Hate it when all the rooms know each other

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
OK... We've got about 6 weeks left of the season so my patience is getting thin! We had a family come and rent all the rooms. Hate it when they all know each other. On a few seperate occasions before they arrived we advised them that no other outsiders are to come and hang out here, our place is for the guests only, not the party gathering house. They said they understood... NOT
Had to go down last night around 10 and be the B*tch and confront them. Asked them how many extra people were here because we had cars parked on our lawn! Grrrrrr Only 6 they said. Then they had the nerve to say we thought it was OK if we kept it under 30. Are you serious????? I told them we never said that and that the other people would have to leave. I could feel the daggers being thrown at me as I left the common area and comments being made of the outsiders.. oh we better go, they don't want us here! Damn right we don't.
So I come back in my living area, for some reason I felt bad that I had to do be the heavy, but it's our house too. It was getting loud and we certainly didn't appreciate cars on our lawn. Was dreading this morning for fear of attitudes, but it's like nothing happened. All good mornings and it's a beautiful day!
I will let this pass, but had to vent...... I wish there was a way to get around not being able to rent all the rooms to people who know each other.
Thanks for listening.... Have a good day!

We've had the same problem with locals renting our river cottages and trying to invite the whole town out to enjoy our location and "party facilities". That kind of thing never turns out well and has to be shut down, just as you did. Good for you!

I completely agree! When they all know each other they seem to think rules don’t apply or even common courtesy and they rule the place. For me they often ask for discounts for booking all the rooms and it tends to be way more work when they all know each other.
Glad breakfast went well! How long will they be staying?

The only guests we have ever had that abused our hospitatit or home were the locals I felt sorry for last year while their house was repaired from a fire.
We have had all 3 rooms with same family or friends and no problems. We thoroughly enjoyed the sisters who called back & forth between rooms just like when they were kids. They were having a ball and we were smiling that they were - HOWEVER it was not after the hours everyone should be quiet either - it was when they were getting ready to go to the family event.
Then there were the 2 couple who had a PJ party while they watched movies - all 4 of them in (thankfully) the Gillum Room bed. It is the only bed strong enough for that load (since DH fixed it).

kiplingmeg said:
I completely agree! When they all know each other they seem to think rules don’t apply or even common courtesy and they rule the place. For me they often ask for discounts for booking all the rooms and it tends to be way more work when they all know each other.
It's absolutely more work, and they tend to consume more of what ever consumables you offer, like cookies, sodas in the refrigerator, etc.
When they ask for a discount for booking the whole house, tell them no, you're actually going to need to charge them more, and tell them why!

Sorry to hear it baygirl! I have a notice I put up if I have an inclination of this happening "NO UNREGISTERED GUESTS IN GUEST AREAS" I have it in the foyer desk. And they will need to rent the space if they think they are using it for their own party.
But guess what, they will be gone soon and will be replaced by guests who appreciate everything and won't take it all for granted. Hang in there!

Glad breakfast went well! How long will they be staying?.
They are staying 3 days total. One more night to go. We get people asking for discounts all the time if they take all the rooms. In the off season we probably would, in the summer we tell we'll be full whether they are here or not. They think they're doing us a favor by taking all the rooms. Hardly.... I agree, it's more work, more garbage, clean up and stress.

kiplingmeg said:
It's absolutely more work, and they tend to consume more of what ever consumables you offer, like cookies, sodas in the refrigerator, etc.
When they ask for a discount for booking the whole house, tell them no, you're actually going to need to charge them more, and tell them why!.
I have certainly thought about it charging more, it would confuse a guest I am sure! Wonder why that is... that they will consume more, its like a strength in numbers kind of thing ?

Just say "Sorry, We do not rent to groups without a surcharge of 20%. " No explaination needed. If they persist tell them it is your policy based on industry standards...sort of like the automatic gratuity charged in restuarants for larger groups. If they don't like it they won't make the reservation.

Just say "Sorry, We do not rent to groups without a surcharge of 20%. " No explaination needed. If they persist tell them it is your policy based on industry standards...sort of like the automatic gratuity charged in restuarants for larger groups. If they don't like it they won't make the reservation..
I like that idea.... Just went in to the guest fridge in the library...Red wine spilled all over ... One of the mothers...oh just leave it and I'll clean it up when I get back. Are you serious??? Oh tomorrow can't come soon enough...

yea i know how you feel baygirl-we've had that problem too we had a wedding party here one night and then they decidethat they need the rooms longer than check out-hubbie dealth with that then there was the catered dinner party-they had a chartered plane (nough said about that) and took over the Inn way longer the next day cause the kids graduation from a prep school was delayed because of thunderstorms-they were all PITAs that thought they were entitled to do whatever they wanted. In retrospect there have been groups that were absolutely lovely, but the needy ones always ruin it for the nice ones...hope you make it through to tomorrow.

yea i know how you feel baygirl-we've had that problem too we had a wedding party here one night and then they decidethat they need the rooms longer than check out-hubbie dealth with that then there was the catered dinner party-they had a chartered plane (nough said about that) and took over the Inn way longer the next day cause the kids graduation from a prep school was delayed because of thunderstorms-they were all PITAs that thought they were entitled to do whatever they wanted. In retrospect there have been groups that were absolutely lovely, but the needy ones always ruin it for the nice ones...hope you make it through to tomorrow..
Thanks Birdwatcher... Yes we've had some nice groups in too. It is always stressful before any of the groups arrive and for the most part when it's all said and done it goes well. It's groups like this one as to why we have the STRESS before arrival.

We had that this weekend. Worst guests we've had since taking over. I could write a huge page full of everythinn that went on this weekend. Biggest thing was I caught the eldest dad eating OUR snacks in the dark in the kitchen - we had walked away from a snack break to take care of a walk-in. Couldn't believe my eyes
wow.gif

It seems that they spent much more time in common area, hallways, in each other's rooms and felt like it was their house. Children running around screaming & playing.... no more breaking the rules for anyone. All kids before them were great. These people were atrochious! Just like someone else said - they thought that throwing around money made up for all the special requests, mess and noise... NOPE - totally not worth it!!!

i quite liked it when i had a full house booking ... IF they were all here from far away with no local folks to hook up with.
boating groups, bicycling groups ... they all ate together, were not bothered by one another's schedule, they were fun.
but people who bring other guests in and tried to treat the place like a party house were a nightmare. they should have rented one of the houses in the area specifically set up for that. they would have probably had to share more bedrooms instead of each being private but they could have had all the people in within the terms of their rental agreement.

We had a similar situation here a few weeks ago. As individuals and couples they were all great, but as a whole group they were terrible. They left their belongings all over the house, were very needy, and ate every single snack we put out for them, and then came looking for more. They also stayed up until the wee hours of the morning and then left me waiting for over an hour to serve them breakfast the next day. I will not be booking groups again for a while.

We had a similar situation here a few weeks ago. As individuals and couples they were all great, but as a whole group they were terrible. They left their belongings all over the house, were very needy, and ate every single snack we put out for them, and then came looking for more. They also stayed up until the wee hours of the morning and then left me waiting for over an hour to serve them breakfast the next day. I will not be booking groups again for a while..
Oh I can so relate... We're already trying to think of reasons to tell people why we won't rent the whole house to them as a group.

We had a similar situation here a few weeks ago. As individuals and couples they were all great, but as a whole group they were terrible. They left their belongings all over the house, were very needy, and ate every single snack we put out for them, and then came looking for more. They also stayed up until the wee hours of the morning and then left me waiting for over an hour to serve them breakfast the next day. I will not be booking groups again for a while..
Oh I can so relate... We're already trying to think of reasons to tell people why we won't rent the whole house to them as a group.
Baygirl said:
I had a message for this last night "What deal can you give us" and all I could think of was this thread! I will call them today. Usually when I say 30 day cancellation policy and payment in advance they shy away... most are only "thinking" of doing this. She said for a wedding next July. So prob would be only one nighters at that!

Baygirl said:
I had a message for this last night "What deal can you give us" and all I could think of was this thread! I will call them today. Usually when I say 30 day cancellation policy and payment in advance they shy away... most are only "thinking" of doing this. She said for a wedding next July. So prob would be only one nighters at that!
Joey Bloggs said:
Baygirl said:
We fall into this so many times in a year. We agree to a full house, regret it, but live to tell the tale.

You have to have a different set of rules for large groups. It's like wrangling a small wedding. The herd mentality is different from that of couples or individuals.
Country Girl said:
They left their belongings all over the house
Have a large cardboard box that becomes a centralized "lost and found". Collect their crap and throw into the box.
Country Girl said:
...were very needy, and ate every single snack we put out for them, and then came looking for more.
Hint: For large groups, don't leave out snacks. They usually bring their own anyway.
Country Girl said:
They also stayed up until the wee hours of the morning...
Lay the law down in your policies then again as each group arrives. Have consequences for infractions.
Country Girl said:
... then left me waiting for over an hour to serve them breakfast the next day.
For large groups, have a set time for breakfast. Give them a 30 minute window, then pack it up.

Back