'Haunted' guest room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bree, that's a nice picture of the chairs. just back up and take it from on the bed showing some of the bed. throw something colorful on a chair, a mug of coffee and some books on the table (if allowed?) any chance you have a table that's a little wider and a little lower for that spot, just for the picture? get out your digital and just take shots all over the room and see what you come up with.
can we see the pic that someone else took that you love?
in your description, highlight that KING size bed ... guests seem to love king size beds.
we all have our own taste in decorating and i've never grasped or really tried to 'get' feng shui ... and i'm sure i'd make you nuts with how i'd set up the room. don't worry about the a/c ... guests must appreciate that you have it! focus on what is great about the room.

well, the fog reference is just an idea -- i'm searching for the why of the guest reaction. in the room description, you can tell why the room is named (named for so and so fogg - the first owner of the inn or whatever)
you don't HAVE to show the whole bed or the whole room in a picture. how about you sit on the bed, with a red scarf or throw diagonal on the foot of the bed (yes, here i go with yellow and red again) and you take a pic of the rockers showing the edge of the foot of the bed and focus a little closer on those rocking chairs? and since you have photoshop, use the lighten and or brighten feature to bring more light into the picture.
p.s. i can help you paint the headboard if it was something you want to do.
wink_smile.gif
again, just trying to see through guest eyes.
pps halloween is just around the corner. run a promo - is the fogg room haunted?

Same corner, different shot.
2ndshot.JPG
do you have a table cloth for the table - floor length? also, if you have a floor lamp or wall lamp- that would open up that table for a tea or coffee service for 2 with a small vase of flowers or something for the guests to draw them to sit there. I love those chairs! and the AC from that picture is not as bad... could be the angle of the shot... the light is much better in that picture, too

The thing I notice (which is probably also beyond your abilities) is the odd direction the door swings. It seems to me that it should swing into the wall instead. You end up with this cramped little box that you have to step out of to get into the room. If it opened the other way I think it would dramatically change the feel of the room when you open the door.
I couldn't change the swing of a door myself, but I have a great contractor who could. If it were my room, I'd definitely have him do it!
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
The thing I notice (which is probably also beyond your abilities) is the odd direction the door swings. It seems to me that it should swing into the wall instead. You end up with this cramped little box that you have to step out of to get into the room. If it opened the other way I think it would dramatically change the feel of the room when you open the door.
I couldn't change the swing of a door myself, but I have a great contractor who could. If it were my room, I'd definitely have him do it!
=)
Kk.
That is most bizarre, I have not seen a door swing into a room when there is a wall there, in fact, in newer homes I am sure it is a code violation. This room had to have been altered, but the light switch is there. Sounds like local sparkies around here - instead of fixing the door they run the electrical to the other side.

2ndshot.JPG
Bree said:
I like this shot with the rockers showing the wallpaper and carpet and light from the windows. Now on THAT note I would be more inclined to book the room than I prev said, as I SEE the two lovely windows with all that morning light!
That just made all the difference to me as a guest.

Call me silly, but I think the issue is quite likely that the room is the first one listed. It's either missed as people scroll down, or dismissed because people are predisposed to reject the first offer. Your detached bath gets better bookings, and it's at the bottom of the list -- the finale, as it were. "It must be great. The best is always saved for last, and, ooh, look! It's not the most expensive!!!"
On the other hand, I agree with YS. The door swing struck me as funny, too. Add to that the angle of the picture and the dresser niche, and it looks like the room is tiny and carved out of another room possibly so the the only thing that fits is the bed. Perhaps a picture from the door, across the end of the bed toward the chairs, without focusing completely on the chairs to show there is more space there..
So, I should move the cheap room back to the top and make more money?
wink_smile.gif

Oh come on now..you are just creating an issue here. It all has to do with photos and how to make the room look more appealing. I agree with many of the others here.
To me...those rockers do not look comfortable. I have one just like it and I never sit in it. It needs some nice cushy cushions on it and the table has no appeal. Too hard. How about a nice round table with a long table skirt, some flowers on the table, a lamp etc....cozy it up a bit:)
I know you don't want to be stripping off wallpaper but for me..it is so dark it seems to close the room in. I would get rid of it.

Dh said it is easy to move the light switch, just go up through the ceiling over the door jam and down. He said it would you for an electrician about $100-200. He said he will do it for free for lodging. Now if only gas was free or you lived closer!

Oh come on now..you are just creating an issue here. It all has to do with photos and how to make the room look more appealing. I agree with many of the others here.
To me...those rockers do not look comfortable. I have one just like it and I never sit in it. It needs some nice cushy cushions on it and the table has no appeal. Too hard. How about a nice round table with a long table skirt, some flowers on the table, a lamp etc....cozy it up a bit:)
I know you don't want to be stripping off wallpaper but for me..it is so dark it seems to close the room in. I would get rid of it..
I don't 'do' round. I'm a square person.
wink_smile.gif
Plus, I would only ever put a table skirt in for the photo. That sucker would be in the wash everyday with this crowd. You should see the doilies some mornings! Funny thing is, that's the prettiest wallpaper in the house. I LIKE that wallpaper, whereas I hate most of the rest of it!
Yes, the pictures are awful, that I know.
New pix coming today if I have time and the sun gods don't blot the whole thing out. Problem with taking the pix now is that I've put a full length mirror on the wall opposite the A/C unit and that throws all kinds of odd reflections around the room. So, I'd have to take that down, hang a picture and holy cow this is a full day project!

Dh said it is easy to move the light switch, just go up through the ceiling over the door jam and down. He said it would you for an electrician about $100-200. He said he will do it for free for lodging. Now if only gas was free or you lived closer!.
It's $50 for the permit and then however much for the electrician. Then it's having enough wallpaper to repair any errors and to fix the hole left behind by that switch. And going thru the ceiling and thru the studs and the lathe and the plaster. Can you tell I mentioned moving the switches to hubs?
I agree wholeheartedly that it makes more sense to change it out than the struggle with the floorplan forever.
Maybe when the electrician comes out to put in the outlet in the other hallway I'll have him price that out and hope for the best. The last time he was here his son drilled a hole thru the baseboard in a bedroom when he was supposed to be going into the kitchen. THAT has to be repaired this winter when I paint those baseboards.
I guess what I really need to do is add to my list that I should expand the rooms page to 7 separate pages with more photos...

Dh said it is easy to move the light switch, just go up through the ceiling over the door jam and down. He said it would you for an electrician about $100-200. He said he will do it for free for lodging. Now if only gas was free or you lived closer!.
It's $50 for the permit and then however much for the electrician. Then it's having enough wallpaper to repair any errors and to fix the hole left behind by that switch. And going thru the ceiling and thru the studs and the lathe and the plaster. Can you tell I mentioned moving the switches to hubs?
I agree wholeheartedly that it makes more sense to change it out than the struggle with the floorplan forever.
Maybe when the electrician comes out to put in the outlet in the other hallway I'll have him price that out and hope for the best. The last time he was here his son drilled a hole thru the baseboard in a bedroom when he was supposed to be going into the kitchen. THAT has to be repaired this winter when I paint those baseboards.
I guess what I really need to do is add to my list that I should expand the rooms page to 7 separate pages with more photos...
Bree said:
Permit? what the! DH just said an electrician would not take out a permit to move a switch. That is more time and more $ wasted.
You don't patch the wall paper you can just put a plate over it - a blank one, then put your wall paper over it, wrap it.
Okay end of discussion. Just trying to help. Instead of blaming a poor ghost.
confused_smile.gif
(I need a ghost smiley dude to insert here)

Bree said:
Permit? what the! DH just said an electrician would not take out a permit to move a switch. That is more time and more $ wasted.
You don't patch the wall paper you can just put a plate over it - a blank one, then put your wall paper over it, wrap it.
confused_smile.gif
:ghost: : ghost :
:chef: : chef :
:poke: : poke :
:roll: : roll :

I would check about the permit, I've never heard of needing one to move a switch either...by the way the new shot of the chairs is way better and the AC unit is not hideous, i think people would be glad to know it's there! How many people call to make sure you have it? Well there's the proof, it's not bad...pillows on the chairs and it looks nice and bright and cheery...i agree, table cloth on the table and lamp off of table will open it up.

I know you don't want to be stripping off wallpaper but for me..it is so dark it seems to close the room in. I would get rid of it..
I don't 'do' round. I'm a square person.
wink_smile.gif
Plus, I would only ever put a table skirt in for the photo. That sucker would be in the wash everyday with this crowd. You should see the doilies some mornings! Funny thing is, that's the prettiest wallpaper in the house. I LIKE that wallpaper, whereas I hate most of the rest of it!
Yes, the pictures are awful, that I know.
New pix coming today if I have time and the sun gods don't blot the whole thing out. Problem with taking the pix now is that I've put a full length mirror on the wall opposite the A/C unit and that throws all kinds of odd reflections around the room. So, I'd have to take that down, hang a picture and holy cow this is a full day project!
Well something else there. It just looks like a TV tray..not real sturdy. Add some stuff to "set a stage" then take it away:)

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
Where are you getting all these cute emoticons????? How can I get them???

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
OK...being a fan of emoticons, I'm going to be needing a list.
lightbulb.gif
haha! these are great! Especially poke (which I couldn't make work)
cry_smile.gif
Thanks, Swirt
regular_smile.gif

Bree, Bree, Bree...my friend...
I love ya
heart.gif
but I'm getting frustrated about some of your replies and resistance to taking the advice of all these other pairs of eyes here. This room is obviously not large & dominated by a King size bed and an awkward door entrance and too many walls in a small space. Stop worrying about the major changes & listen to Catlady. Get rid of the visuals that make the room look less appealing. Here's what I would do for the shot:
  1. Turn down the patterned quilt and stage the bed to get rid of the distraction of the 2 patterns.
  2. Move the trash can, move the bedside table, take down the white circle thing on the wall (what is it?)
  3. Move yourself around so that you are not catching the corner of the bathroom wall when you shoot the bed
  4. If you take another shot of the seating area to put up also - add some soft surfaces to the rockers, a throw and/or some pillows & I would put the little white table there in the other one's place with an open book on it or coffee mug or vase of flowers. There's too much hard brown surface. Like SS says it could look more cozy. I would move the rockers slightly and catch just a glimmer of them maybe with the windows which are great as JBJ says. (I'll try and post of photo of something similar to what I'm talking about there.)
med_Frisco8.jpg

Bree, Bree, Bree...my friend...
I love ya
heart.gif
but I'm getting frustrated about some of your replies and resistance to taking the advice of all these other pairs of eyes here. This room is obviously not large & dominated by a King size bed and an awkward door entrance and too many walls in a small space. Stop worrying about the major changes & listen to Catlady. Get rid of the visuals that make the room look less appealing. Here's what I would do for the shot:
  1. Turn down the patterned quilt and stage the bed to get rid of the distraction of the 2 patterns.
  2. Move the trash can, move the bedside table, take down the white circle thing on the wall (what is it?)
  3. Move yourself around so that you are not catching the corner of the bathroom wall when you shoot the bed
  4. If you take another shot of the seating area to put up also - add some soft surfaces to the rockers, a throw and/or some pillows & I would put the little white table there in the other one's place with an open book on it or coffee mug or vase of flowers. There's too much hard brown surface. Like SS says it could look more cozy. I would move the rockers slightly and catch just a glimmer of them maybe with the windows which are great as JBJ says. (I'll try and post of photo of something similar to what I'm talking about there.)
med_Frisco8.jpg

I know I am dragging my heels here and nixing everything. Part of the problem is the room IS small. No matter where I move I get something in the pic that makes the whole thing look wrong. None of these rooms were built to hold king beds or 2 beds for that matter. Picture 'my' room at your place. Now, pull the walls on either side of the bed in about 3' each and you see what I'm dealing with! You open the door, you hit the nightstand on the right. You trip out of bed and you are going out that window. The space between the left side of the bed and the wall is the width of the nightstand, 12" (which is a plant stand because a nightstand wouldn't fit). And there's a baseboard radiator running the length of the wall, take out 4" more for that.
OK, I'm off to see what stuff I have lying around that I can use to take the pix...I'll trade out the quilt for a matelasse cover that is off white.
I'm not arguing, I really like all the advice! It's just I'm no decorator.
The whole room has a quilt theme so the wall 'art' is all quilt stuff.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
The town requires the permit. And, again, I'm not arguing here, just stating fact. If the electrician does the work without the permit and we have the town out here for anything else we get fined. We had to have the permit to move an outlet 2' from the baseboard to counter height. The town also will not let us do the work even tho it's ok to do your own electrical on your own house in this state. Because I could possibly cause injury to others with shoddy work, the town inspects the electrical work (which is why the $50 fee, for the inspector to come out).
It was easier blaming the :ghost:

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
OK...being a fan of emoticons, I'm going to be needing a list.
lightbulb.gif
haha! these are great! Especially poke (which I couldn't make work)
cry_smile.gif
Thanks, Swirt
regular_smile.gif

No spaces between the colons... :poke: not : poke :

Back