Have a Good Overnight Sweet Roll Recipie?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I have been trying out overnight doughs.. They all seem to take too long to rise in the morning. I don't have enough fridge space to let them rise there. I heat the oven slightly, turn it off leave the light on and cover them with a damp tea towel. ( I form 1 1/2" balls, flatten in the center an fill with either fruit filling or a cinnamon nut mix. Brush with butter and sprinkle sides w sugar when they come out.) Tasty, but takes too long in the morning. Is there something better to do?

Overnight Caramel Rolls
2 Loaves (1 lb ea.) frozen bread dough (thaw in fridge overnight)
½ c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon
¾ c. melted butter
1 pkg. (3 5/8 oz.) cook n’serve butterscotch pudding
½ c. packed brown sugar.
Grease a 12c. Bundt pan. Cut each loaf of dough into 8 pieces. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip each piece of dough into butter and then into cinnamon/sugar mixture and stand upright in the Bundt pan. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon/sugar over rolls and then sprinkle dry pudding over them. Stir brown sugar into remaining butter and pour over rolls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
In the morning, remove from fridge and let stand at room temp for about 30 minutes.
Bake 325 for 40 minutes. I then flip the rolls into a big bowl (catches the glaze that has settled to the bottom of the Bundt pan).

Aussie Inn I used to make those all the time. Funny my grandmother told me her mother used to make them too. She thought it was pretty cool that I was like her Mother. I took that as a compliment. I have not made them for years, now that I make that orange marmalade coffee cake. White Pine let me find that recipe as you can use frozen biscuits or even refrigerator biscuits...hang on.
I use pecans and brown sugar and cinnamon, you can make them however you wish. The marmalade is mild and give them a nice glaze.
Here tis (I make this for a large table or two)
http://abloggablelife.typepad.com/recipes/2010/08/serving-up-sunshine-recipe-orange-marmalade-coffee-cake.html

Try the Gillum House Roll recipe on here. this does the first raise for you in the fridge. In the morning take off what you need, brush with your butter and add your whatever filling, roll up and cut into cinnamon roll sizes. If you set it on top of the stove covered while you make the rest of the breakfast. Set up the oven temp to about 425 and bake for 15 min. This should not take too much time. A batch of these rolls will keep for several days if you keep the towel damp. I find they raise in about 15 to 20 minutes.

I am pasting this from my recipe file...so get ready for those circle thingy's that always seem to show up. Anyway, this is a delicious, homemade dough that works well as a coffee ring or rolls. No kneeding involved, you can let it rise in the refrigerator over night and put it together in the morning. If I am short on time in the morning, I make it during the day and serve, warm in the morning. It is REALLY GOOD!
Cranberry Breakfast Rings

Makes 2 rings

1. In large bowl combine: 2. Heat until warm:
2 pkg dry yeast (5 teas) 1 cup milk
11/4 cups flour 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cups sugar 1/4 cup water
1 teas salt

3. Add warm milk/butter to dry ingredients and beat until smooth

4. Add and beat until mixed: 5. Stir in:
2 eggs, beaten 11/2-2 cups flour
11/4 cup flour 1 teas lemon rind

6. Cover and refrigerate until ready to shape rings. (Overnight works well)

7. To make rings, divide in half. For each ring, roll into 14x7-inch rectangle on floured surface. Spread 4 Tbs soft butter on dough and then half of cranberry sauce. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Roll up and seal edges, placing in circle on greased sheet. Cut slits 2/3 way through at 1-inch intervals. Cover and rise (1 hour). Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes (check for browning). Frost if desired.

[h1]Fillings[/h1]
For 2 Cranberry rings:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
1 can cranberry sauce (drained) plus 1 orange peel grated
Or 14 oz jar orange-cranberry sauce
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
2 teas cinnamon

Cinnamon Rolls (For entire recipe):
2 Tb soft butter
2 teas cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar, white or brown

Or use entire recipe to make only one ring with Swedish tea ring filling:
2 Tb soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
2 teas cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts

Thanks all! You have given me some great stuff to try. I am thinking my kitchen is too cold in the morning. Oh and JB I remember seeing the marmalade recipie before.... I love orange marm! Maybe I need a warming tray to set the dough on in the am.

I am pasting this from my recipe file...so get ready for those circle thingy's that always seem to show up. Anyway, this is a delicious, homemade dough that works well as a coffee ring or rolls. No kneeding involved, you can let it rise in the refrigerator over night and put it together in the morning. If I am short on time in the morning, I make it during the day and serve, warm in the morning. It is REALLY GOOD!
Cranberry Breakfast Rings

Makes 2 rings

1. In large bowl combine: 2. Heat until warm:
2 pkg dry yeast (5 teas) 1 cup milk
11/4 cups flour 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cups sugar 1/4 cup water
1 teas salt

3. Add warm milk/butter to dry ingredients and beat until smooth

4. Add and beat until mixed: 5. Stir in:
2 eggs, beaten 11/2-2 cups flour
11/4 cup flour 1 teas lemon rind

6. Cover and refrigerate until ready to shape rings. (Overnight works well)

7. To make rings, divide in half. For each ring, roll into 14x7-inch rectangle on floured surface. Spread 4 Tbs soft butter on dough and then half of cranberry sauce. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Roll up and seal edges, placing in circle on greased sheet. Cut slits 2/3 way through at 1-inch intervals. Cover and rise (1 hour). Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes (check for browning). Frost if desired.

[h1]Fillings[/h1]
For 2 Cranberry rings:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
1 can cranberry sauce (drained) plus 1 orange peel grated
Or 14 oz jar orange-cranberry sauce
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
2 teas cinnamon

Cinnamon Rolls (For entire recipe):
2 Tb soft butter
2 teas cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar, white or brown

Or use entire recipe to make only one ring with Swedish tea ring filling:
2 Tb soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
2 teas cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts.
Thanks, will def try this. I had been playing with cranberry sauce after thanksgiving, but could never make it work as I thought. Love cranberries,

Thanks all! You have given me some great stuff to try. I am thinking my kitchen is too cold in the morning. Oh and JB I remember seeing the marmalade recipie before.... I love orange marm! Maybe I need a warming tray to set the dough on in the am..
Try a heating pad under the bowl in your kitchen or nearby.

I seem to remember a receipe for "mini-monkey bread" on this forum. I know DW has used it several times and I know it's easy...but she would have to chime in, because that's not in my purview.

I just took a local call. Bless their heart.
She asked "Do you serve breakfast to people who don't stay there? We are looking at your website and it is really neat and we just didn't know if you could have breakfast without staying overnight?"
What part of BED and breakfast don't you get.
In my usual way I told her I would love to make them breakfast, after they stayed in one of our rooms.
chef.gif

Local calls, they never pan out, ever.

Thanks all! You have given me some great stuff to try. I am thinking my kitchen is too cold in the morning. Oh and JB I remember seeing the marmalade recipie before.... I love orange marm! Maybe I need a warming tray to set the dough on in the am..
I read this somewhere. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like it works.
turn your dryer on low for just a couple of minutes. Stop it. place your covered bowel with dough in dryer and leave it there.

I have to be careful when I put my English muffin bread on top of the stove with the oven on - it faises too much and overflows the pans. If there is too much heat under the pan it will dry it out/start cooking it. It really does not take a LOT of heat to raise things. My kitchen is COLD (former back porch with no insulation anywhere) so I give things an extra 15 to 20 minutes to raise in winter, in summer 15 minutes is all it needs.

Try a heating pad under the bowl in your kitchen or nearby.
Oooh, Love this idea. Lodge kitchen is cold, with 10' ceilings it is slow to warm. This would work!!! Thanks!

She asked "Do you serve breakfast to people who don't stay there? We are looking at your website and it is really neat and we just didn't know if you could have breakfast without staying overnight?"
In my usual way I told her I would love to make them breakfast, after they stayed in one of our rooms.
chef.gif

Local calls, they never pan out, ever..
"Pan out"? Were you trying to get a "rise" out of me? Local calls are my yeast favorite.....
smileystooges.gif

chef.gif

Local calls, they never pan out, ever..
Seriously? " Against stupidity the gods themselves are impotent"--ancient greek inscription.

My microwave is a great proofing box. I set a mug of hot water in the corner, put in the loaf pan, close door and let rise.

Back