Heat resistant icing?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
Happy Saturday Frinnds
shades_smile.gif

I am making chocolate cupcakes for a dog event tomorrow. They will be outdoors during the event, though under shade. My usual vanilla icing is butter based and will not tolerate the heat we will have tomorrow. I really don't want to put store bought icing on my homemade cupcakes, so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.
Thank you!!

I haven't tried this...saw it on pinterest...bake a large marshmellow on top of the muffin. It's supposed to melt and cover the top like frosting. It firms back up and is sweet, so no need for icing.

GLOSSY CHOCOLATE ICING
Mix thoroughly in a 1 qt saucepan:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
Stir in:
1/2 cup BOILING water
1 Square chocolate cut in pieces (I use choc o bake)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I omit)
cook over medium heat until mixture thickens stir frequently (I stir continually)
Add:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
Spread while hot
You can double or triple this - I do because it is only enough to frost the tops of 2 layers and not that thick a coat of icing. I like ICING and on the sides. It is basically a pudding icing.

a simple icing
a bit of milk, touch of vanilla, melted butter and powdered sugar.

a simple icing
a bit of milk, touch of vanilla, melted butter and powdered sugar..
That's what my usual icing consists of. The butter doesn't hold up well, so that's why I wanted an alternative. But, then again, most icings are butter based.

I haven't tried this...saw it on pinterest...bake a large marshmellow on top of the muffin. It's supposed to melt and cover the top like frosting. It firms back up and is sweet, so no need for icing..
I Love that idea! Wish I had seen this sooner. I've been running around all day & not a marshmallow to be found in the house

a simple icing
That's what my usual icing consists of. The butter doesn't hold up well, so that's why I wanted an alternative. But, then again, most icings are butter based.
In the recipe I posted for you, the butter is for gloss. This icing will not melt. After a day or two it will dry out and crack - if it lasts that long.

a simple icing
In the recipe I posted for you, the butter is for gloss. This icing will not melt. After a day or two it will dry out and crack - if it lasts that long.
Ok, I gotcha. I've seen that one before - lotsa powdered sugar & a little bit of the others. Thanks!

a simple icing
Ok, I gotcha. I've seen that one before - lotsa powdered sugar & a little bit of the others. Thanks!
My recipe had NO powdered sugar. Mine is the cornstarch with butter for "glossy".

a simple icing
I only use a touch of butter. SOmetimes not at all. Use this as a glaze, or the thicker you make it..the more icing like it is.

Back