Have Guests push "1" for reservations.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbid

Reaction score
Because we own and operate several Inns, I have 3 different phone numbers that all forward to my cell phone. That means 3 times the credit card processors and others calling me every day. I take an average of 15 sales calls a day. My phone system will allow a quick screen that I would immediately say, “ For reservations, please press 1”. There would be no other options. This would eliminate all the robot calls but be an inconvenience for my guests. Would it be too much of an inconvenience? A side not, if I get 3 sales calls in a row, I might not sound very friendly to the next call until I find it is a potential guest.

Bigbid said:
...we own and operate several Inns...
So, as inns go, you are a big operation.
Bigbid said:
My phone system will allow a quick screen that I would immediately say, “ For reservations, please press 1”.
And this makes you SOUND like a big operation. I don't see a big problem with that, though it may not be the feel of what some B&B regulars are looking for, and it will sound very unusual to have that step with no other options.
You could always try it a while and see how it goes without a lot of problem to the overall picture.

I wouldn't mind that as long as someone answered when I pressed 1. I would at least know I was getting the right place even if it was the only place to get.
Yes, it would stop the robo calls that can't press 1. It should also allow 'speak 1' not just press.
Why not have a 'press 2' option to get 'business accounting office' and just have that go nowhere? Then the marketers who don't want to make a rez will press 2 and get hung up on. Your number will go back into rotation but chances you get the same person are slim to none.
Have the 'press 1' be 'reservations and all guest inquiries' in case someone has made a rez and just needs info. Otherwise they might press 2 and be cut off.

I wouldn't mind that as long as someone answered when I pressed 1. I would at least know I was getting the right place even if it was the only place to get.
Yes, it would stop the robo calls that can't press 1. It should also allow 'speak 1' not just press.
Why not have a 'press 2' option to get 'business accounting office' and just have that go nowhere? Then the marketers who don't want to make a rez will press 2 and get hung up on. Your number will go back into rotation but chances you get the same person are slim to none.
Have the 'press 1' be 'reservations and all guest inquiries' in case someone has made a rez and just needs info. Otherwise they might press 2 and be cut off..
Good suggestion to have a second option go nowhere. Thanks. Thinking about it, I could say any sales calls press 3 and then have a recording of Yoko Ono's greatest hits on a loop.

Id do it - if you are being hassled on a sales call that might be customers who can't get through - get rid of them!

Have the 'press 1' be 'reservations and all guest inquiries' in case someone has made a rez and just needs info. Otherwise they might press 2 and be cut off..
Good suggestion to have a second option go nowhere. Thanks. Thinking about it, I could say any sales calls press 3 and then have a recording of Yoko Ono's greatest hits on a loop.
Or forward it to 1-877-382-4357 (The FTC phone number for complaints on business practices.)

if i call you and press '1', will you answer (usually) or will i get voicemail? if you are able to answer ... if i understand correctly ... i would totally do it! press '2' for business office going to voicemail? i would still check those other messages, just in case someone goofs and wants to make a reservation.

if i call you and press '1', will you answer (usually) or will i get voicemail? if you are able to answer ... if i understand correctly ... i would totally do it! press '2' for business office going to voicemail? i would still check those other messages, just in case someone goofs and wants to make a reservation..
seashanty said:
if i call you and press '1', will you answer (usually) or will i get voicemail? if you are able to answer ... if i understand correctly ... i would totally do it! press '2' for business office going to voicemail? i would still check those other messages, just in case someone goofs and wants to make a reservation.
My vision of the 'press 2' is that the caller gets hung up on because they are not a guest calling to make a reservation or speak to someone about 'guest info'. If the caller gets hung up on as a guest they might call back and press 1 like they were told. ;-)

I feel bad for telephone solicitors, I really do. Because they must get hung up on and yelled a lot of the time. Not a job I want.
And now I will soon have to make calls to local businesses on behalf of a church I work for, asking if they want to donate a gc or item for our raffle calendar. ugh!

I feel bad for telephone solicitors, I really do. Because they must get hung up on and yelled a lot of the time. Not a job I want.
And now I will soon have to make calls to local businesses on behalf of a church I work for, asking if they want to donate a gc or item for our raffle calendar. ugh!.
Oh I feel for you. I could never make calls like that. I was even a lousy cookie mom for girl scouts.

Back