Have you ever asked guests to leave your B&B/inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I'm prompted to ask this after the other thread about ignorant and flippant guests who have caused significant damage to a guest room and it's the innkeeper who is afraid of a bad review! And the inconsiderate hot tub guests who were creating racket into the wee hours of the morning are idjits, too!
Should guests be allowed to get away with whatever they want to without being asked to leave?
If you asked guests to leave, can you relate the circumstances and how you handled it?
If you wanted to ask guests to leave, but were afraid of some kind of repercussions from that, are you willing to relate what happened?
Who is the "enforcer" in your B&B "management team"?
I had only one instance of damage that was discovered after the guest left and I did 2 things wrong: 1) It was a 3rd party booking and I didn't have the actual guests' credit card for damages, and 2) I didn't have the damage wording on my check-in registration form which requires a signature on arrival. I made some changes.

One of the advantages of being in Podunk is that I have never had the "Guest from Hell". But IF he shows up, I am the enforcer and I will not hesitate to call on our City Police Dept to assist should it be necessary. No one is going to mess up my house! I do not have the problem of bothering neighbors with noise either - I have parking lots on 3 sides (one is the funeral home) - oops, as I was thinking about it, I DO have one neighbor behind us and quite close.

Altho I know we qualified for the PITA award several years running, we have never asked anyone to leave. We have considered it. We've debated it. Even tho Gomez would be the enforcer (because he's bigger than I am and he's also less likely to lose his cool) I would be right there, phone in hand in case things got ugly.
At the point in time where we felt it was in everyone's best interests to ask the guests to leave, repercussions would be confined to what could happen at that moment, not down the road. Would they destroy the room? Make other guests uncomfortable? That sort of thing. Chargebacks & reviews would not enter into it.
I think our list would be fairly short...drunken, loud, obnoxious behavior and excessive damage. We are also thinking about just plain old boorish behavior as well. Sneering at us, that sort of thing. Altho we have risen above that quite a few times in 6 years, there are times we wonder why we should 'turn the other cheek'.

I have personally ejected one solo guest in our 4 years here. She insisted that we had treated her rudely (specifically DH) and she wanted an apology. He told her he was very sorry if she thought he had treated her rudely, he had not meant to and was just in a hurry as he was handling the entire house by himself (as I was at the hospital after two family members were in a terrible car accicent, bringing them home).
She was a repugnant little woman, and said she didn't feel DH was being sincere in his apology, and as she was scheduled to stay for several more nights she thought she was entitled to a discount.
I promptly told her we would be happy to refund all of her money and that she should leave immediately. She didn't want to leave, she just wanted a discount. If someone had really treated you badly would a measly $10 off suddenly make it all better? I realized what I was dealing with walked to the phone and started to dial 911 to have the cops eject her. She finally relented and went and packed her things and left (without getting the police involved thankfully).
She was psychotic and I'm glad we got her out of here.

I have personally ejected one solo guest in our 4 years here. She insisted that we had treated her rudely (specifically DH) and she wanted an apology. He told her he was very sorry if she thought he had treated her rudely, he had not meant to and was just in a hurry as he was handling the entire house by himself (as I was at the hospital after two family members were in a terrible car accicent, bringing them home).
She was a repugnant little woman, and said she didn't feel DH was being sincere in his apology, and as she was scheduled to stay for several more nights she thought she was entitled to a discount.
I promptly told her we would be happy to refund all of her money and that she should leave immediately. She didn't want to leave, she just wanted a discount. If someone had really treated you badly would a measly $10 off suddenly make it all better? I realized what I was dealing with walked to the phone and started to dial 911 to have the cops eject her. She finally relented and went and packed her things and left (without getting the police involved thankfully).
She was psychotic and I'm glad we got her out of here..
Hey, sounds like the one who wrote our one really bad review! We SHOULD have invited her and her cronies to leave!

Actually...gosh this sounds bad, and of course like I tell guests when they ask that all guests blur into one Joe Guest, EXCEPT THE BAD ONES! NONE OF THESE PAID FOR THEIR ROOMS I WILL ADD> I wanted them gone.
#1 "This is just not going to work, you are FREE to leave" This was the couple where HE rented the room with detached bath, the cheap SOB. She got HYSTERICAL. SHE WAS HYSTERICAL about it. As they left, he doggedly walked away across the porch and he turned back and said he was sorry. Oh yeah you will be sorry alright, was all I could say. She was BAD KARMA ALL ROUND< she would have ruined the peace and joy we have here. She had already caused a BAD SCENE.
#2 never asked them forcibly, but said it - the two couples from LOO-UH-Ville who thought we were somewhere else. Made me go nuts double checking all our maps and locations info after, like we do because we obsess. They were ticked that they drove all the way here and we were not NEAR the job they needed to visit. CHECK A MAP BONE HEAD!
They were very aggro as they would have to get up a half hour earlier than planned. They stood discussing it amongst themselves and I said, Please go, this is not going to work, no worries, I am sure you can get BACK in your car and drive the hour to be closer to where you want to be tomorrow. I was shaking after that encounter, and then cried. Felt like our place was crap and they hated it and didn't want to stay here.
#3 you all know the doctor and his wife from Michigan here for their grandsons graduation, the most pitiful pair I have ever encountered. The son and poor poor daughter in law, live in our area. Poor thing having them for inlaws!!!
I was in pita overload the very moment I met them, the hairs on my neck were in warning mode...there was no way no how it would end well. We had a full house. This was the LATE NIGHT we went out to the cottage where other innmates here have stayed and loved it, and they hated it and said it was awful and they made threats against us. YOU BETTER THIS, YOU BETTER THAT, OR ELSE. Or else what? I said, they said YOU WILL REFUND OUR MONEY! I said, we haven't charged you your flippin' room, feel free to leave. Then they simmered down and he told HER off in the backround and said, no it is okay, it is late we will just stay here.
Then we walked away and I was about to vomit I was so nauseated and told DH "no no no they have to go, they have to go now." He turned around knocked on the door and told them, Please leave, now. I didn't sleep all night from that one either.

No, but there are 2 times that we WANTED to, but did not -
1) A tour group compiled of 2, 3 day weekends with the same tour company...different guests each week, with the same guide & spouse. Thus the reason why we did not ask them to leave. The spouce was the problem... a real loo loo. She only stayed with us the 2nd weekend, the first they were at a near by hotel as their 1st group was larger. I should have guessed that she would be a problem as she was unhappy with everything at the hotel & the restaurants and did not go with them on the tours. We were dreading the 2nd weekend the entire time. All the other guests were very charming and knew we were on our last nerve... with this one. Things that she did: one morning I found cooked shrimp in our microwave that she had taken out of our freezer. (no we do not allow guests to use our kitchen). Took some antique cokes (the full ones, yes they say they are not for consumption, are collectables), screamed in my face & at DH, stole DH's jacket (we found it under her bed) ... Got a call from one of the (nice) restaurants that she had caused a scene the 1st week and that they were canceling their reservation for the 2nd... - boy I understood that one! I could say more but you get the picture. At the end of the 2 weeks the guide came and handed me a nice tip... I almost wanted to give it back to him with a couple of words - find an attorney!
2) This one I really can not give much info...other than the guy was very rude... demanded I assist him in a project (he was here doing work) since he knew I had been in that field in a previous life. - It was my fault I told him before I knew he was a jerk. He had not brought his PC but had to file something very important so used my PC... My processing software is the latest version and he was not use to it... I was bound to his bellowing every few minutes. Before he left, he brought in a VERY expensive bottle of wine and insisted we all drink together... It was one of the best bottles of wine I had ever had, but to share it in the company of this guy was not the best of evenings. All I can say on this forum is that we decided not to give him the boot because of the possibility of far worse that a bad review... And something far more costly!

We had one couple that was here for 2 nights and stayed in our main house. Part of a convention. The husband was up and down all night long, going outside to smoke almost hourly. Tromping up & down the stairs. I did not sleep a wink and normally we could never hear our guests from our quarters. There were no rooms downtown and we had not been open long so we were stuck. I told my dh that I didn't know how I would survive another sleepless night and have to take care of a full house. Luckily, the other room in the main house didn't hear this guest. Whew.
The wife was difficult at breakfast the first day and asked me to heat up dinner leftovers for her to eat at breakfast because of her special diet. (Trust me, these leftovers were not on that special diet!) We just hung in there. On their departure day after breakfast, she gave me a gift and asked if we could chat with them for awhile before they left. They said that they stayed in B&Bs all the time but I wondered. They were very complimentary about our B&B. They were fairly nice people, but this guy had a serious nicotine habit and was inconsiderate. They had booked our least expensive room but would have been better off in a room in our second house with it's own porch. Unfortunately, we were full and moving them was not an option either. :-(
Took me awhile to catch up on the sleep deprivation....

We've thankfully never had an instance that we had to evict a guest, although there where many PITAs like the guy last week that by some fortunate luck got a four day stay for free for an advertisement in a menu in our own town restaurant (don't ask dumb) he was in that room the first day ALL DAY, now if he was working you would think that he would not be at the B & B but out on the field trying to sell more ads. The second morning he did not show for breakfast and when he did come down he said he was screamed at by the boss cause he missed the 8AM conference call-ok so you really don't care about your job. Made me so mad, third day he played around and went up and down the stairs for the conference call , ate half the breakfast and then his boss called to see if we could give him another three days free-DH said NO! If I where the owner I would not have given him any days free,maybe a discount for the ad, but no days free.
Had a feeling about this one as soon as he spend his whole day in his room-don't get me wrong if you are here to work and we've had business people you dont spend the whole day in your room eating pop corn and drinking every single complimentary soda in the guest fridge-he took this place for a free ride.

The closest we ever came was two girls who thankfully only stayed one night. They came back from the local pub at 11.30 and then laughed, shreiked and banged about their room until 4am. Unfortunately they were in the room above ours which made it worse.
By 4am my other 'arf had had enough, I've never seen him so angry with a guest before or since. He went upstairs, banged on their door and shouted "can you please be quiet, you've woken me up 5 times" to which they shouted "s*d off". He then said "If you say that one more time you're out the door now!". It then went very quiet.
They didn't appear for breakfast, when they checked out she threw her credit card across the desk at me and told me how unprofessional we are and she would tell all her friends not to come here. I replied that if her friends are as selfish and inconsiderate as them then we didn't want them here anyway.
She snatched her card after payment and stormed out the door, never to return I hasten to add.
If they had told me to "s*d off" they would have been out the door, 4am or not.

Just once...couple here for a week with two big shaggy smelly dogs FOR A WEEK. Our pet policies prohibited the dogs from getting on the bed or other furniture, and require them to be clean and well groomed.
Dogs were smelly and dirty, and the first morning I cleaned the room, the bed was covered with dog hair from stem to stern. I left her a very nice note reminding her about our pet policies, and she came to talk to me about it. She was very upset and insisted that they had not been on the bed....yeah RIGHT.
The rest of the week, she did not say three words to me. Ignored me when I would greet her, etc. Her hubby was a real smart-a$$...on the edge of being a dick. And the dogs left big dirty spots on every rug they layed down on...and of course they were not considerate of other guests when it came to the dogs either.
I wanted to badly to ask them to leave, but they were from the other side of the country, here for a week, and I knew no one else anywhere around would have taken them with the dogs.
One of the two reasons that we no longer accept pets.....

Shaggy and Smelly a bad combo indeed!
whattha.gif

Question:
Do you find the longer you run your inn the more apt you are to ask a room to leave? In the beginning you didn't want to upset anyone and now you KNOW that the bad apple will ruin the whole bunch? Destroying what you offer guests - and drum roll for those worried about TA -- and actually making ALL the guests experience negative and therefore offering an oppty for MORE bad TA reviews?

Question:
Do you find the longer you run your inn the more apt you are to ask a room to leave? In the beginning you didn't want to upset anyone and now you KNOW that the bad apple will ruin the whole bunch? Destroying what you offer guests - and drum roll for those worried about TA -- and actually making ALL the guests experience negative and therefore offering an oppty for MORE bad TA reviews?.
I don't comment much, but do read all the time. You have hit it directly on the head. The longer you run the business (7 yrs here) the more adept you become at reading people. We have never removed anyone mid-stay, but we have become better at reading problems during check-in. We have in the past two years, refused 3 couples from checking in - just a strong gut feeling of potential problems. And as you said, one bad guest can ruin the entire atmosphere for the other guests, and thus create a miserable time for everyone, including us.

Question:
Do you find the longer you run your inn the more apt you are to ask a room to leave? In the beginning you didn't want to upset anyone and now you KNOW that the bad apple will ruin the whole bunch? Destroying what you offer guests - and drum roll for those worried about TA -- and actually making ALL the guests experience negative and therefore offering an oppty for MORE bad TA reviews?.
The best is when you can figure out when they're trying to book - we have turned away at least two reservations in the last six months that were clearly going to be problems. I feel like I have gotten better about being firm in those cases over time.

Question:
I don't comment much, but do read all the time. You have hit it directly on the head. The longer you run the business (7 yrs here) the more adept you become at reading people. We have never removed anyone mid-stay, but we have become better at reading problems during check-in. We have in the past two years, refused 3 couples from checking in - just a strong gut feeling of potential problems. And as you said, one bad guest can ruin the entire atmosphere for the other guests, and thus create a miserable time for everyone, including us.
Boomer said:
I'm curious, on what basis did you deny them check-in?

Question:
I think the longer you run the business, the more confident you become in your ability to make it a success and you realise you don't have to put up with the c*** from the very few PITA's.

Question:
Really good points, Boomer!!

Question:
Boomer said:
The latest was just last week. We have been having an unusual busy mid-week season this year and had all nine rooms booked mid-week last week. Last room to check-in was a very miserable couple who had a bad experience at the last B&B they stayed at on this week long trip. All we heard for 10 minutes was a complete run down of this other B&B, which we know nothing about, well we do now. Anyway, they would not listen to anything we had to say, all we heard was "you better not do this and that" and we "don't want to hear anything from you" and on and on. Demanded that we allow them to bring their own liquor into our restaurant, as the previous B&B would not allow this. After trying to explain to them for a 3rd time, I got up from behind my desk, offered to book them at the nearby Hampton Inn, and politley asked them to leave.
I have a strong feeling there was nothing wrong with the last B&B other than the fact they allowed this couple to check-in in the first place

Question:
Boomer said:
Highlands John said:
[I'm curious, on what basis did you deny them check-in?
I wonder too. I've checked in many a dour and sour couple, but always assumed it was because of a stressfui drive, or a fight in the car or family problems. Every time, they come down to breakfast (or even after dessert the first night) and I don't even recognize them as the same people. But then, 20 years in hotel front of house managment (and the guests thereof) make me much more patient and forgiving than your average bear with this whole different class of guest.

Back