Head em' off at the pass???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Guests checked in yesterday afternoon. When I'm showing them around the room, the man specifically looks around the bathroom to make sure there is extra tp. I keep two extra rolls in each guest bathroom. This morning at about 7am...who comes to me and asks for a plunger? Yup, the TP scout. I give him the plunger and he's unable to get the issue taken care of; decides that the room is 'unsatisfactory' and asks for another room. Fortunately, I've got another vacant room to put them in for the next two nights.
Now, we occasionally have a plumbing issue around here. The house (and plumbing) are old. But most of the time, things work just fine. My guess is that he used too much tp and this caused the clog. Well, when they moved rooms this morning, He took both extra rolls from the first room!!!
rolleyes.gif
Now, there's 5 rolls of tp in the 2nd room for two more nights!! I just know this guy is going to clog that toilet, too. Do I mention the fact that the johns work just fine when there isn't too much put into them, or do I just wait for the inevitable???

I concurr!
I had a guy looking for a plunger one day recently. ONE NIGHT STAY, arrived at 9pm, ate brekkie at 8am, and by 9am BOTH BRAND NEW ROLLS had been used, there was perhaps 3 squares left on the second roll.

That's something that really gets my DH. Two couples in rooms both same amount of TP.
Both check out.
One has no TP left - have gone through two whole rolls in two days
Other has used half of one roll
I tell him it's the mystery of innkeeping that nobody has figured out.
RIki

Yup, I concur with everyone too...can't figure that out either of course it depends on the rolls. We have a little sign in each bathroom to please do a courtsey flush in the middle as our pipes are small...but that sometimes does not work either.

That's something that really gets my DH. Two couples in rooms both same amount of TP.
Both check out.
I tell him it's the mystery of innkeeping that nobody has figured out.
RIki.
egoodell said:
I wonder if they go through it that fast at home.
Or they may be walking out with a lot of it in their luggage. Some people take everything that's available to them. My sister for instance. She was raised just after the Great Depression, which may have something to do with it. I'm embarrassed to see her grabbing inch-thick wads of napkins and handfuls of ketchup packets at fast food places, most of which goes home with her.

I know I stayed at two B&B's consecutively once. One had single ply (is that the term?) and the other a thicker double and I used the single and went to the next B&B and found myself using 3/4 too much. So what people use at home DOES impact how much they use with you, until they get accustomed to it. I figure this is the case for any one nighter who tends to overuse the TP. of course who knows what is going on, so just as a blanket statement in defense of the users, o rmisusers as the case may be.

Jinxed myself, guy came looking for a plunger this afternoon! COURTESY FLUSH people, c'mon!!!!!

Okay there are a couple of issues here.
Regarding the plunger issue, I finally broke down and got a nice white handled plunger that sits in a hidden compartment for each of my 9 bathrooms. We don't have a lot of plunging issues here, but every time it DID happen it was embarrassed guest and grossed out innkeeper. And ALWAYS when I was still cooking and serving breakfast for the later seatings. Since I've just discreetly put one by each toilet, no issues. (So far, anyway). And much happier innkeeper and cleaning helpers.
And regarding mysteriously missing TP, I was appalled once to hear a story about a good friend of mine (whose DH is an attorney making 6 digits several times over) filling her suitcase at Disneyworld with 4 rolls of TP to bring home.
omg_smile.gif

Regarding the plunger issue, I finally broke down and got a nice white handled plunger that sits in a hidden compartment for each of my 9 bathrooms. We don't have a lot of plunging issues here, but every time it DID happen it was embarrassed guest and grossed out innkeeper. And ALWAYS when I was still cooking and serving breakfast for the later seatings. Since I've just discreetly put one by each toilet, no issues. (So far, anyway). And much happier innkeeper and cleaning helpers.
And regarding mysteriously missing TP, I was appalled once to hear a story about a good friend of mine (whose DH is an attorney making 6 digits several times over) filling her suitcase at Disneyworld with 4 rolls of TP to bring home.
omg_smile.gif
Every room DID have its own plunger...some of them have walked. Gross.

Why don't i have them in every bathroom near toilet? I don't want to clean the plungers or covers when men pee on them. there i said it. sorry, don't want anything within aim.

Only innkeepers would talk about toilet paper, toilets, and plungers.
barf.gif

We have the plungers in each bathroom. I noticed when I refreshed a room once that a guy had brought his own toilet paper. Some of that triple ply stuff! People just like to have what they're used to, I guess.

omg_smile.gif
Every room DID have its own plunger...some of them have walked. Gross.
Eeeeww.

Who steals a plunger??? wow. I like the idea of having them in the room if you have a nice place for it. Anything to keep them from coming down at 2 am.

Why don't i have them in every bathroom near toilet? I don't want to clean the plungers or covers when men pee on them. there i said it. sorry, don't want anything within aim..
Point taken, and appreciated. Your comment made me think of a very entertaining NPR story I heard once about how an airport got significantly cleaner mensrooms by giving the fellas something to aim at. You'll like this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_fly_in_urinal.htm

Who steals a plunger??? wow. I like the idea of having them in the room if you have a nice place for it. Anything to keep them from coming down at 2 am..
I have plungers under all the sinks in each bathroom. Saves me if there was a problem.

Anticipating this problem, we purchased pressure assisted toilets. I found this explanation on the web:
"From the outside, Pressure assisted toilets look identical to gravity toilets. When you lift the lid of a pressure assistedtoilet, however, instead of seeing water, you will notice an inner tank. The inner tank is completely sealed; when water is fed from the water line, the air inside the tank gets compressed. When the toilet is flushed, instead of just falling by the force of gravity, the water is forced out with the pressure of the compressed air. This pressurized stream of water cleans all the waste from the bowl much more efficiently than the water from gravity toilets. The pressure in the toilet is therefore created by using the water pressure provided by the water company - no pumps or other devices are used."
No clogs yet even with lots of paper going down. We absolutely love them and are planning to put one in our own bathroom when it gets remodeled next week.

Well, they've left. No more problems with the john as far as I know. Seemed happy when they checked out. They left before breakfast this morning. I gave them a little loaf of bread when they checked-out.

Well, they've left. No more problems with the john as far as I know. Seemed happy when they checked out. They left before breakfast this morning. I gave them a little loaf of bread when they checked-out..
No more problems with the john as far as I know.
This made me laough because when I was growing up:
My Pappy was John Sr
My Daddy was John Jr
My brother was John III (aka da turd)
All those Johns and we had a 2-seater out back! (and we never needed a plunger - just a stick for spider webs)

I know I stayed at two B&B's consecutively once. One had single ply (is that the term?) and the other a thicker double and I used the single and went to the next B&B and found myself using 3/4 too much. So what people use at home DOES impact how much they use with you, until they get accustomed to it. I figure this is the case for any one nighter who tends to overuse the TP. of course who knows what is going on, so just as a blanket statement in defense of the users, o rmisusers as the case may be..
You are right JB! We found a nice thick TP and thought it would last a little longer as you did not need as much to take care of matters. Not! The rolls dwindled down just as fast or faster and I came to the same conclusion. Went back to my nice 'middle grade'. lol

Back