Hate it when all the rooms know each other

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a similar situation here a few weeks ago. As individuals and couples they were all great, but as a whole group they were terrible. They left their belongings all over the house, were very needy, and ate every single snack we put out for them, and then came looking for more. They also stayed up until the wee hours of the morning and then left me waiting for over an hour to serve them breakfast the next day. I will not be booking groups again for a while..
Oh I can so relate... We're already trying to think of reasons to tell people why we won't rent the whole house to them as a group.
Baygirl said:
Oh I can so relate... We're already trying to think of reasons to tell people why we won't rent the whole house to them as a group.
I had a message for this last night "What deal can you give us" and all I could think of was this thread! I will call them today. Usually when I say 30 day cancellation policy and payment in advance they shy away... most are only "thinking" of doing this. She said for a wedding next July. So prob would be only one nighters at that!
What I find focuses the mind is a non refundable depsit 6 weeks ahead for large groups - makes them make sure of numbers well ahead of time as well as if they cancel its a nice bonus!

The situation is, for me, right now, who the heck knows what will be going on in July of next year. As others have mentioned filling up with indiv rooms is better, only in the winter months do I think it would be okay, when things are leaner and guests are fewer... These people plan in advance, and then cancel. We have all had it happen a dozen times.
One person in charge who gets the bill makes it better as the responsibility is always on that one person, and keeps the rest in tow.

Normally when a group wants to rent the house we change our 14 day cancellation policy to a 30 day. Always run a 50% deposit, we add a $500.00 security fee that is run a week before they arrive and is fully refundable after they have checked out when all rooms have been inspected. We have a list of guidelines that they have to sign and we make it clear if they break any rules on the policy that their $500. is forfeited. This includes bringing people here that aren't registered!
Unfortunately with this last group we had in they all made the reservations seperately so we couldn't use our plan above. I'm trying to figure out how to work that in if this happens again, which I'm sure it will.
I'm feeling a lot better today now that the black cloud has checked out of the house!!! I can breath again..............

The situation is, for me, right now, who the heck knows what will be going on in July of next year. As others have mentioned filling up with indiv rooms is better, only in the winter months do I think it would be okay, when things are leaner and guests are fewer... These people plan in advance, and then cancel. We have all had it happen a dozen times.
One person in charge who gets the bill makes it better as the responsibility is always on that one person, and keeps the rest in tow..
I had a lot of whole house groups cancel. Seems like they'd shop around and make the reservations well in advance. For me, they'd find a better deal at a hotel and cancel within the group cancellation policy timeframe. Which still stunk because those rooms had been out of inventory for awhile and then I'd have all of them to fill.
I had a couple of small groups (3 rooms) that were OK...I could put them in our second house and they could open the entire house to move around and it was fine. Groups that took over both houses or that were in the 3 rooms in our main house, not so good. We've talked many times about how the mentality changes with groups.
Even with strict group policies, I was not a fan of groups....

One person in charge who gets the bill makes it better as the responsibility is always on that one person, and keeps the rest in tow..
I had a lot of whole house groups cancel. Seems like they'd shop around and make the reservations well in advance. For me, they'd find a better deal at a hotel and cancel within the group cancellation policy timeframe. Which still stunk because those rooms had been out of inventory for awhile and then I'd have all of them to fill.
I had a couple of small groups (3 rooms) that were OK...I could put them in our second house and they could open the entire house to move around and it was fine. Groups that took over both houses or that were in the 3 rooms in our main house, not so good. We've talked many times about how the mentality changes with groups.
Even with strict group policies, I was not a fan of groups....
I agree...It doesn't relieve any stress or anxiety on us (before they arrive and while they're here) just because they signed a contract.

Normally when a group wants to rent the house we change our 14 day cancellation policy to a 30 day. Always run a 50% deposit, we add a $500.00 security fee that is run a week before they arrive and is fully refundable after they have checked out when all rooms have been inspected. We have a list of guidelines that they have to sign and we make it clear if they break any rules on the policy that their $500. is forfeited. This includes bringing people here that aren't registered!
Unfortunately with this last group we had in they all made the reservations seperately so we couldn't use our plan above. I'm trying to figure out how to work that in if this happens again, which I'm sure it will.
I'm feeling a lot better today now that the black cloud has checked out of the house!!! I can breath again...............
I haven't ever had a security deposit but I do expand the cancellation to 30 days even if they all book separately. But, you do have to know they're all together, don't you. And that can be a problem. We've had reservations come in one at a time but after a couple you start to suspect- they're all from the same small town in Belgium? What are the chances they are NOT together!

I'm feeling a lot better today now that the black cloud has checked out of the house!!! I can breath again...............
I haven't ever had a security deposit but I do expand the cancellation to 30 days even if they all book separately. But, you do have to know they're all together, don't you. And that can be a problem. We've had reservations come in one at a time but after a couple you start to suspect- they're all from the same small town in Belgium? What are the chances they are NOT together!
The security deposit is something we just starting doing the end of last year. After yet another obnoxious group was here. We made it fully refundable, but I think or hope it puts a little scare in to them and makes them be a little more aware of the property and what goes on while they're here. Otherwise they're out $500.00 It gives me a litte satisfaction, but like I said does not eliminate by any means the anxiety and stress.

Baygirl said:
You could offer some sort of discount if they book as a group, then the coordination would be up to them and you get your requisite deposits.
The other, more sucky way, would be to ask every person making a reservation if they are part of a group staying together.

Back