Have you ever asked guests to leave your B&B/inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question:
Do you find the longer you run your inn the more apt you are to ask a room to leave? In the beginning you didn't want to upset anyone and now you KNOW that the bad apple will ruin the whole bunch? Destroying what you offer guests - and drum roll for those worried about TA -- and actually making ALL the guests experience negative and therefore offering an oppty for MORE bad TA reviews?.
I don't comment much, but do read all the time. You have hit it directly on the head. The longer you run the business (7 yrs here) the more adept you become at reading people. We have never removed anyone mid-stay, but we have become better at reading problems during check-in. We have in the past two years, refused 3 couples from checking in - just a strong gut feeling of potential problems. And as you said, one bad guest can ruin the entire atmosphere for the other guests, and thus create a miserable time for everyone, including us.
Boomer said:
I don't comment much, but do read all the time. You have hit it directly on the head. The longer you run the business (7 yrs here) the more adept you become at reading people. We have never removed anyone mid-stay, but we have become better at reading problems during check-in. We have in the past two years, refused 3 couples from checking in - just a strong gut feeling of potential problems. And as you said, one bad guest can ruin the entire atmosphere for the other guests, and thus create a miserable time for everyone, including us.
I'm curious, on what basis did you deny them check-in?
Highlands John said:
[I'm curious, on what basis did you deny them check-in?
I wonder too. I've checked in many a dour and sour couple, but always assumed it was because of a stressfui drive, or a fight in the car or family problems. Every time, they come down to breakfast (or even after dessert the first night) and I don't even recognize them as the same people. But then, 20 years in hotel front of house managment (and the guests thereof) make me much more patient and forgiving than your average bear with this whole different class of guest.
Many a time we wonder if it's the same people who come down to breakfast who checked in the night before.
We had a couple staying in May for 3 nights, and the pair of them were miserable as sin the whole time. Does make you wonder what you've done wrong. They left a glowing report on our guest feedback form and a lovely thank you in the visitors book. I turned to my better half and said "Where did that come from".
But agree with boomer that you can spot many a PITA at check-in.

Question:
Do you find the longer you run your inn the more apt you are to ask a room to leave? In the beginning you didn't want to upset anyone and now you KNOW that the bad apple will ruin the whole bunch? Destroying what you offer guests - and drum roll for those worried about TA -- and actually making ALL the guests experience negative and therefore offering an oppty for MORE bad TA reviews?.
Boomer said:
Highlands John said:
I wonder too. I've checked in many a dour and sour couple, but always assumed it was because of a stressfui drive, or a fight in the car or family problems. Every time, they come down to breakfast (or even after dessert the first night) and I don't even recognize them as the same people. But then, 20 years in hotel front of house managment (and the guests thereof) make me much more patient and forgiving than your average bear with this whole different class of guest.
I agree with you, and have checked in many of the folks you mention, otherwise we'd be looking for another business. But at the same time, many people understand that customer service and hospitality owners and staff are really tied as to how they can respond and fully take advantage of this, sort of a self empowering outlook on life. My other half has been chef/owner of restaurants from more than 20 yrs and nothing surprises her anymore.

Question:
Boomer said:
The latest was just last week. We have been having an unusual busy mid-week season this year and had all nine rooms booked mid-week last week. Last room to check-in was a very miserable couple who had a bad experience at the last B&B they stayed at on this week long trip. All we heard for 10 minutes was a complete run down of this other B&B, which we know nothing about, well we do now. Anyway, they would not listen to anything we had to say, all we heard was "you better not do this and that" and we "don't want to hear anything from you" and on and on. Demanded that we allow them to bring their own liquor into our restaurant, as the previous B&B would not allow this. After trying to explain to them for a 3rd time, I got up from behind my desk, offered to book them at the nearby Hampton Inn, and politley asked them to leave.
I have a strong feeling there was nothing wrong with the last B&B other than the fact they allowed this couple to check-in in the first place
Boomer said:
.... All we heard for 10 minutes was a complete run down of this other B&B, which we know nothing about, well we do now. Anyway, they would not listen to anything we had to say, all we heard was "you better not do this and that" and we "don't want to hear anything from you" and on and on. Demanded that we allow them to bring their own liquor into our restaurant, as the previous B&B would not allow this. After trying to explain to them for a 3rd time, I got up from behind my desk, offered to book them at the nearby Hampton Inn, and politley asked them to leave.
I have a strong feeling there was nothing wrong with the last B&B other than the fact they allowed this couple to check-in in the first place
They were sour, no sence putting yourself and your other guests through the pain of hearing their
potty-mouth.gif
ing. i bet you are right about the other B&B as well.

Question:
Boomer said:
The latest was just last week. We have been having an unusual busy mid-week season this year and had all nine rooms booked mid-week last week. Last room to check-in was a very miserable couple who had a bad experience at the last B&B they stayed at on this week long trip. All we heard for 10 minutes was a complete run down of this other B&B, which we know nothing about, well we do now. Anyway, they would not listen to anything we had to say, all we heard was "you better not do this and that" and we "don't want to hear anything from you" and on and on. Demanded that we allow them to bring their own liquor into our restaurant, as the previous B&B would not allow this. After trying to explain to them for a 3rd time, I got up from behind my desk, offered to book them at the nearby Hampton Inn, and politley asked them to leave.
OK, clear cut case right there of the exact sort of guest you don't want to check in at all! I think that even if we didn't have any of the restrictions they were telling us we'd better not have, we would have decided they needed to leave.

Question:
Boomer said:
OK, clear cut case right there of the exact sort of guest you don't want to check in at all! I think that even if we didn't have any of the restrictions they were telling us we'd better not have, we would have decided they needed to leave.
One of the danger signs is people who phone/email and say "We'd like to book your hotel".
NO, this isn't a hotel this is a B&B. I've refused booking on that basis. People who think this is a hotel think they can treat you like staff, in my experience.
Recent experience of man who marches into the house, no door bell. His opening gambit is "Someone will have to help us with our luggage". No, hello, how are you, we are xxx. I wish I'd thought to say "Someone doesn't have to do anything of the kind, but if you ask nicely I will help you!".

Question:
Boomer said:
One of the danger signs is people who phone/email and say "We'd like to book your hotel".
NO, this isn't a hotel this is a B&B. I've refused booking on that basis. People who think this is a hotel think they can treat you like staff, in my experience.
Recent experience of man who marches into the house, no door bell. His opening gambit is "Someone will have to help us with our luggage". No, hello, how are you, we are xxx. I wish I'd thought to say "Someone doesn't have to do anything of the kind, but if you ask nicely I will help you!".
Luggage!! there is another sore point with me. With nine rooms on three floors, it is risky as we get older to be dragging possible 18 suitcases up and down stairs. I cannot understand a one nighter who has to bring in 3 full size cases, can't they consolidate? We do assist our older guests, but it can get out of hand at times.

Question:
Boomer said:
Luggage!! there is another sore point with me. With nine rooms on three floors, it is risky as we get older to be dragging possible 18 suitcases up and down stairs. I cannot understand a one nighter who has to bring in 3 full size cases, can't they consolidate? We do assist our older guests, but it can get out of hand at times.
I traveled to the UK for a week in November last year. One bag plus a carry on laptop bag. My dh was there for 2 weeks on business and had the same number of bags. I don't get all the bags either.

We asked a couple we knew were smoking in their bathroom...trying to hide it by doing it out the window. We could smell the smoke in the curtains! They of course denied it, but said it was their clothing. They PROMISED they would not..they did not want to go...and they were good the rest of the week. I hated like the dickens to confront them..but I just had to.

Boomer had a one nighter who had four trips in to bring everything in. When they checked out today I said HOLY COW! How did you fit that all in the room! They laughed, they had their car packed to the gills and did not want to leave anything IN the car. They got here after 8pm, and brought in all the food, the clothes on hangers, the suitcases, two igloos and last but not least this great big teddy bear!

Question:
Boomer said:
I traveled to the UK for a week in November last year. One bag plus a carry on laptop bag. My dh was there for 2 weeks on business and had the same number of bags. I don't get all the bags either.
Me... I always pack too much. I'd be in trouble for sure now...and would have to learn to pack lighter with all the fees they charge..though I had to pay extra anyway on our last trip abroad. And I travel with a full complement of drug store items...just in case
embaressed_smile.gif

What is that saying...
Pack your bags and get your money
Now unpack half your bags and double your money.

Question:
Boomer said:
We had guests who had all of their 'stuff' for 3 weeks in 2 suitcases (3 people). The suitcases could EASILY have hidden a full sized adult. I told the guest (who was young and healthy) that he could wheel the suitcases across the grass to save him going down the stairs. I told him, 'We drive a tractor across the grass, really, it's ok.'
He just looked at me and smiled and said, 'You think your tractor weighs MORE than this suitcase?'

I over pack I know I do but I don't expect that anyone helps me its my own stupid fault. However for our star rating we have to ask if you would like any help with your luggage. I have found that people's room allocation changes in my mind depending on what luggage they have ie move to ground floor for three bags up to top floor for 1. LOL

Question:
Boomer said:
Highlands John said:
Checking in sour and stressed out people is a fact of life in this business. People who question every policy and have some reason why they should be excepted, or people who just want a combination of things that you don't have - those are people you are better off turning away.
My most recent one was a twitchy guy from Long Island (sounded just like Woody Allen on the phone) who first had his travel agent call - I already don't like a third party getting the info - who tells me he needs a view, a king-sized bed, and very upscale accommodations. He makes two more phone calls - DH answers the first and I answer the second - and it is clear that if he stays here he would really be compromising what he wants in accommodations, and for three nights. I told him we couldn't meet his needs and sent him to the more upscale independent hotel in town. They have water views, king beds, and room service that we don't have. God bless them if he booked there. God only knows why they called us in the first place.

Question:
Boomer said:
Highlands John said:
Checking in sour and stressed out people is a fact of life in this business. People who question every policy and have some reason why they should be excepted, or people who just want a combination of things that you don't have - those are people you are better off turning away.
My most recent one was a twitchy guy from Long Island (sounded just like Woody Allen on the phone) who first had his travel agent call - I already don't like a third party getting the info - who tells me he needs a view, a king-sized bed, and very upscale accommodations. He makes two more phone calls - DH answers the first and I answer the second - and it is clear that if he stays here he would really be compromising what he wants in accommodations, and for three nights. I told him we couldn't meet his needs and sent him to the more upscale independent hotel in town. They have water views, king beds, and room service that we don't have. God bless them if he booked there. God only knows why they called us in the first place.
You don't have views ???? HA HA...obvioulsy no one even looked at the website did they? Well you are SR, so they probably figured you could fill his needs. SORRY...you don't need that kind of PITA.

Yes, but, thank heavens, only once. He Middle Eastern, she tall, leggy, buxom blond bombshell in micro jersey tube dress, possible working girl. Great arrival manners, all was hunkey dorey, smiles and all. Showed to their room and head out when he has a question. Left the door open behind me and it slammed with enough force to rock the house. She starts shouting and he overshouts her. Sounded like wrestling, rolling around the floor. Arguement and noise continued until it suddenly changed to a different rythm entirely. All quiet after that.
Came out for dinner, all smiles, diamonds sparkling, life is good. Late returning post 11PM, but smiles, had a great meal, etc., got up the stairs without assistance. Get to the room and slam the door and the fight is on, but with broken glass sounds. I take the stairs 2 at a time and knock. He comes and I tell him others are asleep and he needs to hold the noise down or I'd call the police to have them removed. All quiet on the western front.
Skip breakfast and pack out as others are coming to the table. Smiles, diamonds and Gucci jacket all the way to the front door...which he slams to beat the band. Then about 5 hours later they sneak back in the driveway and he sends her in to collect the Gucci watch he forgot to get off the nightstand on the way out.
I expected a charge-back, but never heard from them again.

Only once did I eject guests. They arrived, he was smoking in the room. I told him he couldn't. His wife said he had to and so I got my phone, phoned a hotel who could take them, removed their luggage from the house and they left. Fortunately it was within the first hour of their stay.

Question:
Boomer said:
My plan for going to Germany next year is to mail a box of clothes and things I would be taking as gifts to my cousin (he is an APO address), pack only the "important"things like underwear and a couple changes in a carry-on. I am going for a month and I figure that will be cheaper than paying the luggage fees for the airline. I always expect to have a couple novenas to the washing machine when I travel because I travel light as possible.

Back