Have you been asked for rates by the day rather than overnight?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Do you charge differently? I get this question every once in a while and I sure I'm not the only one.
Do you have a special tete a tete fee for those who spend the day and depart without spending the night or having breakfast? I knock $35 off the regular room rate, because its still a flip, just no food.

Uh no. Guests who want to stay past check out or come back anduse their room to shower after running a marathon or triathalon. They can book it two nights to have it two.
Breakfast is complimentary. Take it or leave it, no cost to the guest.
wink_smile.gif

I have been asked but do not do this. Most of my reguests have been wanting to arrive early in the AM wanting to spend the day and no decisive departure time. This just will not work for me.

I've been asked for reduced rates because they'll only be there for 6 hours and aren't going to wait for breakfast. (Still staying 'overnight' tho.) Because it's just as much cleaning and breakfast doesn't cost that much, I don't take anything off the price. Now if you can get the room flipped to rerent it for a 'regular' tourist you can decide what you think is a fair price.

By the day??? what kind of place do they think you run there? I sure wouldn't want to get a reputation for doing that....what about by the hour??
devil_smile.gif

By the day??? what kind of place do they think you run there? I sure wouldn't want to get a reputation for doing that....what about by the hour??
devil_smile.gif
catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
I know it sounds seedy, doesn't it?
I got a call yesterday from a couple with a new baby. They weren't comfortable leaving the baby overnight, but found a sitter for the day. They said they just needed some 'away time'...from 3 to 10 PM. ( guess this is when they could get a sitter for)?

devil_smile.gif
catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
I got a call yesterday from a couple with a new baby. They weren't comfortable leaving the baby overnight, but found a sitter for the day. They said they just needed some 'away time'...from 3 to 10 PM. ( guess this is when they could get a sitter for)?
The Farmers Daughter said:
Yes, most sisters are kids that have to go home at night.
We got asked about hourly/day rate for a photographer that doesn't have his own studio.
=)
Kk.

devil_smile.gif
catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
We got asked about hourly/day rate for a photographer that doesn't have his own studio.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
21057.gif
21057.gif
21057.gif
21057.gif

Well, lol.....that's another thing altogether!

devil_smile.gif
catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Sheesh what kind of photos is he wanting to take?

devil_smile.gif
catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Joe Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
roflmao! I think we all know the answer to that....;)
Maybe he wants to make her a 'star'! (nod... nod...wink...wink)

devil_smile.gif
catlady said:
devil_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Joe Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
Yes, most sitters are kids that have to go home at night.
=)
Kk.
He did a photo shoot for a bride. He had a female assistant with him who did hair and makeup, and he brought a white backdrop which he set up in front of the desk. They also did some shots by windows, etc.... was looking for a "classic Hollywood" setting, lace curtains and rich colors. Oh, and the bride brought a girl friend with her, also to help with outfits, etc. While he was banished from the room he wandered around taking other photos.
=)
Kk.

I hear ya. I just never heard it called and hourly rate. LOL I have them call and request to do a photo shoot and can they pay me something for it.

OK - is this a NEW TREND??? Are they thinking they will get a special deal or something?
I just hung up with my second such call just this week!! The woman said 'we would like to check in around 10AM and stay through early evening, we won't be spending the night' When I told her check in is not until 3PM her reply " Oh is that how it works, I've never stayed in that kind of place before!"
What the
potty-mouth.gif
kind of place does she think a B&B is??? This must have been a rendezvous and she thinks we are THAT kind of place!!!! NOT

OK - is this a NEW TREND??? Are they thinking they will get a special deal or something?
I just hung up with my second such call just this week!! The woman said 'we would like to check in around 10AM and stay through early evening, we won't be spending the night' When I told her check in is not until 3PM her reply " Oh is that how it works, I've never stayed in that kind of place before!"
What the
potty-mouth.gif
kind of place does she think a B&B is??? This must have been a rendezvous and she thinks we are THAT kind of place!!!! NOT.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
Can you imagine the potential headache of spliting your calendar into hour by hour increments instead of the way it is now?
Nearly every town of any substiantial size has its seedy motel for that "hourly" purpose.
Talk about a mini-vacation. LOL
"Hey honey, let's get away for some R&R, and still be back home for dinner"
This is in my opinion one of the consequences of the blurring of the lines between motels, hotels and B&Bs by the big travel consolidators like Expedia. The more the public doesn't see distinct differences, the more they assume we're like anybody else.

Uh no. Guests who want to stay past check out or come back anduse their room to shower after running a marathon or triathalon. They can book it two nights to have it two.
Breakfast is complimentary. Take it or leave it, no cost to the guest.
wink_smile.gif
I so agree with that.
Sometimes we have guests who want to check in at 6 am - excuse me, if I provide that room for you at 6 am that means no one can use it the night before, right? That will cost you and you can move in any time you please, sir
smileystooges.gif

Long answer short, I would also charge for 2 nights.

What the
potty-mouth.gif
kind of place does she think a B&B is??? This must have been a rendezvous and she thinks we are THAT kind of place!!!! NOT.
Can you imagine the potential headache of spliting your calendar into hour by hour increments instead of the way it is now?
Nearly every town of any substiantial size has its seedy motel for that "hourly" purpose.
This is in my opinion one of the consequences of the blurring of the lines between motels, hotels and B&Bs by the big travel consolidators like Expedia. The more the public doesn't see distinct differences, the more they assume we're like anybody else.
We use sites like Expedia and Hotels.com to pull attention to ourselves.....we use our natural charm and skills to SHOW them the difference. I find it to be a very happy tradeoff and have never had a problem with the "type" of guests I've seen from the big consolidators. But then again, I don't think of them or treat them any differently than any other type of guest either.

What the
potty-mouth.gif
We use sites like Expedia and Hotels.com to pull attention to ourselves.....we use our natural charm and skills to SHOW them the difference. I find it to be a very happy tradeoff and have never had a problem with the "type" of guests I've seen from the big consolidators. But then again, I don't think of them or treat them any differently than any other type of guest either.
Little Blue said:
Us too... kind of hard to beat the exposure power that those two afford and the nice thing is you don't pay a cent in commission unless or until someone books through them. The number of folks who probably find a place via those systems but still book directly is probably pretty substantial.
The showing them the difference doesn't occur until they get here though and for a few previously never stayed at a B&B guests booked via those two, it can take a little bit of effort to clarify the distinctions.

I think people are just losing it anymore. Another 8 o'clock call last night. This is becoming a pattern I don't like.
Okay, this is just getting weird. Another one tonight and I couldn't even understand what he was asking me.
I think people are lumping us together with motels. The only experience I can related it to is a road trip in college. We never booked anything in advance. Just played it by ear. We would drive until it started to get dark and then would begin looking for a motel.
To answer your question Tim. No, I don't need that kind of business.

keep in mind, this was a very small harbor village with only my place and little hotel.
poor guy was driving something like 6 hours to be in a friend's wedding on a friday eve. i was a little nervous about it but decided to give it a try. told him if he didn't remove his belongings when he left to go to the wedding, i'd assume he was staying over and it would be the full room rate. he agreed.
it worked out fine. the man arrived, (before our usual checkin time of 3 but at 1 by prior arrangement) got himself ready, put what he changed out of into his car and went off. that was it. i charged him $35. to use the room for a few hours to rest up, shower, shave, dress, have a cup of coffee and some cookies. he was happy, i was happy. i went up and cleaned the room at about 5 pm. he used every towel ... but that's okay. and he left a $5 tip
6:30, we had a walk in which i was able to accomodate because i'd cleaned the room.
i debated about doing it but i knew there was nothing sketchy about his request.

Back