Hats At the Table

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
What do you do when someone comes to the table wearing a baseball hat. Do you just let it go or do you say something, considering that others fine it rude.

I cannot say anything as DH wears his Alpine-type hat when he leaves the house and does not remove it until he returns (except for National Anthem, Pledge of Allegience, or church) mainly because there is no place to put it that he will not forget it. So far I have not had the ball cap at breakfast problem.

Ahhhh rudeness. International rudeness. Hats on at the table. Tablets at the table. Cell phones at the table. Misbehaving kids. Clearing plates too soon. Clearing plates not soon enough. Elbows on the tables. Slurping. Using the wrong fork for the wrong course. Not putting their napkin in their laps. One of the many things I learned is that I am not the manners police. Hey, we may be a 4 star place, but we get 1 star people...
Do you have a place for him (I am assuming a 'him'- although we used to have have 'hers' who would wear ballcaps at the table) to set it. A rack of some sort? "Would you like to put your hat on our hat rack while you eat?" "

There is so much more for me to worry about (like Penelope's list) that I can't worry about bald guys trying to make everyone think they're not by gluing a ball cap to their heads.
Yes, it's rude but most of the other guests get that it's the ball cap wearer who is rude. Altho, the flip side is those really nice guests who think the place has taken a downward turn if they see that too often. (Like the guy in the sleeveless undershirt sitting on my front porch with a 6 pack. Cringe.)

Ahhhh rudeness. International rudeness. Hats on at the table. Tablets at the table. Cell phones at the table. Misbehaving kids. Clearing plates too soon. Clearing plates not soon enough. Elbows on the tables. Slurping. Using the wrong fork for the wrong course. Not putting their napkin in their laps. One of the many things I learned is that I am not the manners police. Hey, we may be a 4 star place, but we get 1 star people...
Do you have a place for him (I am assuming a 'him'- although we used to have have 'hers' who would wear ballcaps at the table) to set it. A rack of some sort? "Would you like to put your hat on our hat rack while you eat?" ".
I agree. We are not the manners police. If they are not damaging our property or causing a ruckas, then they can act rudely all they want to. They pay, and they go.

There is so much more for me to worry about (like Penelope's list) that I can't worry about bald guys trying to make everyone think they're not by gluing a ball cap to their heads.
Yes, it's rude but most of the other guests get that it's the ball cap wearer who is rude. Altho, the flip side is those really nice guests who think the place has taken a downward turn if they see that too often. (Like the guy in the sleeveless undershirt sitting on my front porch with a 6 pack. Cringe.).
Madeleine said:
Yes, it's rude but most of the other guests get that it's the ball cap wearer who is rude. Altho, the flip side is those really nice guests who think the place has taken a downward turn if they see that too often. (Like the guy in the sleeveless undershirt sitting on my front porch with a 6 pack. Cringe.)
Probably bald, give the guy a break.
Having a bad hair day, give the guy a break.
Has a big ol' zit on his forehead, give the guy a break.
Likes hats, give the guy a break.
:)

Do you have a place for him (I am assuming a 'him'- although we used to have have 'hers' who would wear ballcaps at the table) to set it. A rack of some sort? "Would you like to put your hat on our hat rack while you eat?" ".
Penelope said:
Hey, we may be a 4 star place, but we get 1 star people...
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Yes, it's rude but most of the other guests get that it's the ball cap wearer who is rude. Altho, the flip side is those really nice guests who think the place has taken a downward turn if they see that too often. (Like the guy in the sleeveless undershirt sitting on my front porch with a 6 pack. Cringe.).
Madeleine said:
Both him and her and they were off after breakfast, so I'm going with bad hair day.

Madeleine said:
Both him and her and they were off after breakfast, so I'm going with bad hair day.
Team hats? Isn't every major league winter sport in playoffs right now?

Madeleine said:
Team hats? Isn't every major league winter sport in playoffs right now?
Yesterday, yes. Today, no.

Ballcaps are standard uniform in my area. We've not seen them at breakfast yet, but won't be surprised when we do.

We have as many women wearing ballcaps as men. The men take them off, if I'm remembering right, but women usually leave theirs on...bad hair day.

We have as many women wearing ballcaps as men. The men take them off, if I'm remembering right, but women usually leave theirs on...bad hair day..
I think the tradition is that only men have to.

I consider baseball hats worn at the table to be "okay." but not ideal. It is perhaps a little more old fashioned etiquette, but still good practice. I think younger folks today may not think much of hats being an issue, but it's respectful to remove, of course.

Back