Have a little coffee with your cream!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, last night I went around setting up for breakfast. I put out the 'mini moos' on each table (about 7-10 packs each in 3 glass 'creamers') and then I have 2 big creamers that each hold about 15 of the mini moos pks that I have with the coffee set up.
I just did a walk-thru before check-in and ALL of the 5 creamers were empty with the exception of one of them that had 2 lonesome little pks left. So, quickly doing the math, that means that between, say 4PM yesterday and 9 AM today, ONE couple used 50 of those little mini moos. Yowza!

I was innsitting recently and had the same thing happen. The cream just kept disappearing. And it wasn't Mini-Moos, it was in a pitcher.
Finally, when one of the Tunisian guests who were staying at the inn complained that the milk wasn't hot, I realized what was happening.
They were trying to make cafe au lait and each cup of coffee that they poured had an equal amount of cream. Of course, since the cream wasn't hot, the coffee kept getting too cool for them to drink.
So they just kept making more. They went through 2 pitchers of cream in the process!

I was innsitting recently and had the same thing happen. The cream just kept disappearing. And it wasn't Mini-Moos, it was in a pitcher.
Finally, when one of the Tunisian guests who were staying at the inn complained that the milk wasn't hot, I realized what was happening.
They were trying to make cafe au lait and each cup of coffee that they poured had an equal amount of cream. Of course, since the cream wasn't hot, the coffee kept getting too cool for them to drink.
So they just kept making more. They went through 2 pitchers of cream in the process!.
Yep, I have found that European people like their cream at least room temp. I always try to keep cream in the fridge till the last minute, but am starting to rethink that method lately - what are your thoughts?
PS. I have no idea where Tunisian guests are from (if they are European or not) I wasn't great at geography or world history!

So they just kept making more. They went through 2 pitchers of cream in the process!.
The mini moos are room temp. I don't think it was that so much as they just had a lot of coffee and needed a lot of cream. Most of the sugar was gone as well. Certain kind but each sugar bowl had those packs missing.
I did find a lot of the empty creamer pks in the trash.

Yep, I have found that European people like their cream at least room temp. I always try to keep cream in the fridge till the last minute, but am starting to rethink that method lately - what are your thoughts?
PS. I have no idea where Tunisian guests are from (if they are European or not) I wasn't great at geography or world history!
Tunisia is actually in North Africa. On the Mediterranean. Lovely country although the beaches have been severely overdeveloped. Think Cancun. A shame though there are still some quiet spots, if you avoid the tourist areas.
My thoughts on the cream are to do what makes sense with the guests you have. Most Americans want the cream chilled and that's who most guests will be. So chilled.
But for these guests, I offered to warm them some milk and that worked wonders for everyone - and left some of the remaining cream for guests for the rest of the week!

The mini moos are room temp. I don't think it was that so much as they just had a lot of coffee and needed a lot of cream. Most of the sugar was gone as well. Certain kind but each sugar bowl had those packs missing.
No empty mini-moos tho?! I hope you put regular cream out for breakfast in a pitcher!

Maybe they were making hot chocolate with it?

Tunisia is actually in North Africa. On the Mediterranean. Lovely country although the beaches have been severely overdeveloped. Think Cancun. A shame though there are still some quiet spots, if you avoid the tourist areas.
My thoughts on the cream are to do what makes sense with the guests you have. Most Americans want the cream chilled and that's who most guests will be. So chilled.
But for these guests, I offered to warm them some milk and that worked wonders for everyone - and left some of the remaining cream for guests for the rest of the week!
Nice - I just got back from Cancun - Akumal actually! Had a great HOT time, and am now back in the snow mode! Boo-hoo!

No empty mini-moos tho?! I hope you put regular cream out for breakfast in a pitcher!
suellen222 said:
I just use the mini moos. It's far easier on me than trying to refill pitchers all during brekkie or having to throw out pints of cream after brekkie when no one uses it.

Nice - I just got back from Cancun - Akumal actually! Had a great HOT time, and am now back in the snow mode! Boo-hoo!
The beaches of Tunisia are for Europeans what Cancun is for Americans: a cheap and warm spot for a winter holiday!

Some people just use tons of creamer. I find this from time to time. That's what it's there for! People really like half and half here....they rarely use the mini moos unless they have come down for early coffee before I've gotten the creamer out.
When I've had European travelers, they generally prefer milk to half and half in either their coffee or tea. When I was in the UK recently, they left pretty large milk pitchers on the tables for coffee and tea, both in tea shops that I went to and our hotel for breakfast. They don't worry about the temp there. There were separate pitchers of chilled milk for cereal in the hotel buffet line.

Some people just use tons of creamer. I find this from time to time. That's what it's there for! People really like half and half here....they rarely use the mini moos unless they have come down for early coffee before I've gotten the creamer out.
When I've had European travelers, they generally prefer milk to half and half in either their coffee or tea. When I was in the UK recently, they left pretty large milk pitchers on the tables for coffee and tea, both in tea shops that I went to and our hotel for breakfast. They don't worry about the temp there. There were separate pitchers of chilled milk for cereal in the hotel buffet line..
They don't worry about the temp because most of their milk that is left out is ultra pasteurized, like the mini moos. 'Closet milk' as my kids called it after my daughter returned from studying in France. Poor daughter was dying for cold milk, host family was cringing at request. C'est la vie!

guilty.
i like a little coffee with my cream.
so i would use a lot of mini moos. sorry.

I've made a note in their 'permanent record'
wink_smile.gif
and will have a pint of half & half in the fridge for them for next time. Also will have a big carafe with coffee as well. I guess they were up all night drinking coffee.

guilty.
so i would use a lot of mini moos. sorry..
You wouldn't use 50 overnight would you?
Morticia said:
well ... those minimoos are pretty small. but no.
do you think it's possible they used them on cereal they had with them? i had guests do that ... use the half and half for cereal .... and one guest left behind a half full 'cereal cream' which was something i had never known existed.

guilty.
so i would use a lot of mini moos. sorry..
Morticia said:
well ... those minimoos are pretty small. but no.
do you think it's possible they used them on cereal they had with them? i had guests do that ... use the half and half for cereal .... and one guest left behind a half full 'cereal cream' which was something i had never known existed.
Nope, they used the milk for that.

Back