Have you lost a booking because you don't take a particular credit card?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Nothing to do with not taking credit cards at all, just not taking certain ones. ie- You don't take AmEx, or you don't take Discover.
I've had guests who reserved with card type A walk in the door with card type B at which point I tell them I don't take card type B and they get all huffy. OR, girlfriend X books room and girlfriend Z has the card I don't take so they stand there and whine about how are they going to work this out if they want to split the bill? (OK, I can solve that problem for them, just wondering if guests are SO attached to ONE card that they don't have any other card at all?)
Or, guest wants to reserve and you say you don't take the card they have. I could always take a check in advance.
So, basic question is, ever lose a booking because you don't take the card they want to use?

Many use their "specific" card because they are collecting their "reward" points. We took amex so that was a good thing as lots used it. But never had anyone not book because we did not take Discover. They usually had a wallet full of cards...just take your pick they said:)

Many use their "specific" card because they are collecting their "reward" points. We took amex so that was a good thing as lots used it. But never had anyone not book because we did not take Discover. They usually had a wallet full of cards...just take your pick they said:).
catlady said:
Many use their "specific" card because they are collecting their "reward" points. We took amex so that was a good thing as lots used it. But never had anyone not book because we did not take Discover. They usually had a wallet full of cards...just take your pick they said:)
I called AmEx to see if they would lower the % I pay in commissions (discount fee in cc-speak) and was told that because I had reached a certain point (over $24k/year) that I no longer qualified as a 'small business' so could not get any lower discount fee. What? I would think the more I brought in, the better the rate. I guess I start asking for V/MC and get that back below $24k for AmEx cards.
My SIL is saving up to buy a car with her GM card. Good luck on that one!

No, I have never lost a booking because I do not take Amex or Discover. I do take checks (preferred over Debit Cards), they do not cost me fees and I have not had a bad check in all these years. Cash, hiwever is my favorite color (and it all goes on the books).

We only take V and MC and to my knowledge we have never lost a reservation because of it.... but it is one of those things where absence of proof might not be proof of absence. I won't have any idea how many don't reserve online because the site only accepts V&MC. I won't know how many don't call because our site clearly says that we only accept V&MC (and check and cash).
As a card user I like to use my Discover, but I have a Visa in my wallet for those times when I am in a place that does not take Discover. If I had an Amex I would certainly carry a back-up.

We only take V and MC and to my knowledge we have never lost a reservation because of it.... but it is one of those things where absence of proof might not be proof of absence. I won't have any idea how many don't reserve online because the site only accepts V&MC. I won't know how many don't call because our site clearly says that we only accept V&MC (and check and cash).
As a card user I like to use my Discover, but I have a Visa in my wallet for those times when I am in a place that does not take Discover. If I had an Amex I would certainly carry a back-up..
If they want to pay the balance on a card that you don't accept, that's their problem. It's easily resolved by putting it on the card they reserved with in the first place.
Our guests can pay by Visa, Mastercard or any Debit card with a pin. Cash is fine too.

No.
I take a deposit at time of booking, VISA/MC... guests always have one of those. Several times they've asked about AmEx or Discover, but when I say don't take them they always have the VISA/MC ready.
=)
Kk.

I forgot to add that almost all of our business travelers to date have used American Express & we've had plenty of other folks use Amex. I have yet to have anyone use a Discover Card.

I forgot to add that almost all of our business travelers to date have used American Express & we've had plenty of other folks use Amex. I have yet to have anyone use a Discover Card..
2 of the main cooperations in town use AMX so I take it. They have been switching to Visa /MC for which I am forever grateful.

Many use their "specific" card because they are collecting their "reward" points. We took amex so that was a good thing as lots used it. But never had anyone not book because we did not take Discover. They usually had a wallet full of cards...just take your pick they said:).
catlady said:
I called AmEx to see if they would lower the % I pay in commissions (discount fee in cc-speak) and was told that because I had reached a certain point (over $24k/year) that I no longer qualified as a 'small business' so could not get any lower discount fee. What? I would think the more I brought in, the better the rate. I guess I start asking for V/MC and get that back below $24k for AmEx cards.
My SIL is saving up to buy a car with her GM card. Good luck on that one!
Seems to me that when I called AMX for a better rate they told me that I did not make enough to get a break percentage.What they told me and what they told you are direct opposites.

I know I have lost bookings over not taking Amex, Its so complicated to get them added to my CC machine. I have no desire to call 4 different numbers and sit and wait, We used to take them, But there was a swrewup, and to wait 3 weeks for my money. I cancelled them.
I applied for 2 of there cards, But was turned down because of lack of income (Many years ago) so why should I give them respect and use them?
Most guests pay with Visa or Mastercard, a few in checks and some with cash.
regular_smile.gif

Hate discover. Everytime I accept it they JUMP FOR JOY and tell me why...then I tell them, YES we are the ones giving you that $$ back. It is NOT Discover.
We accept everything, it is what it is.
"Cash gladly accepted with id"

We only take MC and V. Some have tried to pay with AMEX but understand we can't afford to use it.
Riki

Why not take AMEX and DISCOVER, and add $5.00 dollars to the room rate when they use those cards? We don't want to pay their ridiculous fees either, but as is repeated in this forum often, "A booking is a booking!"
I say that, but we don't take them.

Why not take AMEX and DISCOVER, and add $5.00 dollars to the room rate when they use those cards? We don't want to pay their ridiculous fees either, but as is repeated in this forum often, "A booking is a booking!"
I say that, but we don't take them..
ProudTexan said:
I say that, but we don't take them.
I think if you tried adding a fee to use a credit card you might find yourself in a pickle with both the card holder and the card issuer should anyone choose to make a deal out of it. However, anyone is welcome to try and let us know the results.

We are required BY LAW to take all these cards per our cc vendor agreement. We could not just take one out, or have a lawsuit on our hands. They warned us clearly, take one take all. AMEX was a must do for business guests. If we didn't take it we would not get those bookings.
The best we could do is say to a guest "We prefer visa if you have that"
We must display them and accept them.
You can offer a DISCOUNT FOR CASH. It is illegal to charge a fee to use a cc.

We are required BY LAW to take all these cards per our cc vendor agreement. We could not just take one out, or have a lawsuit on our hands. They warned us clearly, take one take all. AMEX was a must do for business guests. If we didn't take it we would not get those bookings.
You can offer a DISCOUNT FOR CASH. It is illegal to charge a fee to use a cc..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It is illegal to charge a fee to use a cc.
AMEX's fees should be illegal.

I say that, but we don't take them..
It is against the agreement you make with the processor. Technically, so is offering a discount for paying in cash.

You can offer a DISCOUNT FOR CASH. It is illegal to charge a fee to use a cc..
Why not use a different processor that is not so restrictive? THere are tons of them that don't force you to take all 4 cards. Unless they are offering you killer rates, there is no reason to put up with being BOUND to take all 4.

Back