Heated Pool?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonehengeBNB

Reaction score
We have never run our pool heater because of the cost, but we are considering heating our in-ground/outdoor pool this Winter for our guests. Does anyone have insight into whether this is a "draw" for guests, or is just a silly waste of natural gas costs?

HI there,
Am I correct that you are located in the Richmond VA area? I don't know that folks would be in the mindset of swimming outdoors here in the winter, but you never know. I could see an outdoor hot tub more. There is an inn here in Charlottesville that has one and I want to get one. I could see that being used in the winter.
But I've been wrong before!!! You never know - it could draw people and not get used. Our suite with the whirlpool tub is always booked first, but the tub is used about 75% of the time. The pool could draw bookings but not get used!
RIki

HI there,
Am I correct that you are located in the Richmond VA area? I don't know that folks would be in the mindset of swimming outdoors here in the winter, but you never know. I could see an outdoor hot tub more. There is an inn here in Charlottesville that has one and I want to get one. I could see that being used in the winter.
But I've been wrong before!!! You never know - it could draw people and not get used. Our suite with the whirlpool tub is always booked first, but the tub is used about 75% of the time. The pool could draw bookings but not get used!
RIki.
Riki,
Good points, and yes, we're in Chesterfield County. We have a whirlpool tub in the guest room, so I know what you mean about "it's nice to have, but not always used" amenities. Perhaps we'll "try" marketing it and if people care--great, it's worth the money. If they don't, we can always shut off the gas and put the safety cover back on. :)
Thanks!
--Eriks

HI there,
RIki.
Riki,
Good points, and yes, we're in Chesterfield County. We have a whirlpool tub in the guest room, so I know what you mean about "it's nice to have, but not always used" amenities. Perhaps we'll "try" marketing it and if people care--great, it's worth the money. If they don't, we can always shut off the gas and put the safety cover back on. :)
Thanks!
--Eriks
Does the pool have a hot tub or can you hook one up? The one here is at Foxfi eld B&B and it's in a little gazebo which is really cute and does draw traffic. Go to the link and look at about the 8th photo down.
Since you're thinking of putting decks outside this would be really cute - a deck with a little gazebo and hot tub...!
RIki

You are talking swimming pool.....not a hot tub....
In RIchmond...if we have a winter like last year, you are not going to be using your outdoor pool.
I don't think most people in your area do. Most cover it and close it up for the winter.
I would not waste the money to heat it. Most people coming to a B & B do not expect a pool and if there was one..they would expect it to be covered in the winter.
An outdoor hot tub enclosed in a gazebo or on an enclosed porch is very popular and in the winter guests will still use them...but I am very doubtful they will use an outdoor pool.

My guess is it would be a waste of natural gas.
We have a hot tub that I keep running year round. It sits outside to take advantage of the views. For folks from warmer parts of the country the weather is too cold for them to even consider using it. People who live in climates with cold winters and know the joy of having snow flakes landing on your head as you sit in the tub will use it. It's pertty much my private tub in the winter months.

I wouldn't spend the money or waste the energy to heat an outdoor pool with only one guest room. I don't think that it's a big draw for your area either.

Back