, if she sees rack cards have her put some of yours and make note in the notebook. and to replenish the supply in other places. i had rack cards in some far reaching places but rarely got to some of them ... like the state tourism booth on the highways and visitor centers in nearby 'hot' towns. the tiny airport in the next town had a self service place for cards, the ferries, some of the little shops i ventured into on a random day off - i'd see a rack card display and they were happy to have them if i took a few of their brochures, etc.
i can think of so many things an intern could do ...

You could have her some marketing research like set up Google alerts and read them all. You could also have her to a Google search for your inn and report what comes up. She could do cut and paste for you to see what comes up.
Riki

Okay here is my take. I had this offer and it was to fit her schedule which was from 3 to 4pm. I was excited at first, then thought, what the heck I have everything done by then and if I have to "mentor" someone from 3 to 4 it takes MY TIME and they should be paying ME for it. Anything I gave her at that point would be putting the burden on me right at check in time. I couldn't save cleaning tasks for check in time when guests are here. The show is supposed to be "ON" by the time they arrive.
So unless the intern is willing to work hard for the experience she gains, they it is a no go. You think, gee you should pay her for cleaning rooms. Well I clean them, it is not below me to clean them, an intern should start at the bottom rung before gaining access to business information and the FUN STUFF like marketing and operations.
Of course having to clean rooms when most kids are not even told to clean up after themselves these days and most did not even had chores growing up - will quickly make her tail spin out the door.
My 2 cents. Give it a shot, if you don't have to commit fully, as a test run.

Okay here is my take. I had this offer and it was to fit her schedule which was from 3 to 4pm. I was excited at first, then thought, what the heck I have everything done by then and if I have to "mentor" someone from 3 to 4 it takes MY TIME and they should be paying ME for it. Anything I gave her at that point would be putting the burden on me right at check in time. I couldn't save cleaning tasks for check in time when guests are here. The show is supposed to be "ON" by the time they arrive.
So unless the intern is willing to work hard for the experience she gains, they it is a no go. You think, gee you should pay her for cleaning rooms. Well I clean them, it is not below me to clean them, an intern should start at the bottom rung before gaining access to business information and the FUN STUFF like marketing and operations.
Of course having to clean rooms when most kids are not even told to clean up after themselves these days and most did not even had chores growing up - will quickly make her tail spin out the door.
My 2 cents. Give it a shot, if you don't have to commit fully, as a test run..
This is like all the phone calls I get at the start of the season...'I can arrange flowers and run your cocktail hour.' Yeah, right.
It would be great if the hours worked out such that this intern got to do it all. Especially if this is their only internship. Like me doing my internship for teaching. I was there for 4 months and the instructing teacher never taught a math or science lesson. So I had to learn how to do that and make up my own lessons based on what I remembered from grade school!

It doesn't sound like this intern is looking for a cleaning job. I certainly wouldn't be giving access to my books, but there are other things an intern could do for sure as others have mentioned in previous posts.
It is someone who perhaps can assist with marketing efforts which so many innkeepers put aside because there is no time to do it. It would be great if she could come up with some great strategies for the inn. Or perhaps the intern has web skills that could be utilized.
However, some cleaning and cooking responsibilities and guest interaction would be a good thing as well if it works out time wise.
I believe some here have said "she"....don't assume that. Could be a he and if so, maybe he would have some handy man skills to use at the inn:)

It doesn't sound like this intern is looking for a cleaning job. I certainly wouldn't be giving access to my books, but there are other things an intern could do for sure as others have mentioned in previous posts.
It is someone who perhaps can assist with marketing efforts which so many innkeepers put aside because there is no time to do it. It would be great if she could come up with some great strategies for the inn. Or perhaps the intern has web skills that could be utilized.
However, some cleaning and cooking responsibilities and guest interaction would be a good thing as well if it works out time wise.
I believe some here have said "she"....don't assume that. Could be a he and if so, maybe he would have some handy man skills to use at the inn:)
Right. Mine was a she. I was happy to have the offer. I guess for myself, I already have children that I tell ten times how to do something and am constantly teaching, and reteaching and pulling my hair out. So there would need to be an incentive, in other words, she would have to work for anything I gave away to her via training. People pay for this. :)

Right. Mine was a she. I was happy to have the offer. I guess for myself, I already have children that I tell ten times how to do something and am constantly teaching, and reteaching and pulling my hair out. So there would need to be an incentive, in other words, she would have to work for anything I gave away to her via training. People pay for this. :)
sorry..I read further and it is a she..I had just skimmed through the other posts.

Joey Bloggs said:
Okay here is my take. I had this offer and it was to fit her schedule which was from 3 to 4pm.
What the heck can you teach an intern about running a B&B for one hour? They are using you as a professor without paying you. To ME, and intern comes and works the whole aspect of a business from soup to nuts to gain a learning experience. Not just show up for one hour!
Riki

Joey Bloggs said:
Okay here is my take. I had this offer and it was to fit her schedule which was from 3 to 4pm.
What the heck can you teach an intern about running a B&B for one hour? They are using you as a professor without paying you. To ME, and intern comes and works the whole aspect of a business from soup to nuts to gain a learning experience. Not just show up for one hour!
Riki
I agree. I mean if it TRULY is an internship..it should be a full time committment. Just like we had to do for student teaching. You are out there in the classroom doing it all day in and day out. I never finished my hospitality degree because I could not do the internship.
I was working full time and my employer didn't take kindly to me leaving the job for 8 weeks to go to another job.
poke.gif

That was ok with me. I just wanted to do the course work. I guess internships today are different variations.

This is what they were doing at the local attorneys and courthouse as well I was told. I guess filing and research can be achieved an hour a day to get them started.
wink_smile.gif

I guess I'm lucky...she needs 150hrs by May so it works out to be about 7 hrs a week and her schedule is flexible. I've thought about using her help to get caught up on some deep cleaning projects that we can't get to when we're busy. End of the year filing and maybe if she's computer savvy getting some updating done on the website.
We'll see......We meet with her next week so I'll have a better idea of what she expects from us and what we can expect from her.

Joey Bloggs said:
Riki
I agree. I mean if it TRULY is an internship..it should be a full time committment. Just like we had to do for student teaching. You are out there in the classroom doing it all day in and day out. I never finished my hospitality degree because I could not do the internship.
I was working full time and my employer didn't take kindly to me leaving the job for 8 weeks to go to another job.
poke.gif

That was ok with me. I just wanted to do the course work. I guess internships today are different variations.
I did two different kinds of internship...one was the fulltime, everyday one and the other was supposed to be one hour/week strictly for observation. That one I ended up doing for one full day/week because I liked it so much. The problem that came up is we went to mandatory OT at my FT job so I was working 6 days at my real job and the 7th day at the school.
To accomplish the FT internship and to finish my degree, I took a leave of absence for a year from my job. I was down to my last mortgage payment in the bank when I went back to work. Phew! Kids were impressed tho. It left an impression that you can do whatever you want, under any circumstances, at any age if you put your mind to it.

Back