Health Dept. just left ........

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Health Dept. has always called a few days before inspecting my BnB. 2 times I was out of town , so showing up doesn't always work. Got a new inspector ( he is very nice , friendly ) Called me 1 hour before coming and I was eating at the corner restaurant. Worry wart me....he saw all 3 rooms, barn ,hot tub room and my 1962 kitchen.......... but I passed....
thumbs_up.gif

Thank you all. Hope newbee's take notice . Innkeeping is a constant changing life .

Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
Health Dept. has always called a few days before inspecting my BnB. 2 times I was out of town , so showing up doesn't always work. Got a new inspector ( he is very nice , friendly ) Called me 1 hour before coming and I was eating at the corner restaurant. Worry wart me....he saw all 3 rooms, barn ,hot tub room and my 1962 kitchen.......... but I passed....
thumbs_up.gif
Sit back and relax now...

My health department inspector just came today also. I am so put off by this man. 10 years ago he earned the epithet "Mr.Clean" because of his officiousness and unwillingness to understand the ordinance he was supposed to be enforcing. His actions delayed my project by at least 4 months, caused a total re-design of my kitchen plans (unwarranted according to the law), and cost me $$$.
He used to send one of his minions to do the actual semiannual inspections. At least they would inspect. He now shows up, walks from the sink to the refrig with his high tech thermometer, then leaves. He acts like he's forgotten that we were ever in an adversarial position. (I haven't).
I don't really know which is worse - too much or none at all. I wonder what he does when he inspects actual restaurant kitchens.

My health department inspector just came today also. I am so put off by this man. 10 years ago he earned the epithet "Mr.Clean" because of his officiousness and unwillingness to understand the ordinance he was supposed to be enforcing. His actions delayed my project by at least 4 months, caused a total re-design of my kitchen plans (unwarranted according to the law), and cost me $$$.
He used to send one of his minions to do the actual semiannual inspections. At least they would inspect. He now shows up, walks from the sink to the refrig with his high tech thermometer, then leaves. He acts like he's forgotten that we were ever in an adversarial position. (I haven't).
I don't really know which is worse - too much or none at all. I wonder what he does when he inspects actual restaurant kitchens..
Innkeep said:
He acts like he's forgotten that we were ever in an adversarial position. (I haven't).
He probably has more adversarial situations than he can remember, and you only have the one. If he put you through all that, you know he's done it to lots of others.

Our hated local restaurant inspector just retired and everybody here is hoping she's replaced by someone more sensible and reasonable.

I don't really know which is worse - too much or none at all. I wonder what he does when he inspects actual restaurant kitchens..
Yes, our area has a building inspector like that. Thankfully, we have not had anything horrid arise, but we have heard of the challenges others have faced. We have some projects coming up, so I hope we catch him a good space.

Yes, our area has a building inspector like that. Thankfully, we have not had anything horrid arise, but we have heard of the challenges others have faced. We have some projects coming up, so I hope we catch him a good space.
My building inspector can quote CODE by chapter, section, verse better than most preachers can quote the Bible.

Congrats! Health Inspectors here never seemed to understand that I couldn't be in more than one place at once...
Then, I would get the comments like, "You know you don't have to use (insert name of better brand of something) in order to be in compliance". Really?
They were always very nice though and always remarked how clean everything was. Made me wonder...
omg_smile.gif

We've been lucky to have a good one. I'm proactive during inspections, showing him things we're supposed to have before he can ask. We've cemented a reputation with him that we're anal-retentive clean freaks, We also like asking him questions so he can let us know how we should be doing things.
Might be a coincidence, but we've had 100 scores for each of the past 2 years. (Which drives our competitor next-door nuts).

We've been lucky to have a good one. I'm proactive during inspections, showing him things we're supposed to have before he can ask. We've cemented a reputation with him that we're anal-retentive clean freaks, We also like asking him questions so he can let us know how we should be doing things.
Might be a coincidence, but we've had 100 scores for each of the past 2 years. (Which drives our competitor next-door nuts)..
PhineasSwann said:
Might be a coincidence, but we've had 100 scores for each of the past 2 years. (Which drives our competitor next-door nuts).
I do the same thing Phin. Our inspector changes every few years, so I'm always having to 'train' another one.
regular_smile.gif

This new one a few weeks ago tried to sneak up on me. He even commented that it's tough to sneak up on us here because of the gravel driveway and he likes his inspections to be a surprise.

Might be a coincidence, but we've had 100 scores for each of the past 2 years. (Which drives our competitor next-door nuts)..
PhineasSwann said:
I do the same thing Phin. Our inspector changes every few years, so I'm always having to 'train' another one.
regular_smile.gif

This new one a few weeks ago tried to sneak up on me. He even commented that it's tough to sneak up on us here because of the gravel driveway and he likes his inspections to be a surprise.
My inspector would be the one getting the surprise most likely - no one home. We are in and out too much for that surprise crap.

I had a young cocky health inspector show up one day a few years back when there were 60 kindergarten kids here for a farm visit. He told me to let the parents watch the kids while I went with him to inspect the B and B. I refused as my job was with the kids. He got pretty huffy. I finally said he could go inspect on his own or come back after 3pm. He couldn't do either and started harassing me in front of everybody for a good 5 minutes.. The house was clean, so I didn't care what he did. I finally said " You go phone your boss, give me the health booklet and your boss's name and phone number, and get out of here." He did. After the kids left l phoned his boss. He had already had a report from the inspector. I let him talk and then said, I want to tell you my side. I first asked him if they ever gave their inspectors any instruction on common sense, courtesy, or communication? No answer to that question. I can't believe it but then I gave the boss a piece of my mind and told him that the inspector is more than welcome to do a surprise visit but if I am busy with people, or my family is visiting, or I am serving guests their breakfast or if a houseful of guests has just left, there is no way an inspector is coming into my home. It is a private home and my taxes are paying for your jobs. The next day it rained and the school visit was cancelled so I called the boss and left a message saying the inspector was more than welcome to come out but he (the boss) would have to come with him. I have not been inspected in years. I wonder what is written all over my file at the health department.!!

I had a young cocky health inspector show up one day a few years back when there were 60 kindergarten kids here for a farm visit. He told me to let the parents watch the kids while I went with him to inspect the B and B. I refused as my job was with the kids. He got pretty huffy. I finally said he could go inspect on his own or come back after 3pm. He couldn't do either and started harassing me in front of everybody for a good 5 minutes.. The house was clean, so I didn't care what he did. I finally said " You go phone your boss, give me the health booklet and your boss's name and phone number, and get out of here." He did. After the kids left l phoned his boss. He had already had a report from the inspector. I let him talk and then said, I want to tell you my side. I first asked him if they ever gave their inspectors any instruction on common sense, courtesy, or communication? No answer to that question. I can't believe it but then I gave the boss a piece of my mind and told him that the inspector is more than welcome to do a surprise visit but if I am busy with people, or my family is visiting, or I am serving guests their breakfast or if a houseful of guests has just left, there is no way an inspector is coming into my home. It is a private home and my taxes are paying for your jobs. The next day it rained and the school visit was cancelled so I called the boss and left a message saying the inspector was more than welcome to come out but he (the boss) would have to come with him. I have not been inspected in years. I wonder what is written all over my file at the health department.!!.
charlie may said:
I had a young cocky health inspector show up one day a few years back when there were 60 kindergarten kids here for a farm visit. He told me to let the parents watch the kids while I went with him to inspect the B and B. I refused as my job was with the kids. He got pretty huffy. I finally said he could go inspect on his own or come back after 3pm. He couldn't do either and started harassing me in front of everybody for a good 5 minutes.. The house was clean, so I didn't care what he did. I finally said " You go phone your boss, give me the health booklet and your boss's name and phone number, and get out of here." He did. After the kids left l phoned his boss. He had already had a report from the inspector. I let him talk and then said, I want to tell you my side. I first asked him if they ever gave their inspectors any instruction on common sense, courtesy, or communication? No answer to that question. I can't believe it but then I gave the boss a piece of my mind and told him that the inspector is more than welcome to do a surprise visit but if I am busy with people, or my family is visiting, or I am serving guests their breakfast or if a houseful of guests has just left, there is no way an inspector is coming into my home. It is a private home and my taxes are paying for your jobs. The next day it rained and the school visit was cancelled so I called the boss and left a message saying the inspector was more than welcome to come out but he (the boss) would have to come with him. I have not been inspected in years. I wonder what is written all over my file at the health department.!!
great story! love that your priorities won out.

Back