Has anyone noticed this trend in the under 30 crowd?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Kids these days! (Sorry I know I sound like my parents) I can't get them to eat anything nutritious. They hoard junk food in their rooms (donuts, doritos, red bull). They turn their noses up at eggs or quiche, no fruit .... they just eat crap! Is anyone else dealing with this rather frustrating situation?

I deal with it with my kids. My oldest is 22 and married with a kid and she still eats that way.....! No wonder why cancer and other diseases are running rampant with all the junk that is put into our bodies.

No. Will speak regional on this one. Certain areas eat different to each other - just like the city mouse vs the country mouse - the poor mouse vs the wealthy mouse, etc.
But look, in my own sibling group there are three daughters with their own families...each one eats and serves their families entirely different diets. From cheetos/doritos/msg/salt/starch and coke/dr pepper and sugar - to home cooked with veggies at each meal balanced and nutrition.
It is personal choice how people eat and treat their bodies. So no, I haven't noticed a trend at this B&B, but in the world as whole, YES.

also...one more thing...when you are not at home it is easier to eat snack foods, to travel with snack foods. Not making an excuse, but you do tend to eat more convenience/snack type foods when away. My Dad flew in and I have given him an apple and avocado just for a snack. He tends to only eat one big meal a day, so something for him to nibble on in between meals (he is not staying here)

I know what youre saying...I was actually referring to dealing with the issue as an Innkeeper who is currently wasting a lot of food.

Unfortunately that is a issue you have to deal with when you take children. Most children don't eat what is "normally" served in a B& B and for that matter..neither do their parents. They don't know how to cook these kinds of meals. I would ask ahead of time and also be sure they know what you are serving in advance. Just have some "fruit loops" handy along with milk and let them eat just their cereal for breakfast. As to what they have/ eat in their room..that is their business. If their parents allow them to eat junk..then so be it. It is not your worry.

I see it alot in my Gen Y guests. The guys do eat breakfast, gals often don't eat much, but always a TON of crappy junk food in their rooms.

I was just talking with the guests in question. I was informed that they don't eat vegetables or anything green for that matter. Very little fruit and absolutely no raisins.
Anyone have a good recipe for baked frenchtoast?

It's not really limited to a specific age group here...especially first timers really don't know what to expect so they bring their own stuff.

I'd have to say no. They are no more likely to skip brekkie than any other age group, altho they may drag in at 9:30 on the nose, one of them anyway, pleading that the other 'is on the way.'
I think some of them even appreciate that brekkie is made, is hot and is fresh. Maybe a yes on the fruit, tho. There does seem to be an aversion to 'plain fruit' not tarted up in any way.

I was just talking with the guests in question. I was informed that they don't eat vegetables or anything green for that matter. Very little fruit and absolutely no raisins.
Anyone have a good recipe for baked frenchtoast?.
Anyone have a good recipe for baked frenchtoast?
I think the baked pineapple toast recipe is in the recipes. It is an excellent baked french toast. Easy to do and it should appeal to the junk foodies because it is sweet.

I personally do not think a junk food eater/picky eater would like baked french toast. I am not super fond of it myself, and not super fond of ultra sweet breakfasts anyway.

I'm just over from the thread discussing food sensitivities... now why can't people who don't want breakfast let you know ahead of time? Mind you, if they did that they would likely want a discount. I'm surprised by this thread, though. My 16-yeaqr old hardly eats breakfast at home, but loves breakfast when we're at B&Bs!

If you are new remember "Breakfast is complimentary" so there is no discount if they don't wish to eat it one morning. :) Like at a Holiday Inn - you can walk to the lobby to grab a bagel or muffin or not, they don't discount your stay for not eating. B and the second B comes with the first. B&B. I know these threads sound harsh - when you get them back to back to back it wears thin. Most guests are delightful! But there is nothing worthy of chatting about them on the forum.

I'm just over from the thread discussing food sensitivities... now why can't people who don't want breakfast let you know ahead of time? Mind you, if they did that they would likely want a discount. I'm surprised by this thread, though. My 16-yeaqr old hardly eats breakfast at home, but loves breakfast when we're at B&Bs!.
SeaWave said:
I'm just over from the thread discussing food sensitivities... now why can't people who don't want breakfast let you know ahead of time? Mind you, if they did that they would likely want a discount.
You figure that one out and people will pay you money!
Here are some scenarios:
  • They just don't think it's an issue because they thought they were going to 'order' brekkie and it's all in the kitchen anyway so what's the big deal? (A lot of guests don't understand we have to get up and MAKE the breakfast hours before they get up.)
  • They had a really big, late dinner and really were going to eat but now just can't. (This is especially true of guests who have been on the road for awhile. They just CAN'T eat another thing right now!)
  • They were at a wedding and are now hungover.
  • They 'hooked up' at the wedding and aren't interested in food.
  • They were never going to eat in the first place but thought you'd be insulted if they said that.
  • They really did oversleep.
  • They broke something in their room and want to get out before you find out.
  • They didn't want to disturb you last night to tell you and now they're walking out the door with their suitcases while you stand in the kitchen looking at all that food you're gonna have to eat on your own.
  • They are treating this like a hotel. You wouldn't tell the front desk clerk you weren't going to eat brekkie, why tell me?
Glad your son likes to eat!

If you are new remember "Breakfast is complimentary" so there is no discount if they don't wish to eat it one morning. :) Like at a Holiday Inn - you can walk to the lobby to grab a bagel or muffin or not, they don't discount your stay for not eating. B and the second B comes with the first. B&B. I know these threads sound harsh - when you get them back to back to back it wears thin. Most guests are delightful! But there is nothing worthy of chatting about them on the forum..
And then you get the guests who, when they find out you won't be discounting for the second B that they don't want, will cancel their rez to stay at a hotel! Where they will pay MORE but they won't pay for brekkie they don't want. Go figure!

If you are new remember "Breakfast is complimentary" so there is no discount if they don't wish to eat it one morning. :) Like at a Holiday Inn - you can walk to the lobby to grab a bagel or muffin or not, they don't discount your stay for not eating. B and the second B comes with the first. B&B. I know these threads sound harsh - when you get them back to back to back it wears thin. Most guests are delightful! But there is nothing worthy of chatting about them on the forum..
And then you get the guests who, when they find out you won't be discounting for the second B that they don't want, will cancel their rez to stay at a hotel! Where they will pay MORE but they won't pay for brekkie they don't want. Go figure!
Which really explains the answer to the question: because they are GUESTS!
They figure it's their party and they can do what they want to, even if it leaves the innkeeper scratching her head wondering what just happened.

They figure it's their party and they can do what they want to, even if it leaves the innkeeper scratching her head wondering what just happened.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Well, OK. I write a huge list and what is really the answer is...because they're guests. Aw c'mon. That takes all the fun out of kvetching! Anything can be answered like that. I might as well just go do something constructive instead of hanging out here!
wink_smile.gif

Speaking of which...boxes of Christmas decor going to the attic...NOW! I've been saying that for 3 days.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Well, OK. I write a huge list and what is really the answer is...because they're guests. Aw c'mon. That takes all the fun out of kvetching! Anything can be answered like that. I might as well just go do something constructive instead of hanging out here!
wink_smile.gif

Speaking of which...boxes of Christmas decor going to the attic...NOW! I've been saying that for 3 days.
Surely NOW can be avoided a few more days. No better time than the present to procrastinate when the alternative is a trip to the attic...

Innkeeper To Go said:
wink_smile.gif

Surely NOW can be avoided a few more days. No better time than the present to procrastinate when the alternative is a trip to the attic...
Had to get it done before Gomez got home. It's time to strip wallpaper tomorrow so all the decor had to be out of the way!
Truth be told, I got it up one flight of stairs into the guest room that has the door to the attic. I'll take it the rest of the way when I remember it's there!

Back