Have you ever discovered drugs or paraphernalia in a guest room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
You have other rooms booked in, so they are not there on their own to party.
What did you do? Or what do you think you would do?
  • Confiscate it and wait?
  • Call the police?
  • Kick them out right then and there?
  • Ignore it?
Would it matter what it was as to how you reacted?

They left it right out for you to see?? I guess it would matter what it was. If it were a heroin line with stuff beside it..then I would be calling the cops. If a marijuana cig. Nothing to be said...except...don't be smoking anything in my house..or else they would get a call to cops as well.

I am Campus Police and serve bfast on a tray to the room before I go to work in my uni (unless its my days off). Never seen any drugs,etc in the rooms.Most people would see drug items and not know it was drug related at all. We have a photo chart in our office of about 85 drug items...Mary in Bwater :)

Yowza, I probably wouldn't even know what I was looking at...is this a "real time" situation???

I am so glad there is such little response. I am hoping this rarely happens.

Well no, I am not asking for a crime scene investigator or detective work, just you as an innkeeper if you saw it what would you do. I have had this happen in the past, when I found towels rolled up under every door in a guest room and still smelled pot wafting down from above! I believe at that time I said I would rather have someone here stoned and lazy than any other option.
I didn't get a chance to finish this - a guest needed me.
So NO I don't allow people to do drugs in the room, when I went to check the room I found the towels rolled up and smelled it before they checked out. They checked out. But my comment was given a stoned guest laying on the front porch decking (we had this too), vs a stupid obnoxious idiotic drunk person vomiting and/or trashing the room...

We found some pot in a small tube in a drawer left behind so we threw it in the bin for lack of any other clue what to do with it. But we have never had a problem with the harder stuff

much rather have and be around stoners than drunks...If it were pot........I'd probably want to confiscate for my own use.
Cocaine, heroin, crack......will be removed, as will the people.........understanding addictions....I would give it back to them upon departure.
If there were an exorbitant amount of pills......they would certainly get questioned.
Regarding pot........not in the house.......I have no problem at all with them wreaking of the smell.........no actively smoking in the house......go for a walk, in the car.

I'd give them the option to leave (no refunds) or let the sheriff deal with them. I don't have to be tolerant. They're breaking the law.
Do any of you have a stated "no illicit drugs" policy?

To my knowledge no. I have only smelled pot once - wehn date took me to a party years ago. It was a last date. I had no intention of being arrested when all I did was get taken to a party.
I would request them to leave. I do not want "drugs" in my house that might make ME subject to confiscation. We have enough drugs in this house thanks to all the doctors SH goews to.
CatLady - how is hubby doing speaking of meds......

To my knowledge no. I have only smelled pot once - wehn date took me to a party years ago. It was a last date. I had no intention of being arrested when all I did was get taken to a party.
I would request them to leave. I do not want "drugs" in my house that might make ME subject to confiscation. We have enough drugs in this house thanks to all the doctors SH goews to.
CatLady - how is hubby doing speaking of meds.......
Thanks for asking. He is doing fine. Goes to DR. tomorrow. No more naproxen for him...only Tylenol.

Well, if they left a bunch of illegal substances laying out in plain view and they knew that you'd be freshening the room, they should be asked to leave because of utter stupidity!
Any kind of smoking was subject to a $250 cleaning fee here, I don't care what it was.

well i'm new to your program.....we are small inn in the middle of pot country....i find this interesting, we find a fair amount of pot or half smoked joints.....we just throw it out....if we found anything else we would throw it out as welll.....unless there was alot of it, then we would call the authorities.

I would not touch anyone's drug stuff. I probably wouldn't recognize anything as illegal anyway. Now if someone left some lines of coke on the dresser, that I would notice. And that's probably when we'd need to think up a policy. I guess this means I need to think about it now.

well i'm new to your program.....we are small inn in the middle of pot country....i find this interesting, we find a fair amount of pot or half smoked joints.....we just throw it out....if we found anything else we would throw it out as welll.....unless there was alot of it, then we would call the authorities..
Josie said:
well i'm new to your program.....we are small inn in the middle of pot country....i find this interesting, we find a fair amount of pot or half smoked joints.....we just throw it out....if we found anything else we would throw it out as welll.....unless there was alot of it, then we would call the authorities.
Floyd?

Back