'Haunted' guest room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dh said it is easy to move the light switch, just go up through the ceiling over the door jam and down. He said it would you for an electrician about $100-200. He said he will do it for free for lodging. Now if only gas was free or you lived closer!.
It's $50 for the permit and then however much for the electrician. Then it's having enough wallpaper to repair any errors and to fix the hole left behind by that switch. And going thru the ceiling and thru the studs and the lathe and the plaster. Can you tell I mentioned moving the switches to hubs?
I agree wholeheartedly that it makes more sense to change it out than the struggle with the floorplan forever.
Maybe when the electrician comes out to put in the outlet in the other hallway I'll have him price that out and hope for the best. The last time he was here his son drilled a hole thru the baseboard in a bedroom when he was supposed to be going into the kitchen. THAT has to be repaired this winter when I paint those baseboards.
I guess what I really need to do is add to my list that I should expand the rooms page to 7 separate pages with more photos...
Bree said:
It's $50 for the permit and then however much for the electrician. Then it's having enough wallpaper to repair any errors and to fix the hole left behind by that switch. And going thru the ceiling and thru the studs and the lathe and the plaster. Can you tell I mentioned moving the switches to hubs?
I agree wholeheartedly that it makes more sense to change it out than the struggle with the floorplan forever.
Maybe when the electrician comes out to put in the outlet in the other hallway I'll have him price that out and hope for the best. The last time he was here his son drilled a hole thru the baseboard in a bedroom when he was supposed to be going into the kitchen. THAT has to be repaired this winter when I paint those baseboards.
I guess what I really need to do is add to my list that I should expand the rooms page to 7 separate pages with more photos...
Permit? what the! DH just said an electrician would not take out a permit to move a switch. That is more time and more $ wasted.
You don't patch the wall paper you can just put a plate over it - a blank one, then put your wall paper over it, wrap it.
Okay end of discussion. Just trying to help. Instead of blaming a poor ghost.
confused_smile.gif
(I need a ghost smiley dude to insert here)
:ghost: : ghost :
:chef: : chef :
:poke: : poke :
:roll: : roll :
OK...being a fan of emoticons, I'm going to be needing a list.
lightbulb.gif
haha! these are great! Especially poke (which I couldn't make work)
cry_smile.gif
Thanks, Swirt
regular_smile.gif

No spaces between the colons... :poke: not : poke :
Did that the first time & it didn't work....I swear. :poke:

Dh said it is easy to move the light switch, just go up through the ceiling over the door jam and down. He said it would you for an electrician about $100-200. He said he will do it for free for lodging. Now if only gas was free or you lived closer!.
Bree, Bree, Bree...my friend...
I love ya
heart.gif
but I'm getting frustrated about some of your replies and resistance to taking the advice of all these other pairs of eyes here. This room is obviously not large & dominated by a King size bed and an awkward door entrance and too many walls in a small space. Stop worrying about the major changes & listen to Catlady. Get rid of the visuals that make the room look less appealing. Here's what I would do for the shot:
  1. Turn down the patterned quilt and stage the bed to get rid of the distraction of the 2 patterns.
  2. Move the trash can, move the bedside table, take down the white circle thing on the wall (what is it?)
  3. Move yourself around so that you are not catching the corner of the bathroom wall when you shoot the bed
  4. If you take another shot of the seating area to put up also - add some soft surfaces to the rockers, a throw and/or some pillows & I would put the little white table there in the other one's place with an open book on it or coffee mug or vase of flowers. There's too much hard brown surface. Like SS says it could look more cozy. I would move the rockers slightly and catch just a glimmer of them maybe with the windows which are great as JBJ says. (I'll try and post of photo of something similar to what I'm talking about there.)
med_Frisco8.jpg

I know I am dragging my heels here and nixing everything. Part of the problem is the room IS small. No matter where I move I get something in the pic that makes the whole thing look wrong. None of these rooms were built to hold king beds or 2 beds for that matter. Picture 'my' room at your place. Now, pull the walls on either side of the bed in about 3' each and you see what I'm dealing with! You open the door, you hit the nightstand on the right. You trip out of bed and you are going out that window. The space between the left side of the bed and the wall is the width of the nightstand, 12" (which is a plant stand because a nightstand wouldn't fit). And there's a baseboard radiator running the length of the wall, take out 4" more for that.
OK, I'm off to see what stuff I have lying around that I can use to take the pix...I'll trade out the quilt for a matelasse cover that is off white.
I'm not arguing, I really like all the advice! It's just I'm no decorator.
The whole room has a quilt theme so the wall 'art' is all quilt stuff.
Well, try moving some of that stuff out of the way for the photo shots and see what happens. It's cheaper than the other options discussed! You can do it!

I love ya
heart.gif
but I'm getting frustrated about some of your replies and resistance to taking the advice of all these other pairs of eyes here. This room is obviously not large & dominated by a King size bed and an awkward door entrance and too many walls in a small space. Stop worrying about the major changes & listen to Catlady. Get rid of the visuals that make the room look less appealing. Here's what I would do for the shot:
  1. Turn down the patterned quilt and stage the bed to get rid of the distraction of the 2 patterns.
  2. Move the trash can, move the bedside table, take down the white circle thing on the wall (what is it?)
  3. Move yourself around so that you are not catching the corner of the bathroom wall when you shoot the bed
  4. If you take another shot of the seating area to put up also - add some soft surfaces to the rockers, a throw and/or some pillows & I would put the little white table there in the other one's place with an open book on it or coffee mug or vase of flowers. There's too much hard brown surface. Like SS says it could look more cozy. I would move the rockers slightly and catch just a glimmer of them maybe with the windows which are great as JBJ says. (I'll try and post of photo of something similar to what I'm talking about there.)
med_Frisco8.jpg

I know I am dragging my heels here and nixing everything. Part of the problem is the room IS small. No matter where I move I get something in the pic that makes the whole thing look wrong. None of these rooms were built to hold king beds or 2 beds for that matter. Picture 'my' room at your place. Now, pull the walls on either side of the bed in about 3' each and you see what I'm dealing with! You open the door, you hit the nightstand on the right. You trip out of bed and you are going out that window. The space between the left side of the bed and the wall is the width of the nightstand, 12" (which is a plant stand because a nightstand wouldn't fit). And there's a baseboard radiator running the length of the wall, take out 4" more for that.
OK, I'm off to see what stuff I have lying around that I can use to take the pix...I'll trade out the quilt for a matelasse cover that is off white.
Well, try moving some of that stuff out of the way for the photo shots and see what happens. It's cheaper than the other options discussed! You can do it!
See new thread...please comment. I can move a round table in there if you think it would work better. But, it's wicker so not good for putting drinking glasses down on.

Bree said:
Permit? what the! DH just said an electrician would not take out a permit to move a switch. That is more time and more $ wasted.
You don't patch the wall paper you can just put a plate over it - a blank one, then put your wall paper over it, wrap it.
confused_smile.gif
Where are you getting all these cute emoticons????? How can I get them???
I just got them to show up in the actual smiley picker, but the script for the smiley picker is one that gets stuck in cache. So hit ctrl-F5 to force your browser to grab the latest version. Then they should show up in the smiley picker. (let me know if they don't)

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
I just got them to show up in the actual smiley picker, but the script for the smiley picker is one that gets stuck in cache. So hit ctrl-F5 to force your browser to grab the latest version. Then they should show up in the smiley picker. (let me know if they don't)
SORRY NOT SHOWING UP ANYWHERE...I AM IN FIREFOX..does that make a difference. I still only have the original ones.
Ok I am now in IE and they show up. So a quirk with FIREFOX ...I have 8
help.gif

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
SORRY NOT SHOWING UP ANYWHERE...I AM IN FIREFOX..does that make a difference. I still only have the original ones.
help.gif

I'm on firefox, they work fine for me. Maybe we have different versions?

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

I have the latest version which I downloaded last week. 3.01 I believe and I see only the orginal ones..not the new animated ones with it.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
swirt said:
Thanks, that worked for me.
The FAQ's have been updated with a list as well (at the bottom...).
=)
Kk.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

Firefox is just still caching the old smiley page. It will grab the new one eventually.

I love ya
heart.gif
med_Frisco8.jpg

See new thread...please comment. I can move a round table in there if you think it would work better. But, it's wicker so not good for putting drinking glasses down on.
Good job! Now how many other rooms are you going to re-shoot?? haha! I would do a similar thing in your other room that features 2 rockers :)

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

I have the latest version which I downloaded last week. 3.01 I believe and I see only the orginal ones..not the new animated ones with it.
catlady said:
It just clicked over to grab the new emoticons for me today.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

Firefox is just still caching the old smiley page. It will grab the new one eventually.
I clear my cache regularly and it still hasn't caught them. We'll see
tounge_smile.gif
..not yet today. Maybe I have some settings on that prevent it?????

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

tounge_smile.gif
catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
poke.gif

welcome.gif

pita.gif

smileystooges.gif

help.gif

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

tounge_smile.gif
catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
poke.gif

welcome.gif

pita.gif

smileystooges.gif

help.gif

Yeah I see them!!! I just can't get them in my Firefox. I can in IE..but I am not switching to IE
kiss.gif

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

tounge_smile.gif
catlady said:
tounge_smile.gif
poke.gif

welcome.gif

pita.gif

smileystooges.gif

help.gif

Yeah I see them!!! I just can't get them in my Firefox. I can in IE..but I am not switching to IE
kiss.gif

catlady said:
kiss.gif
I am in firefox right now.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
help.gif

tounge_smile.gif
You shouldn't have to do it. F5 should do it, but If you have the web developer toolbar extension installed you can disable cache which will make it grab the new version. Then you can turn the cache back on. This collection of tools is very handy for developers, especially the css tools.
Here is another option Open Firefox and type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the location bar. Find the setting for browser.cache.check_doc_frequency. Right click on this and choose modify from the popup menu. Change the value to 1 and the browser will now check for a new version of the page on every page load.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
swirt said:
Thanks, that worked for me.
The FAQ's have been updated with a list as well (at the bottom...).
=)
Kk.
Thanks for updating the FAQ's :)

Bree,
I've been thinking about this and I don't know why you'd really want to change this room, I mean...you're not looking at the bright side:
It's ONE LESS ROOM TO CLEAN!
cheers.gif
HA!

Back