Hawley B&B closed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawley

Reaction score
Just wanted everyone to know that I have closed the B&B. The city decided I had to put in sprinklers and electrical fire system. With 1 room and 2 suites, it would never pay for itself, even if I opened the last suite. So decided to close and use the large house as our personal residence, at least the first floor. 2nd won't get much use, but some. I have been real busy this year but it stops in the winter pretty much. I am retiring from my full time job in March, so don't know what will keep me busy, but it will probably have something to do with the 8 grand kids and husband. Thanks for your support over the years.

Sorry it was not completely in your hands when to decide it was time to close. I, for one, am hoping you have a 'grand' time with all the grandkids! Good luck with whatever it is that you choose to do in the future.

If you're happy then I'm happy for you! Best of luck with your "retirement" and time with the family. Hope that everything works out for the best!

Peggy all the best in whatever you do, and I hope your family laps up all the extra time and love they will get!
You have been a staple since the old days on the old forum and I will miss you. I hope you can drop in from time to time and share your life with us, on the other side of the "iron" so to speak.
PS If this allows any time for travel, please consider heading east and coming for a visit! :)

Good luck to you. Boy, what city are you in that they are shooting themselves in the foot - must not be one that has problems with cash flow? Working hard getting rid of small businesses, are they!
RIki

Everyone else has already pretty much said my sentiments. I'm sorry and mad, hope you do enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

Peggy all the best in whatever you do, and I hope your family laps up all the extra time and love they will get!
You have been a staple since the old days on the old forum and I will miss you. I hope you can drop in from time to time and share your life with us, on the other side of the "iron" so to speak.
PS If this allows any time for travel, please consider heading east and coming for a visit! :).
Would like to travel a little, but not sure where or when. Dh isn't too keen on it. Will fill my time well as I have cut back in other areas over the years so I could do a good job at the B&B and my job.
Over time there will be no more B&B's here. One hand has closed all but 2. I don't know what will happen to them. The other part of government needs revenue. This will be the last year they get it from me as soon as I pay in the taxes that I have collected.
I may continue to work part time too as it takes forever to hire someone and we do lose positions too.

Oh Peggy, I am sorry to hear that as I know you were planning on doing it more when you retired. But the city obviously doesn't have a clue about small B & B's ..that is too bad. But if you are okay with retiring it...I wish you all the best.

Peggy, I add my sentiments to the others. Gee, I did not know our Fire Marshal had moved to your State. He would fit in very well with your boneheads! I was told by a Fire COMMISSIONER that sprinklers are there to save property not people. You will probably find yourself so busy that you will wonder how you managed to work and run the B & B. It would have been nicer to have been totally your decision rather than a bureaucratic raid on your wallet to make the decision. I guess the local hotels could not handle the competition you gave them. Greedy
potty-mouth.gif
s! Enjoy those grandkids.

So sorry that your timeline was not your own. Best wishes for a happy "next phase of life"

that is very sad news. sorry to hear about the unfairness in your city.

Sorry to hear that. It is a shame when you plan and persevere only to have some out of the blue thing cause such an issue.
As a side note, maybe you can sell an ad on your website to one of the other B&B's in town.

Hope your future has a bright new begining. ..I learned 2 weeks ago a B&B close to me is closing in Jan.2011. I was shocked as I talk to her often and had no idea ! She is going to rent out her cottage as a rental home though... Maybe the 2nd floor of your B&B could be an apartment ? Best of wishes to you, Mary in Bwater

So sorry to hear that - here is an idea for you tho: Check into The Green House Project - www.thegreenhouseproject.org - may be a long shot, but thought I'd throw it out there to you and anyone else closing their doors. You'd probably still have to install stuff for the safety of residents, but it would be guaranteed occupancy and it seems to be the wave of the future.

Back