Have you ever had a guest ask ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
To have someone come in and clean, but they refused to leave the room? I had that request today.
So hows that supposed to work?
"Glad you are enjoying your stay. Lift your feet please, so that I can vacuum around you."
"If you are finished in there, I would be glad to tidy up the bathroom''?
They requested this happen at 2 PM. Isn't this a little weird? I hope I don't live to regret this....

"Our housekeepers are all finished for the day but I'll be glad to get you some fresh towels or supplies if you need them". If they insist on a full cleaning then I tell them they will have to vacate for at least 45 minutes.
NO WAY does any cleaning happen if they are in the room.

Sheesh! These people are in a cottage, so I went over there at the pre-agreed to time of 2 pm and now they have a do not disturb sign on the door.
So, as far as I'm concerned, that ends the debate.

Had one today where they asked at breakfast if we cleaned. I said we do. He said don't bother. I said fine. Still wondering...
However, in the rooms we have 'welcome' cards that state we only clean empty rooms and only between 10-1. I'm done being a washerwoman at 1.

Had one today where they asked at breakfast if we cleaned. I said we do. He said don't bother. I said fine. Still wondering...
However, in the rooms we have 'welcome' cards that state we only clean empty rooms and only between 10-1. I'm done being a washerwoman at 1..
We're very similar. Our guest binder is in each room and it's resting up on the bed pillow opened to the welcome page which tells them that housekeeping is done when they leave their rooms by 12:00 We never want to disturb their privacy, so please contact us if they ever need fresh linens, etc after 12:00.
This policy works great for us because our guests relax in their rooms all day. This way I'm not hanging around hoping they leave in time for me to get to the store and make it back in time for check-ins.

Late to pipe in here. I have a notice stating that I refresh rooms between 11 and 1. Luckily if the guests are around during that time, they have been forfront in clearing the room for the time it takes me to freshen. Never have I had to ask anyone to lift their feet to vacuum etc. - That doesn't mean it will never happen...gee this year may be the beginning of a lot of firsts...

Late to pipe in here. I have a notice stating that I refresh rooms between 11 and 1. Luckily if the guests are around during that time, they have been forfront in clearing the room for the time it takes me to freshen. Never have I had to ask anyone to lift their feet to vacuum etc. - That doesn't mean it will never happen...gee this year may be the beginning of a lot of firsts....
We've had it quite a lot. I will not clean up like I'm someone's mother, around their feet and asking them to vacate the bathroom so I can clean. Gomez will, so he cleans alone. I will not make beds, empty trash, nope. I think it's rude to sit there while someone cleans up around you. If someone returns to the room while I'm cleaning, I leave. If they're back to stay and they won't stay out a few more minutes, I'm done.
It's not like I'm talking giant suites here. I can see if you have to work from your hotel room and it's a huge space that you might want housekeeping to come in and do what they can. But these are tiny rooms. (Comparatively speaking.) Believe me, if someone is lolling on the bed, I'm going to be bumping them if I try to clean.
It's just too personal. There's all their stuff and them and no, not doing it.
Can you tell this is really one of those things that bothers me a lot???

Late to pipe in here. I have a notice stating that I refresh rooms between 11 and 1. Luckily if the guests are around during that time, they have been forfront in clearing the room for the time it takes me to freshen. Never have I had to ask anyone to lift their feet to vacuum etc. - That doesn't mean it will never happen...gee this year may be the beginning of a lot of firsts....
We've had it quite a lot. I will not clean up like I'm someone's mother, around their feet and asking them to vacate the bathroom so I can clean. Gomez will, so he cleans alone. I will not make beds, empty trash, nope. I think it's rude to sit there while someone cleans up around you. If someone returns to the room while I'm cleaning, I leave. If they're back to stay and they won't stay out a few more minutes, I'm done.
It's not like I'm talking giant suites here. I can see if you have to work from your hotel room and it's a huge space that you might want housekeeping to come in and do what they can. But these are tiny rooms. (Comparatively speaking.) Believe me, if someone is lolling on the bed, I'm going to be bumping them if I try to clean.
I would never clean with guests in room either. I think for some people it becomes a power trip. They feel empowered to watch you clean and serve for them. Getting this from confessions of a past customer, she admitted she like to do this in places she went. (Sorry, another retail story.) I think it is really important not to go there. Offering clean towels, OK. Help with an "accident". Fine, stuff happens. But clean while you sit and watch. No Way. Would not allow housekeeping staff to do this either. I think a policy statement wording about rooms cleaned while you are out or vacant might help here. But absolutely agree a line must be drawn. They are the guest, yes; but they are paying to stay under YOUR roof!

I would never clean with guests in room either. I think for some people it becomes a power trip. They feel empowered to watch you clean and serve for them. Getting this from confessions of a past customer, she admitted she like to do this in places she went. (Sorry, another retail story.) I think it is really important not to go there. Offering clean towels, OK. Help with an "accident". Fine, stuff happens. But clean while you sit and watch. No Way. Would not allow housekeeping staff to do this either. I think a policy statement wording about rooms cleaned while you are out or vacant might help here. But absolutely agree a line must be drawn. They are the guest, yes; but they are paying to stay under YOUR roof!
Well, I think you may have nailed it for me. I feel demeaned, I guess, having people watch me scrub and clean. I don't mind doing the work, just don't want to be watched. I don't even like cleaning my own space when anyone is home.

Well, I think you may have nailed it for me. I feel demeaned, I guess, having people watch me scrub and clean. I don't mind doing the work, just don't want to be watched. I don't even like cleaning my own space when anyone is home.
I don't even like cleaning my own space when anyone is home
Me neither! If here, DH is poiinting out what I missed instead of being grateful for what I did!

Me neither! If here, DH is poiinting out what I missed instead of being grateful for what I did!
gillumhouse said:
Or instead of getting up to take care of it (the missed area) for me. (sorry gillum, just had to add that as it fit my DH too)

gillumhouse said:
Or instead of getting up to take care of it (the missed area) for me. (sorry gillum, just had to add that as it fit my DH too)
Get up? We expect them to get UP and take care ot it? It is surprising how much DH manages to do when it is something he wants to do and how helpless he can be otherwise.
Of course, I am the only one who can among other things:
  • balance a checkbook
  • take out garbage
  • start a load of laundry
  • change sheets
  • put clothes away
  • make appointments for the car to go to the shop
Thank goodness he DOES do the dishes!

gillumhouse said:
Get up? We expect them to get UP and take care ot it? It is surprising how much DH manages to do when it is something he wants to do and how helpless he can be otherwise.
Of course, I am the only one who can among other things:
  • balance a checkbook
  • take out garbage
  • start a load of laundry
  • change sheets
  • put clothes away
  • make appointments for the car to go to the shop
gillumhouse said:
Dishes are good.

We have policies in all our rooms that we call "Garey House Information" where all our rules and helps are and one of them is if they want maid service (as in cleaning bathroom/cleaning the room/changing sheets etc) they are to tell us at breakfast...all they have to do is ay Maid Service before they leave the main house and we will gladly do it. If they stay with us longer than 3 days we change the sheets. Don't know why, but most of our guests said not to bother with Maid Service, guess they prefer their privacy.
In retrospect of DH's....I don't put hi clothes away anymore. He does do dishes and does help me clean...lets not get into changing our sheets.

Back