Health Insurance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread, dh was laid off last week and doesn't intend to go find another job (if he even could with our town in the condition it's in!). We're covered for a while, and then could do Cobra... but I need to go shopping.
For those of you who do NOT have someone employed outside the inn providing your health insurance coverage, where do you get your health insurance? Would you be willing to share your cost, either publicly or in a private email?
Thanks in advance!
=)
Kk.

We found Cobra to be pretty expensive and for the first few years had our state's Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage. At that time it was around $300/month. We got nervous a few year's later about not being in a group (coverage can be cancelled for no reason as an individual) and found a group plan through the NASE (National Association of Self-Employed). It still has gone up evey year and we downsize our coverage every year to try to keep it somewhat affordable - for us that means between $400 and $500/month. We are right now at the low end of that because we now have an insurance plan that only covers us for illness or injury - no health maintenance or checkups (including ob-gyn) are covered, so they are all out of pocket, and we have a $5000 deductible. I had to have extremely minor outpatient surgery last year which cost about $5000 and we paid for it. The good thing the insurance does is get the lower rate for us from the doctors and hospitals.
We used an insurance broker to find our best option and it really varies state by state. You have to do your homework. I haven't worked in the corporate world for about 10 years so I'm pretty out of date on what an employee's share of medical is these days but I know it's gotten higher. Like Morticia, we wouldn't be without it. I broke an ankle about a year before we bought the B&B - three surgeries, two hospital stays and three months of rehab later we had racked up about $35000 in medical bills. We would have been hurting without insurance and we were both making much higher incomes at that time.

We found Cobra to be pretty expensive and for the first few years had our state's Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage. At that time it was around $300/month. We got nervous a few year's later about not being in a group (coverage can be cancelled for no reason as an individual) and found a group plan through the NASE (National Association of Self-Employed). It still has gone up evey year and we downsize our coverage every year to try to keep it somewhat affordable - for us that means between $400 and $500/month. We are right now at the low end of that because we now have an insurance plan that only covers us for illness or injury - no health maintenance or checkups (including ob-gyn) are covered, so they are all out of pocket, and we have a $5000 deductible. I had to have extremely minor outpatient surgery last year which cost about $5000 and we paid for it. The good thing the insurance does is get the lower rate for us from the doctors and hospitals.
We used an insurance broker to find our best option and it really varies state by state. You have to do your homework. I haven't worked in the corporate world for about 10 years so I'm pretty out of date on what an employee's share of medical is these days but I know it's gotten higher. Like Morticia, we wouldn't be without it. I broke an ankle about a year before we bought the B&B - three surgeries, two hospital stays and three months of rehab later we had racked up about $35000 in medical bills. We would have been hurting without insurance and we were both making much higher incomes at that time..
We have a pretty good plan through University of Virginia but they are always finding ways to decrease our coverage. This from a teaching hospital university. Yeah, they are really looking out for us..!
I don't know what I'm paying right now off the top of my head, but I do know that when I leave and take it with me, I will be paying about $600 - $700/month for the two of us, and we have no health conditions.
Riki

My policy (for 2 people) costs us over $1000/month. It is a business expense as it covers the 2 employees, myself and Gomez. Other than the large premium, it is a good policy as the deductible is $500 and it covers everything, including prescriptions. No dental. We pay that out of pocket.
There are only 2 insurers in my state as this is a 'no prior conditions' state. ie- I cannot be denied insurance because I'm sick. So no one wants to do business here because they can't exclude, heaven forbid, people who need insurance.

I forgot to mention that the group insurance people had us set up our insurance under an HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) so that all health care costs are reimbursed to the covered employee (me, in this case). Anyone can do it through the company directly - their website is baseonline (use the usual appendages). Using this, the insurance premiums and any costs related to healthcare - massage, chiropractor, aspirin - can be expensed against your business. Obviously you still pay for the costs, with no reduction in rate or reimbursement, but at least you can make it pre-tax dollars rather than post-tax dollars.

Check with your local chamber - they oftentimes have a plan for local businesses, as does Sam's Club and Farm Bureaus. We had blue cross blue shield small business insurance, you can find it online for the prices - depends on # in family, ages, smoking, drinking, location etc. If he will not be employed and not making an income then maybe there is state assistance available.

Our neighbor (runs a dog grooming shop) gets her insurance through the local chamber of commerce. Which is how we'd be getting it too if I weren't employed elsewhere. She told me hers just went up by $2000 a year with no warning, and that is just for her.

Everyone I know who is self imployed gets their insurance through the Chamber of Commerce. I think the prices vary by family size. We have BC/BS and pay $1,350/mo for the family plan.

Everyone I know who is self imployed gets their insurance through the Chamber of Commerce. I think the prices vary by family size. We have BC/BS and pay $1,350/mo for the family plan..
Country Girl said:
Everyone I know who is self imployed gets their insurance through the Chamber of Commerce. I think the prices vary by family size. We have BC/BS and pay $1,350/mo for the family plan.
You are lucky. Our chamber has no insurance to offer.
Riki

Let's not start a discussion of health care reform. Yellowsocks is pretty clear that what she wants is the information on what innkeepers currently do for health insurance. That's not a call for a debate on what should or should not be reformed. Leave that for the political forums.

I have plenty of opinions about health care reform, but I agree, let's avoid politics. Suffice it to say, I need something by March, not 2014.
Our CVB has something, I'm just not sure what it is yet...
Thank you very much for the information everyone!
=)
Kk.

Let's not start a discussion of health care reform. Yellowsocks is pretty clear that what she wants is the information on what innkeepers currently do for health insurance. That's not a call for a debate on what should or should not be reformed. Leave that for the political forums..
muirford said:
Let's not start a discussion of health care reform. Yellowsocks is pretty clear that what she wants is the information on what innkeepers currently do for health insurance. That's not a call for a debate on what should or should not be reformed. Leave that for the political forums.
I agree...I like that this forum is the one place I can come and not be deluged with people's political opinions.

Let's not start a discussion of health care reform. Yellowsocks is pretty clear that what she wants is the information on what innkeepers currently do for health insurance. That's not a call for a debate on what should or should not be reformed. Leave that for the political forums..
muirford said:
I agree...I like that this forum is the one place I can come and not be deluged with people's political opinions.
I really did not mean to put my political opinion in, as I really don't have one, I was just asking. I tried several time to take it off and I could not get it to come off.

I have taken this off and hope it works this time..
Deleted because without the statement this was in answer to, it does not make sense,. It was not meant to be political by the way, just answering a question.

Back